PDA

View Full Version : How can I make stationary cardio machines interesting?

Trunk_Monkey
02-15-2010, 21:15
I can't hardly bring myself to spend time on stationary bikes, stair steppers, elipticals, etc. I get bored to tears and cannot wait till it's over.

I love road cycling, but sometimes (like for the past several weeks) the weather just won't cooperate.

What's a good way to pass the time while on the machine pedaling, stepping, climbing that will take your mind off the fact that you're exercising?

captain
02-15-2010, 21:22
I have to be outside putting miles under me.
Never could get into weights for the same reason, too dam boring.

FishFood
02-15-2010, 21:22
Indoor bike trainer hooked up to your computer. Virtually compete in the Tour de France, etc

http://www.atkinsbike.com/images/img_compu_trainer.gif

BUDMAN
02-15-2010, 21:54
I watch HULU on my computer

BRsnow
02-15-2010, 22:21
I recommend swimming...but also going to the gym with music does the job as well. Funny thing is I mountain bike 3 or so days week here in CO probably 8-9 months of the year...I cannot road bike for the same reason you don't like cardio machines...BR

Lulubelle
02-15-2010, 22:51
They are horrid, aren't they? I vastly prefer to do anything outdoors myself. I can't really be inside of a gym this time of year for health reasons, so I am set up at home with a recumbent bike, dumbbells, and a ball. I struggle with the boredom of such things myself. I don't find TV works very well, nor reading. I just plug into some good tunes, peppy stuff with a beat that won't slow the cycling down. I also set it for intervals so that I am not further bored by a steady pace. It is easier to make the rest of a workout interesting, because I can vary everything else. I feel your pain.

Although I love swimming, I hate chlorine.

Diver Kat
02-15-2010, 23:21
I have a recumbent bike, so similar to Lulu I like to plug in my I-touch, choose an upbeat selection of tunes and rock out while riding ...

snagel
02-16-2010, 04:53
If you figure it out let me know. I installed a TV in front of my treadmill. It's better than nothing and can get caught up on the news at the same time. My son, hooks into his Ipod when on the treadmill and it works for him. While lifting he has to have the stereo blasting for some reason (teenager).

Snagel

neugierig
02-16-2010, 05:16
as long as its in front of the tv, im good :)

brojack17
02-16-2010, 07:37
Dangle a piece of cake just out of reach.

No Misses
02-16-2010, 08:39
A friend of mine joined the local gym. He takes the bike in the back of the room. He finds the view VERY motivating. Plus the young women can't see that he is almost dying back there:smiley36:

scubarobin
02-16-2010, 12:22
as long as its in front of the tv, im good :)

yeah, we have a section of our garage set up as a gym.... treadmill, eliptical, Total gym. We have a TV set with cable right in front of them! We also have a stereo. I like to watch tv, I can get lost in a show and forget I am on the treadmill, Ron likes to jam to music at high volume. Luckily, we aren't using our "gym" at the same time!

wmcyow
02-16-2010, 13:00
While nothing will make indoors cardio great - one thing I find helps is a well thought out play list on my iPod. Choose the right songs/tempo for your workout and you will find it helps some!

Trunk_Monkey
02-16-2010, 17:39
I've been trying as a cold-weather alternative playing racquetball each week with my 18-year old son and his college buds. The problem is that it can't really take the place of cycling for 2 hours (2-3x a week) and I spend the next day or two nursing my joints through the pain.:smiley11:

Doug B
02-20-2010, 21:47
I can't wait to get back out on the roads on my bike. I did sneak in a ride a few weeks ago when it hit 40 degrees for a few hours.

Indoors, I have a tv-dvd player in front of me (and a fan blowing air on me). When I get bored, I start doing intervals:

1. 10 minutes at a good pace to loosen up
2. one minute very hard pace
3. five minutes back at normal pace to rest
4. two minutes very hard pace
5. 8 minutes at normal pace to rest
6. one minute very hard pace
7. five minutes normal pace to rest
8. two minutes very hard pace
9. normal pace to cool down...

try to keep your cadence up around 85 or 90 the whole time. jump about two gears higher when riding at the hard pace.

works for me...

ing
02-20-2010, 22:21
Music helps me move. I'm miserable without my Ipod!

