PDA

View Full Version : Which of these regs would you go for?

paulj13
09-04-2007, 07:45
Hi

Can anyone give me some good feedback on the following regs?

Zeagle Flathead XP Regulator (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FlatheadXP)

and the

Atomic B2 Regulator (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AtomicB2)

I know that there a bit in the diff on price but I'd like independent review on both.

It's an important purchase (life support) and would like to get it right.

Thanks in advance,

DevilDiver
09-04-2007, 07:58
Big fan of Zeagle product and i know alot of divers love their flatheads but I have to go for the Atomic if it's not about the price. It's close they are both good reg's.......

Aussie
09-04-2007, 08:14
I have two Flatheads VI which I have on my twin rig. I like am pleased with them and recommend them to anyone. I can not tell the difference between the the flathead and the DSV as they both have the same second stage (Zx). So if money is an issue I would go for the DSV.

Aussie

BSea
09-04-2007, 09:07
My vote is for the Atomic. I've been diving an Atomic Reg since the 2nd year they came out. I havn't found anything better. (Several that are in the same ballpark, but nothing better). I'm sure the Zeagle is a great reg, and you'll be happy with it if that's the way you decide to go.

Back to my review. It breaths dry even upside down. I've had other regs that are a little wet when you are upside down. I never had even a small problem with any of my Atomics (I've had 2). I currently have the B2. I love the swivel. If I have anything bad to say about atomics is the cost of accessories. They are top dollar. Also, if you get an environmentally sealed 1st stage, then the cost to have it serviced just went up about $20 because the chamber is filled with christolube. But since you only have it serviced once every 2 years, it isn't that big a deal.

All in all, I really love my Atomic.

Zenagirl
09-04-2007, 11:24
My husband was making this EXACT choice last spring. He finally decided to go with the Zeagle Flathead for a few reasons. One was that although the Atomic only needs service every 2 years, they don't provide free parts, so any savings you might realize are gone. He also felt that there wasn't any difference in the performance of both brands, and that there was no reason to spend at least twice as much on the Atomics. Then it came down to customer service and support, and ScubaToys and Zeagle won it hands down.

We've had amazing service and support from Scott (Zeagle) through e-mail and it was such fun to get together with him in person and "talk gear". When my husband's regs arrived from ScubaToys, he realized they had the new covers and wanted the old ones (like mine). A quick e-mail to Scott and he found and put a pair in the mail for us. Then we took his new regs diving on a 2-week trip and 47 dives later he knew he had made the right choice.

Ultimately, whatever you decide you're looking at 2 outstanding regulators and can't go wrong whatever you choose. :D

paulj13
09-04-2007, 18:17
Thanks folks that great info.

It raises an interesting point about support/servicing. Either reg, I'll most likely get from ST however where can I get either serviced in QLD, OZ? I obviously want to go to someone who know what they are doing and also want to ensure that I benefit from whatever free cover either company offer on the regs. Is that possible in Australia?

Kind regards

wxboy911
09-04-2007, 18:19
Zeagle-no experience with the Atomic and they are a bit pricey for my taste.

BSea
09-04-2007, 18:19

It raises an interesting point about support/servicing. Either reg, I'll most likely get from ST however where can I get either serviced in QLD, OZ? I obviously want to go to someone who know what they are doing and also want to ensure that I benefit from whatever free cover either company offer on the regs. Is that possible in Australia?

Kind regards
I think that's a question for ST since they are dealers.

rubberduck
09-04-2007, 18:27
I vote for the Atomics. I have one and love it.

CrzyJay456
09-04-2007, 18:32
Zeagle for the fact that they have a large following, and great customer service.

jpatmore
09-04-2007, 20:00
I have the Flathead XP, and its an awesome reg ... it would get my vote every time. It's a pretty good price too.

paintsnow
09-04-2007, 22:10
zeagle is great all around, products customer service, everything
i dont think ill ever buy a reg that isnt from zeagle unless its my ccr, which is totally different obviously.
and even then i would have a zeagle on my bailout

RonFrank
09-05-2007, 00:34
I'd go for the Zeagle. I love their service, they are easy to get serviced, and the FlatHead is less expensive. Keep in mind ST's matches LP pricing.

