PDA

View Full Version : power lung

paintsnow
09-03-2007, 22:57
Has anyone tried this and is it worth the money?

it sounds like it would work miracles for divers, but 90 bucks...

http://shop.navyseals.com/detail.aspx?ID=191&Name=PowerLung-Sport

DivingsInMyBlood
09-03-2007, 23:04
90 bucks seems like alot of money for what that is or looks what its worth. I guess if theres one group of people i know that like spending money on gizzmo's its divers.

Queen
09-04-2007, 08:08
I have one, when I was using it regularly it worked wonders. I just don't find the time for it anymore (kinda like most of my fitness regimen).

wxboy911
09-04-2007, 13:45
Here is one that looks similar...

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXPAND-A-LUNG-IMPROVE-BREATHING-BOTTOM-TIME_W0QQitemZ150158008860QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 150158008860

Its a lot less $$$ but I cant vouch for its ability to deliver better air consumption.

meesier42
09-04-2007, 19:45
I read something about them a while back, the only thing that I remember was they said it did nothing as far as improving breathing performance, which makes sense, you have been breathing since you were born, since it doesn't improve lung efficency what do you really expect it to do.

Personnally I would recommend trying Yoga, as basic Yoga is really just about relearning how to breath, a skill that I did find very useful while breathing off a regulator

Doghouse
09-05-2007, 15:06
Learning Tai Chi breathing would provide you with much more efficient breath usage. As you learn deep breathing. I am still working on remembering to relax enough to breath that way.

GodsDefog
09-05-2007, 15:42
They are worth every penny. It seems like a stab to the wallet but I'd go for it. When I was @ BUD/s in the navy everyone was getting them for endourance runs and long ocean swims. If you use this and practice proper breating you'll be under for hours.

paintsnow
09-05-2007, 21:14
I have one, when I was using it regularly it worked wonders. I just don't find the time for it anymore (kinda like most of my fitness regimen).

is it for sale?
:smiley36:

Kidder
09-05-2007, 21:52
That seems like an awful lot of $$$ for what it is. Can't you build your lung by running?

paintsnow
09-05-2007, 22:36
That seems like an awful lot of $$$ for what it is. Can't you build your lung by running?

actually i dont think you can, because the air resistance will always be the same so your lungs will eventually get as strong as they will be if they already haven't .

the powerlung provides resistance(i think) the helps build the muscles.

same reason you lift weights instead of just lifting your hands...

Queen
09-06-2007, 05:08

is it for sale?
:smiley36:

That would be the sensible thing to do with it...but it serves me better by making me feel guilty about not exercising whenever I see it laying in the drawer. :D

paintsnow
09-06-2007, 09:07
haha
that works i guess

now i have to bring myself to blow 90 bucks on something
pun intended

Subaqua
09-06-2007, 09:49
I would not spend money for that. I would rather do yoga to breath in a more efficient way and do any sport that improve cardio. I guess it might improve your "lung performance", but what if your globally not in good shape? If you're relax and in good shape physically and psychologically, for sure your breathing performance will improve.

GodsDefog
09-07-2007, 10:20
I would not spend money for that. I would rather do yoga to breath in a more efficient way and do any sport that improve cardio. I guess it might improve your "lung performance", but what if your globally not in good shape? If you're relax and in good shape physically and psychologically, for sure your breathing performance will improve.

Yes that will work but what if you're in shape, relax and breath right, and have super efficent lung by working them out too. Why not do it all and be as good as you can get. Got to be rounded. Even if you're not in shape working out your lungs is easier then the whole body. Its a faster way.

Scuba-Bill
09-07-2007, 10:23
... Personnally I would recommend trying Yoga, as basic Yoga is really just about relearning how to breath, a skill that I did find very useful while breathing off a regulator

As for the device I don't know, but I do agree with the Yoga. It has helped me reduce my air consumption.

freediver
09-07-2007, 17:54
I have a Power Lung, an Expand-a-Lung and a Sports Breather. They are all equally effective in delivering resistance to the diaphragm and the inspiratory/expiratory muscles. However, I would suggest that you ensure you are breathing correctly before starting a training program using these. The practice of Pranayama (Yoga breathing) is also effective but the added resistance from these devices will tax the lungs even more.
If you want a good idea how they work your lungs but you're not ready for the expense just yet........grab a coffee straw and breathe through it for several minutes. Make sure you're utilizing your diaphragm as you breathe.
Personally, I think they work very well.

Flatliner
09-07-2007, 21:43
I may be wrong but I am guessing this is a gaditized version of the same thing they give to everybody who has surgery. They call it incentive spirometery. You might be able to find one for free by talking to your friendly neighborhood Resp. Therapist or a former patient.

tweek909
09-10-2007, 09:33
This is good to know. I think I'll pick one up. It's well worth it!

yankeefan21
09-10-2007, 12:21
I was about to ask why you can't do the same thing with an old snorkel and some duct tape.

Osprey
09-12-2007, 22:27
Yes that will work but what if you're in shape, relax and breath right, and have super efficent lung by working them out too. Why not do it all and be as good as you can get. Got to be rounded. Even if you're not in shape working out your lungs is easier then the whole body. Its a faster way.

There are yoga lung exercises designed to empower and purge your lungs of pollution no matter what your physical strength may already be. It's really amazing, and you can taste and feel the difference for sure.

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 13:38
Has anyone tried this and is it worth the money?

it sounds like it would work miracles for divers, but 90 bucks...

http://shop.navyseals.com/detail.aspx?ID=191&Name=PowerLung-Sport
I wonder if it will actually do anything for your diving. save the money and buy dive equipment from ST :)

gtjason2000
09-13-2007, 16:00
seems the coffee stirrer works just fine, don't know what it does though besides getting a really ripped diaphragm.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 08:38
I don't see how that will do much. The muscles of the diaphram aren't what lets you absorb more O2. That would be the alevoi in the lungs I believe. I don't see how more breathing effort would help the alevoi. Of course this is just my opinion.