PDA

View Full Version : Remember Cochran?

bpadivers
02-12-2010, 14:06
I remember when Cochran dive computers were these mysterious things no one could afford. Now you don't even see Cochran for sale anywhere. Are they out of business? Just as well I guess, there are so many awesome computers out there it is hard to keep current in technology.

I know dive computers from the 60's on used to be analog wierd bladder contraptions. Does anyone have a picture of one that I can use in a proposal?

ScubaToys Larry
02-12-2010, 14:19
Cochran had some pretty good ideas, but they had the worst customer service of any company we ever dealt with, and we had tons of problems with their products. And since the customer service was so bad, when we did have failures, they'd take forever to try to make it right - and some times they didn't even try...

Needless to say, we no longer carry them... and they are right in the same town as us - but it's better dealing with a company in California, as I can get better service from them than I can from walking into cochran.

comet24
02-12-2010, 16:55
Cochran is still sold/puched by one tec. store I know of but that may be more because of connections to the company then anything else.

When I think of Cochran I think of multi gas deco computers. In that realm there really are only two players today one should give a serous look at. Liquivision and Shearwater anything else is a distant third.

scubajane
02-12-2010, 17:37
soooo.... I have a cochran commander. I love it!!! i am very farsighted and have inserts in my mask. I cannot read my husbands computer under water. soooo.... My cochran is out of warranty and is no longer supported by the company so what is a comparable replacement that does not cost a fortune.

CompuDude
02-12-2010, 23:58
Cochran is still sold/puched by one tec. store I know of but that may be more because of connections to the company then anything else.

When I think of Cochran I think of multi gas deco computers. In that realm there really are only two players today one should give a serous look at. Liquivision and Shearwater anything else is a distant third.

While I agree with you, I suspect there are far more VR3's out there than X1s and Shearwater's combined.

With the Galileo Sol's trimix upgrade now shipping (in some areas) and the Uemis trimix upgrade coming along shortly, however, the market is about to get a lot more crowded.

comet24
02-13-2010, 03:57

While I agree with you, I suspect there are far more VR3's out there than X1s and Shearwater's combined.

With the Galileo Sol's trimix upgrade now shipping (in some areas) and the Uemis trimix upgrade coming along shortly, however, the market is about to get a lot more crowded.

Very true on the VR3's. I think Shearwater and Liquivision upped the scales with their products. In the end it's all good for us divers. Good competition means better improvements for us divers.

Interesting to see how the Galileo works out. I really don't know much about it or the Uemis. Although the Uemis looks interesting online I have never run into anyone diving one.

in_cavediver
02-13-2010, 08:07
I second the option on the VR3 - its a bit more dated that the shearwater or Liquidvision but its very 'proven' for what it is - a very capable OC/CCR multigas trimix brick on your wrist.

NAUIWowee
02-19-2010, 07:53
I know dive computers from the 60's on used to be analog wierd bladder contraptions. Does anyone have a picture of one that I can use in a proposal?

Click this link to a page that shows a couple examples of the "SOS" Decompression Meter.

Vintage Scuba Diving Accessories Collection (http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/accsview.html)

I have one of these that was marketed by ScubaPro.

yeroks
02-19-2010, 11:37
Saw them at the Dallas dive show and the guy I talked to was awfully strange. Not surprised that Larry had trouble dealing with them.

fireted
02-25-2010, 16:28
I totally agree with Larry on the whole NASTY customer service aspect.

My backlight died on the first dive in Rec. depths. Took over 7 months to get it replaced and only after dozens of longdistance calls to there C/S dept.

comet24
02-25-2010, 16:41
I totally agree with Larry on the whole NASTY customer service aspect.

My backlight died on the first dive in Rec. depths. Took over 7 months to get it replaced and only after dozens of longdistance calls to there C/S dept.

On the other side Shearwater has great customer service. Last year I scratched the screen saver really bad on my screen. Sent a message to Shearwater about purchasing a replacement. They asked for my address and in a few days I had a new screen with screen saver. No cost, no question, and very quick response.

gNats
02-25-2010, 18:31
Cochran was at the Dallas Dive Show. While I really liked the display and size, I do not like the programming technology. I found out that the computer will automatically switch to your next gas at the appropriate depth. At first I thought HEY! One less button to switch. However, if user error kicks in and I forget to change regulators (i.e., gas mixtures), or if something happens to that gas mixture at depth, I need to be able to abort the pre-dive plan and go to another plan. I guess the Cochran's don't do that. Which is a huge turnoff. Didn't know about the customer service, glad to find that out in advance.

I'm looking at the NiTek Trio.

Zenagirl
02-26-2010, 08:06
We picked up an old Cochran Commander Plus that had never been used for $100. It's a great back up to our back up, and we enjoyed playing with it on our last trip. Unfortunately, although it's supposed to be a nitrox computer, we're unable to turn on the nitrox capabilities, even with the computer program. :( Oh well, you get what you pay for, eh?

And I almost forgot....Cochran offered my husband a $350 trade-in for it if we wanted to buy a new one!!

Rorschach
03-27-2010, 19:23
soooo.... I have a cochran commander. I love it!!! i am very farsighted and have inserts in my mask. I cannot read my husbands computer under water. soooo.... My cochran is out of warranty and is no longer supported by the company so what is a comparable replacement that does not cost a fortune.

I don't know how many nitrox mixes a Cochran Commander was capable of switching between, but for a nice large display single mix 21% - 99% O2 computer the now-discontinued Tusa IQ-800 works great for me.

Tusa IQ 800 DC Sapience Wrist Computer reviews and discounts, Tusa (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=IQ800)

I picked one up a few years ago when short-arm disease was setting in more distictly. If you can find a bargain on one of these on closeout or pre-owned, I'd say snap it up. I really like mine, especially the vibrating alarm function combined with the display size & format.

Or, consider the new 2-nitrox-mix capable IQ-850, which replaced the now discontinued IQ-800.

Tabata USA, Inc. - NEW : IQ-850 DC SAPIENCE II [IQ-850] (http://www.tusa.com/shop/iq850-sapience-p-270-c-15_22.html)

Tusa IQ 850 DC Sapience II Nitrox Wrist Dive Computer reviews and discounts, Tusa (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=IQ850)

I find adding the theoretical tissue compartment loading bar graphs to the display to be kind of counterproductive personally. I know the 'fast' tissues are moving more quickly in terms of theoretical nitrogen loading than the 'slow' tissues, and the information on how this is occuring dynamically on a relative basis at any given point in time is something I can wait until downloading the dive data to my PC software to see.

scubajane
03-27-2010, 19:49
thanks I plan to check them out.

Rorschach
03-28-2010, 18:09
One thing I don't like about the IQ-850 is this model shows the NDL time remaining as a small font number and total elapsed dive time as a large font number.

This is completely opposite the IQ-800 display and opposite to me which numerical value I want in a nice big font size.

tmorg
05-13-2010, 18:28
Good deal on one, in Used stuff for sale
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e199/tmorg/006.jpg

DivingCRNA
05-13-2010, 20:26
I hate that you program your dive and it switches automatically. Stuff can happen to change your plan. I know that is also what tables are for, but a flexible computer sure helps.

ScubaStevo
06-02-2010, 13:14
The LDS where I got certified uses Cochran computers for all of there rental and personal gear. They swear by them. I didn't think they were all that special, but I didn't really get to use them too much.