As for if one breaths better, well most regs out these days, even lower end regs, breath so well you need a machine to measurel the difference. Some may breath a bit wetter, and some may not breath as well upside down, but the two you are discussing are both so good, well, back to the machine comment! :smiley20:

Scoobidoo
09-05-2007, 06:37
My vote goes to Zeagle! It breaths as good as the very top end (price-wise) regs, but costs a lot less. It's an easy choice.

I'd probably go with the Flathead VI, I like it sealed.

ScubaToys Larry
09-05-2007, 07:55

Kind regards

We have a network of stores in Australia that will handle any service or warranty work for us. Of course, you can always ship gear to us, and if we can't get warranty work completed for you there, we will pay the shipping both ways, so it's really not an issue at all. This would go for either type of reg.

SHAGGY
09-05-2007, 13:26
I love my Atomic ST-1, it dont matter what depth im at, its just as easy breathing at 100ft as if I was at 10ft, and the swivel is great as well.

somewhereinla
09-05-2007, 16:51
Every time you have a magazine testing regs, Atomic, Apeks, and Aqualung are always in the top 3. I have yet to see a Zeagle reg. on top. It doesn't mean that zeagle are not great, but if your choice is between the number one and an other reg that didn't make the top 3 cut, which one should you choose?

paintsnow
09-05-2007, 17:25
Every time you have a magazine testing regs, Atomic, Apeks, and Aqualung are always in the top 3. I have yet to see a Zeagle reg. on top. It doesn't mean that zeagle are not great, but if your choice is between the number one and an other reg that didn't make the top 3 cut, which one should you choose?

thats because zeagle isnt tested as often
also a lot of dive mags are sponsered by the companies, so.... they can be biased

im not saying all of them are, but for example consumer reports rated the nissan titan as the worst truck on the market, while it is more realiable, and is better in just about every aspect over the fords and chevys, including acceleration and innovations, what did chevy do after nissan made the rear kingcab door swing out 178 degrees? they made theirs swing out 179...

sorry about the truck rant, ill get off the soapbox now
:anim_soapbox:

Charlotte Smith
09-05-2007, 17:50
We love Zeagle but there are alot of good ones out there...

cummings66
09-05-2007, 19:27
Actually Zeagle has been on top in the testing, check the Envoy for example.

paulj13
09-06-2007, 00:26

Zeagle got tested here http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/best_new_regs_2006

danielh03
09-06-2007, 01:27

Zeagle got tested here http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/best_new_regs_2006

How many of us would give our right arms to be a scuba gear tester?

paulj13
09-06-2007, 02:15
ya I know, best job ever!

"Hay Paul, we need you to test that new $7,000 reg" " OK, if I have to!"

meesier42
09-11-2007, 12:24
Zeagle for me, I have been diving Zeagle DS-V for years and I love it. The Flathead XP is a fantastic regulator, although I prefer the environmental sealing. the XP is a great regulator for warm waters and you will love it

FyVe
09-11-2007, 15:10
zeagle makes great products but i know atomic is pretty standard for classes and stuff (not that expensive one, but the brand in general is pretty standard) so ima go with... i don't know enough of either to say but i'd lean towards the zeagle according to the priors above me.

BSea
09-11-2007, 16:04
zeagle makes great products but i know atomic is pretty standard for classes and stuff (not that expensive one, but the brand in general is pretty standard) so ima go with... i don't know enough of either to say but i'd lean towards the zeagle according to the priors above me.I don't mean to question you, but I've never seen Atomics used as rental gear. That's not to say they don't use them somewhere, just not something I've ever seen. And even their bottom line reg (the Z2)is pretty pricey.

