PDA

View Full Version : What to do???

skdvr
09-04-2007, 07:53
There is a local quarry around here that is mainly used by swimmers, there are cliffs surrounding the quarry and lots of people out there drinking and jumping off of cliffs. Well this past weekend they had two unfortunate tragedies. One of Sat and one on Sun when someone jumped off of a cliff and never came back up. This quarry is not a big hot spot for divers but they are there every once in a while. I have only been there once. Obviously if people saw a diver there they would ask for help, and if it was me there is no way that I could not help out. I however am not trained in rescue (I am planning on taking the course next summer). I do know CPR and some first aid. What my question is what would be the best way to help out??? Lets say I dive down and find this guy and bring him up, what would be the best way to swim him to shore. Now at this place it is rather unique because of the cliffs all around. He was jumping off of a cliff so there is not a bank to pull them up onto. Even where the divers go in at is a very steep set of steps that go down into the water. Now I know that there woudl be a lot of people around in this case to help get them out of the water, but it would not be like bringing a diver up that I could inflate their BC.

Just looking for some insite on what would be best to do. Hopefully I will never be in that situation but I would like to have a little bit of knowledge if I am...

Thanks
Phil

greyzen
09-04-2007, 08:43
Search and recovery is recreational... unless you plan on going to the pro's and getting trained/etc. on human search and recovery.
If you like not being sued, I'd be careful about bringing up dead people without the police/etc. employeeing you. it might sound far-fetched but people have/can sue for less

skdvr
09-04-2007, 08:58
I am not talking about looking for someone that has been missing, or diving in a lake and coming across a dead body beacuse that would be a crime scene and yes you should nto touch the body. I am talking about sitting on th esurface during a surface interval and someone 50ft away from you jumps into the water and does not cpme back up. There is no way that I could just sit there with my scuba gear next to me and not go down and help get to the person. I was not talking about the search and recovery class because that is about finding things like an outboard motor that someone droped in the lake. I was talking about taking the Rescue diver and Emergency First Responder course which is a rec. course that teaches you how to be a first responder it situations like that.

I also know that I could be sued. You can be sued for anything, but being properly trained in CPR I should not have to worry about that. I know that there are people out there that would sue for trying to help but I would be willing to take that chance. I would not let th ethreat of sueing me make me sit on shore and watch and people frantically try to free dive down to find this person.

Phil

greyzen
09-04-2007, 09:05
I am not talking about looking for someone that has been missing, or diving in a lake and coming across a dead body beacuse that would be a crime scene and yes you should nto touch the body. I am talking about sitting on th esurface during a surface interval and someone 50ft away from you jumps into the water and does not cpme back up. There is no way that I could just sit there with my scuba gear next to me and not go down and help get to the person. I was not talking about the search and recovery class because that is about finding things like an outboard motor that someone droped in the lake. I was talking about taking the Rescue diver and Emergency First Responder course which is a rec. course that teaches you how to be a first responder it situations like that.

I also know that I could be sued. You can be sued for anything, but being properly trained in CPR I should not have to worry about that. I know that there are people out there that would sue for trying to help but I would be willing to take that chance. I would not let th ethreat of sueing me make me sit on shore and watch and people frantically try to free dive down to find this person.

Phil

If you are looking for personal opinions, that is what you're gonna find :)

Personally, from my perspective, even with a rescue diver card and scuba gear sitting around. Unless you physically see the diver go down and not come back up and there is a chance of saving someone's life... I wouldn't risk trying to be helpful and actually getting in the way.

Now, if you happen to be sitting around and see the guy jump in and not come up... if you feel you could get your gear on and save his life... that's your call.

But if you happen to show up and there are people sitting around talking about a guy who has been down for several minutes (say 15~) and they are wanting you to get involved... I would suggest against it... there is little you could do without causing problems.

ReefHound
09-04-2007, 09:19
I'll disagree, with a caveat. Good samaraitan laws will protect you as long as you act reasonably and stay within your training, i.e. don't attempt an in-field tracheotomy. But the first rule of rescue is to not become a victim so just jumping in solo and doing a lost person search may not be wise.

I would advise you to take a Rescue course to be better prepared. No course can teach you what to do in every situation, there are just too many possible variables, but it will teach you a framework from which you will always have to improvise. Bottom line is whatever it takes, in that case it may take lifting him up with ropes and harness but that's for professionals. If it was me and there was no reasonably safe exit, I'd stay in the water and perform in-water rescue breathing (assuming victim is not breathing) until professional help arrived. The very first thing done was to call 911, right?

Osprey
09-04-2007, 09:33
I'm sure a chat with an instructor could shed some light as well. Talk about the situation with him and see what he thinks, he probably has some experience or stories to share

skdvr
09-04-2007, 10:48
As far as lifting him out of the water you would not need to do that there is a dock down there but it would be a pretty good swim depending on what cliffs they were jumping from. They did call 911 and I am sure that it was probably right away but I do not know since I was not there. The sad thing is that it happened on Sat and then the same thing happened again on Sun. Pretty sad.

Phil

ScaredSilly
09-04-2007, 15:34
I would do as ReefHound has put down. That said given that I am a DM I know a little about rescue diving so unless I just go out of the water or I felt comfortable with the situation I would at least try something. However, there are two rules:

1. Do not become a victim
2. See rule 1.

skdvr
09-04-2007, 16:26
I would do as ReefHound has put down. That said given that I am a DM I know a little about rescue diving so unless I just go out of the water or I felt comfortable with the situation I would at least try something. However, there are two rules:

1. Do not become a victim
2. See rule 1.

I agree with BOTH rules. In this particular instance it happens to be in a quarry that I am some what familiar with so I would feel safe going in after someone. And yes if you are at your limits then obviously you cannot go back in and risk your own safety. I would have also been there with a buddy and would not attempt without one.

The whole thing just got me thinking when I saw it on the news since I knew it was a place that I like to go to...

Thanks again from everyone for the input...

Phil