PDA

View Full Version : It's coming.......

Lake Michijim
02-19-2010, 14:54
I am most fortunate as I live on the shore of Lake Michigan. Yesterday and today I got to see the sunrise on a clear horizon. That means that the air over the lake was warm enough that it didn't draw water vapor up in the form of low clouds. English translation, spring is coming!!!!:smiley20: It will be a while yet, but I'll bet I'll be launching my boat before April 1st. I usually do. And that means open water diving is only a month distant, maybe less! I got out to the local wreck with a couple buddies on March 12th a couple years back. Can't wait!

Jim

navyhmc
02-19-2010, 17:54
But, that can't be! That silly deciduous eating rodent saw his shadow...:smilie39:

I'm sorry, you'll have to come back in 3 weeks. :smiley36:

That aside, when does the diving start?

bigman241
02-19-2010, 18:10
hey you ever heard of heading south. I could not imagine diving in the temps and conditions you great lake guys do

Lake Michijim
02-19-2010, 20:39
hey you ever heard of heading south. I could not imagine diving in the temps and conditions you great lake guys do

Your in Indiana. You are south. LOL. I usually wait until the ice is off the lake and the air temps are in the mid 40's. By then, I can run my farm tractor down to the beach and back the boat into the lake. Then I can awaken the 90 HP Johnson and let it warm up from it's winter nap. Once that's done it's a five minute run to a side wheel steamer that burn't and sank in 1856 in 50 feet of water. The real dive season begins!!!!:smiley32:

Lake Michijim
02-19-2010, 20:43
Here's the steamer I head for. Niagara Dive 5/31/08 on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/1408033). A fun little video I did a few squares back.

navyhmc
02-19-2010, 20:54

Your in Indiana. You are south. LOL. I usually wait until the ice is off the lake and the air temps are in the mid 40's. By then, I can run my farm tractor down to the beach and back the boat into the lake. Then I can awaken the 90 HP Johnson and let it warm up from it's winter nap. Once that's done it's a five minute run to a side wheel steamer that burn't and sank in 1856 in 50 feet of water. The real dive season begins!!!!:smiley32:

Lucky guy!! Can I come play? :smiley20: :smiley36:

Trunk_Monkey
02-19-2010, 21:24
That was an interesting video.:smiley20:

I wouldn't have expected that you'd have that much visibility.

Lake Michijim
02-20-2010, 06:02

Lucky guy!! Can I come play? :smiley20: :smiley36:

Sure!

Lake Michijim
02-20-2010, 06:12
The S.S. Niagara being in 50 feet of water typically has 20 - 40 foot viz. A little better July - September. I've been on the wreck with over 80 foot although that is somewhat rare. The deeper wrecks like the Northerner for instance, which is a fairly intact wooden schooner down about 130 see much better viz. I've seen 200+ there and 100+ is fairly common. I was on the bottom last year a good 100 feet away off the ships port side and I could see the whole length of the ship and the bottom around her. The Northerner is 81 feet long. You can see her in video's on my Vimeo site. I might suggest "Labor Day with the Deep Six". That was taken when I first got my Sony and Top Dawg housing. good stuff.

navyhmc
02-20-2010, 11:43
Nive little vid. Looked like a lot of zebra on though.

skdvr
02-20-2010, 13:49
The zebras are all over up there but that is fine with me. Makes the viz nice.

I did not make it up there last year at all, hopefully I can change that this summer.

Damn I want to get up there... Starting to go crazy.....:smiley29:

Phil

Lake Michijim
02-20-2010, 20:13
The zebras coat everything. In the bay of Green Bay you've got the Quaga mussels and they are bigger. The good news is that even in the bay of Green Bay there is 40 foot foot viz. I would love to go back to the days where there were no mussels. The viz would be ten feet or less and to me it would be worth it. But theres no going back and theres nothing I can do beside record what I see with the video camera. The zebras and the Quagas have helped with that. Everyone who can enjoy these wrecks should get to them while they can. Right now there are a lot of 150 - 200 year old wrecks that can still be investigated in their full splendor, but won't be there for too many years. They are going away, no matter what we do, so see them NOW!!!!!!!!

emclean
02-22-2010, 08:26
anything good over by Sheboygan?

inventor
02-22-2010, 12:26
The zebras coat everything. In the bay of Green Bay you've got the Quaga mussels and they are bigger. The good news is that even in the bay of Green Bay there is 40 foot foot viz. I would love to go back to the days where there were no mussels. The viz would be ten feet or less and to me it would be worth it. But theres no going back and theres nothing I can do beside record what I see with the video camera. The zebras and the Quagas have helped with that. Everyone who can enjoy these wrecks should get to them while they can. Right now there are a lot of 150 - 200 year old wrecks that can still be investigated in their full splendor, but won't be there for too many years. They are going away, no matter what we do, so see them NOW!!!!!!!!

Yeah, we got Al-Quagga out here too. Would love to see the wrecks. Can you post or link to the videos?:smiley20:

Lake Michijim
02-22-2010, 17:12
anything good over by Sheboygan?

Sheboygan has the Hetty Taylor. I don't have anything but stills on that one though. It also has my personal favorite. The Walter B. Allen. Here's my video on the WB. Scuba Diving Videos The Walter B Allen A quick tour Scuba Videos (http://www.scubadivingtube.com/play.php?vid=787)
On the starboard side of the wreck there is the top of the Pilot house and 3/4 of a yawl that went down with the ship. That's on my list of things to video.

Jim

in_cavediver
02-22-2010, 19:47
Man - I want to go diving.........
I am officially really really jealous mitchijim

navyhmc
02-22-2010, 22:20
Ditto! two weeks until Table Rock!