Silverlode
10-17-2007, 02:19
Hijacking this thread since I'm looking at the Zeagle as well as the apeks 50 (whichever one), but it looks like the Zeagle might be winning out based on price. Welcoming comments on Apeks 50 (XTX or ATX??) compared to the Zeagle. See below for foreseeable (2 years?) diving experiences.
Then I was wondering about warranty and servicing in Australia, and Larry more or less answered that as well... I'm in Melbourne, Larry! Any of your contacts here?

Now I am wondering what the differences are between the Zeagle
Envoy Deluxe and the Zeagle DSV and which to go for. I was leaning towards the DSV. Also wondering if I should wait even longer (getting my BCD first - Dive Rite Transpac) and save up for the Zeagle Flathead VI.
Will be doing recreational diving for the foreseeable future (ie next few years). Water temp from 8-9C to 22C in Victoria (and 29C if I dive in Asia).
Depth to 40m (130ft?) max unless I go into tech diving.

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 13:40
Hi

Can anyone give me some good feedback on the following regs?

Zeagle Flathead XP Regulator (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FlatheadXP)

and the

Atomic B2 Regulator (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AtomicB2)

I know that there a bit in the diff on price but I'd like independent review on both.

It's an important purchase (life support) and would like to get it right.

Thanks in advance,
Tough decision. Heard good things about both.

abcitydiver
04-21-2008, 01:27
so ok, as a two atomic reg household:
A: both our B2's were purchased WELL under 500$..so make some phone calls. Atomic regulates the "advertized price" for their regs...that doesnt mean shops wont under cut that price.
Both regs have operated flawlessly. Breath easy and dry in all positions. The swivels, both at 1st stage and second add a tremendous amount of flexibility in range of motion. 2 year/300 dive intervals..woo hoo.
These regs feel practically weightless in the mouth, no jaw fatigue and come with GREAT mouthpieces.
Atomics rep combined with outstanding customer service, combined with test results, combined with customer loyalty and a fantastically performing/reliable product, for me is a no brainer.
Why to more people own the others...because they are cheaper, for the most part.
DONT FORGE TO BARGAIN: we picked up our 2nd B2 this spring for $480..swivels and all, and that was the walk in off the street price..where they didnt even know us.
Good luck!

nashwl
04-21-2008, 13:05
I love my Atomics. I used several companies before I settled on Atomic. They really are the top of the line.

Ive never seen a test the Atomics didnt get a top score on.

UltimateAg
04-21-2008, 21:45
I love the Zeagle BC's but for regs you can't beat Atomics. My vote is for the atomics.

Marcus
04-21-2008, 22:32
Like Zeagle, but would love to try an Atomic. Haven't had the opportunity yet.

Trey9123
04-21-2008, 22:36
I'm a big fan of anything Zeagle, but you will have an excellent reg either way.

xlmbat
05-01-2012, 11:23
I own 2 Atomics B1's. Just serviced both B1's for thier 1st annual service after 12 years/600 dives. The IP was at 170psi because the HP seat was worn 25% threw. No corrosion at all inside the chambers. The HP seat is replaced with the service kit. Each 1st stage was serviced for $30 parts/ $30 labor/ $30 Christo Lube for the enviro. kits. The second stages are still going strong.
I just pick'd up an Atomic St-1 for spite since it'll probly be my last reg. purchase ever. I was also considering the ScubaPro MK17/A700

Zu1uKi1o
05-01-2012, 22:27
I can't say I have ever used Zeagle's regulators. However I know several people with B2's and they all absolutely love them. Plus 2 year service intervals speaks for their quality and durability for sure.

CWSWine
05-02-2012, 06:59
Zeagle are really nice regs and it won the 2011 Tester Choice in the Scuba Labs regulator shoot out.

Gear / Regulators | Scuba Diving Magazine (http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/2011-reg-tests-zeagle-onyx)

Zeagle Eagle
05-02-2012, 07:22
Do the Atomic regs have the same size for a custom mouthpiece (seacure) as the ScubaPro's do? In other words can I use my Scubapro Seacure mouthpiece on an B2 or a Zeagle for that matter?