Tassie Diver
02-20-2010, 23:21
When I'm at work (on a ship) I drag the exercise bike into my cabin and watch a DVD while riding. I've also read books while on an exercise bike.

I reckon an iPod with podcasts of things that interest me would work okay as well. This would be good for steppers etc.

DivingCRNA
02-21-2010, 07:19
iPhone. You can listen to tunes, facebook, check the forum and text your buds all at the same time.

Jack Hammer
02-21-2010, 09:13
I've found that for shorter times on the elliptical or treadmill that a personal music player will help the time go by. For anything longer than 20 minutes I like to watch high energy brainless movies. 70's kung fu movies work well, they have a story line where it doesn't matter if you miss something and the fight scenes are high energy to keep me motivated.

scubajane
02-21-2010, 11:09
Wow you guys have some great ideas. Me... just 1 stupid one.. use the cardioglide underwater.... well I guess that does not work. I have been using Wii fit plus. i am amazed at how much fun it is. it started me out at fat and slow old lady pace. I have been using it for a month and I see a huge difference in my balance and strength and my clothes are getting baggy. I Have never gotten bored on it and it grows with my ability. I often find myself doing more than I planned because i really like doing the games. they have bicycling, running obstacle courses balance games hula hoop. and tons more. it keeps track of my calories spent and my BMI so I can easily track my progress.

Trunk_Monkey
02-21-2010, 20:10
Wow you guys have some great ideas. Me... just 1 stupid one.. use the cardioglide underwater.... well I guess that does not work. I have been using Wii fit plus. i am amazed at how much fun it is. it started me out at fat and slow old lady pace. I have been using it for a month and I see a huge difference in my balance and strength and my clothes are getting baggy. I Have never gotten bored on it and it grows with my ability. I often find myself doing more than I planned because i really like doing the games. they have bicycling, running obstacle courses balance games hula hoop. and tons more. it keeps track of my calories spent and my BMI so I can easily track my progress.

I've been thinking about getting a Wii for that very purpose. Glad to hear it's been working for you.:smiley20:

bigman241
02-21-2010, 20:23
I was thinking a tall blond out of reach but cake works to

Trunk_Monkey
02-21-2010, 21:28
I was thinking a tall blond out of reach but cake works to

I'd like a $350,000 "economic stimulus" grant to determine which one works better. It might take awhile.:smiley2:

CompuDude
02-22-2010, 13:01

The Wii Fit Plus isn't bad, but when you're ready for a REAL workout, upgrade to the Wii EA Sports Active. It's like your very own personal trainer in a box, seriously! And you'll ache just as much the next day, too. Seriously good workouts, though. Blows the Wii Fit away in sophistication. The Wii Fit is a good way to get yourself up to a baseline, however.

scubajane
02-23-2010, 06:17

The Wii Fit Plus isn't bad, but when you're ready for a REAL workout, upgrade to the Wii EA Sports Active. It's like your very own personal trainer in a box, seriously! And you'll ache just as much the next day, too. Seriously good workouts, though. Blows the Wii Fit away in sophistication. The Wii Fit is a good way to get yourself up to a baseline, however.

thanks, nice to know where to go after Wii fit. I see that it has an ending point and wondered what to upgrade to. in the mean time I keep cycling around the island, not wearing a coat and not shoveling snow. :smiley20:

phil_218
02-27-2010, 20:55
I usually set up in front of the TV and watch my PADI videos. Last workout I spent an hour on the "Gazelle" while watching scuba videos on youtube.com

Trunk_Monkey
02-27-2010, 22:51
I usually set up in front of the TV and watch my PADI videos.

The OW instructional videos???

I always thought those may be a good cure for insomnia, but............:smiley11: