PDA

View Full Version : How does a spearfisherman ensure legal size of fish?

sfbluestar
02-18-2010, 21:13
How does a spearfisherman ensure a lingcod for example is of legal length?

DevilDiver
02-18-2010, 21:23
He asks Poseidon because he is the ruler of the sea?!?! :smiley29:

Beefcake
02-18-2010, 21:34
He asks Poseidon because he is the ruler of the sea?!?! :smiley29:
:smiley32: Good Answer!

I marked my polespear with tape at the legal length. Other comparisons can be made if you can't get him to hold still for a measurement. For instance, how long is your speargun? My pneumatic gun is 2' long (not counting the spear shaft; if he isn't obviously bigger than the gun, I won't shoot. Remember, things look bigger underwater. A legal ling looks HUGE underwater; if it just looks "big", be careful.

The only other fish that are legal to spear in Oregon that have minimum sizes are greenling and cabezon; I have just gotten a feel for how big they look underwater compared to how big they are when I get out. With both of these fish, it isn't worth shooting undersized fish anyway (not enough meat on a small cabezon to be worth the effort; they're all head). So, once again, I only shoot if they look huge.

By the way, we mostly hunt black or blue rockfish (which have no minimum size); takes the whole measurement thing out of the equation.

mrmccoy
02-19-2010, 06:23
Same way a deer hunter decides a bucks rack is big enough to be legal.
I would think it comes with time behind a speargun if it is close to legal let it swim if it is bigger shoot it.

No Misses
02-19-2010, 09:37
As was stated earlier, everything looks bigger underwater. If it looks big enough, it is TOO SMALL. If it looks like a monster, it should be of legal size.

I find that if I have been out of the water for a while (weeks), I will need to recalibrate my underwater vision. Because everything looks big.

Another thing that throws off my size estimates is visibility. I am used to 30 - 40' vis. Fish that are on the edge of visibility are also 30' - 40' away. When I hunt in poor vis, fish that are at the edge of visibility may only be 5' - 10' away.

Just remember, It takes a lot of tomato to make ceviche with a small fish.

petronius
02-19-2010, 23:57
I have a range of lengths marked onto my gun, and I hold it out and look at them pretty closely at the beginning of each hunt to calibrate my eye. However, I usually don't shoot unless the fish makes me think "Wow, that's big!"

bigman241
02-22-2010, 12:25
:smiley5::smiley5::smiley5::smiley5::smiley5::smil ey5:As far as I know no state has a limit for antler size. I think most are buck or anterless and that's it. Now if your a rack hunter and your doing QDMA you guess at it. Now if you doing a outfitter hunt on a ranch which says the buck must be 150 or better or your pay a 1000 fine you just make DAM sure he is 150plus. FOr me I can not eat antlers so if it is big enough I will shoot it antlers or not
I would think it comes with time behind a speargun if it is close to legal let it swim if it is bigger shoot it.

Panmanmatt
02-22-2010, 12:30
:smiley5::smiley5::smiley5::smiley5::smiley5::smil ey5:As far as I know no state has a limit for antler size. I think most are buck or anterless and that's it. Now if your a rack hunter and your doing QDMA you guess at it. Now if you doing a outfitter hunt on a ranch which says the buck must be 150 or better or your pay a 1000 fine you just make DAM sure he is 150plus. FOr me I can not eat antlers so if it is big enough I will shoot it antlers or not

I don't know about other states, but NJ has a 3 inch minimum for antler size which means no button bucks or spikes with antlers less than 3 inches. So you best be sure that doe is a doe before you pull the trigger.

mrmccoy
02-22-2010, 16:48
Mississippi has a min rack size....I want to say 12in spread and or 14in main. I'm probly wrong about the numbers but there is size min.

cmburch
02-25-2010, 15:26
Spearfishing Groundfish in California.
Lingcod 24"
Cabezon 15"

California Department of Fish & Game, Marine Region (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/fishing.asp)

Probably best to start spearing Rockfish and get used to sizes. Be sure of size for Lingcod and Cabezon. Check for dates when Lingcod and Cabezon are mating or guarding eggs. Do not take during these times. Suggest not spearing any Lingcod or Cabezon until late April. Take note of where the Lingcod holes are in early season though for later reference.

CA DFG sometimes gives out a free measuring tape that attaches to your cooler or boat to ensure the size of the fish.

Best advice in previous posts for determining size of fish underwater before spearing.

If you make a novice mistake - do not bring the fish above the water line. CA DFG has spotting scopes. That is the reason some may have 15", 22" and 2' markings on their guns or spears - to check for legal size underwater before landing fish. Many Spearos think it is wrong to mark guns. Who knows. It may live. I have seen badly damaged fish swimming around. Nothing goes to waste in the ocean. Something will eat it.

mulefeathers
02-26-2010, 10:46
Mississippi has a min rack size....I want to say 12in spread and or 14in main. I'm probly wrong about the numbers but there is size min.

Zone 1 and 2 10" inside spread or a 13" main beam
Zone 3 12" inside or a 15" main beam

But yes we have a minimum size

Xyzpdq0121
06-10-2010, 09:43
Shoot when you are sure and be on the safe side until you get some experience judging size at distance under water. Things look bigger or distorted slightly under water. So just be careful. It is much better to be safe than sorry!!!