PDA

View Full Version : Makeshift Booties

|Scuba_Doo|
09-04-2007, 10:28
Being new to the sport, the amount of gear I had to buy was simply overwhelming :smiley5: So while attempting to cut down on expenses, I decided to use my old Adidas WaterMocs instead of buying a new pair of boots for my first open water dive. Guess I was the weirdest looking chap at the dive lodge that weekend but the WaterMoc actually worked out pretty well :smiley36: The numerous drainage ports at the sole of my WaterMocs did a great job of letting water out the minute I climbed onto the boat whereas my buddies had to pull off their booties to pour out the water. Thought this piece of information may come in handy for those who have footwear similar to my WaterMoc lying around at home :smiley2:

Oh by the way, I trimmed off the 3 straps for a better fit and yes... my WaterMoc is the one in red/black (Darth Maul color scheme :smilie39:)

http://www.sneakercollection.pe.kr/board/icon/member_image_box/1/watermoc_jp_01.jpg
http://www.sneakercollection.pe.kr/board/icon/member_image_box/1/watermoc_jp_02.jpg

NitroWill
09-04-2007, 10:47
I don't see any problems with that - as long as it's comfortable!

Beleive it or not, Ive seen people wear full tennis shoes before when they forgot their booties...

Ive also seen people wear Crocs as their booties..

|Scuba_Doo|
09-04-2007, 10:59
Thats a relief to know :smiley36: But seriously... I got teased during the dive and I'm still being teased about it whenever my friends look at my photos. Wished the Mocs were black... then no one would have noticed.

loudgonzo
09-05-2007, 08:07
I don't see any problems with that - as long as it's comfortable!

Beleive it or not, Ive seen people wear full tennis shoes before when they forgot their booties...

hmmm......ideas and temptations...now I have to try the crocs as booties just because of this post:smiley36:

Capt Hook
09-05-2007, 08:24
I've worn my old Converse All Stars before, if they laugh, laugh with them.

Charlotte Smith
09-05-2007, 08:30
I've worn my old Converse All Stars before, if they laugh, laugh with them.
That is exactly what I say....whatever makes you happy and gets you through the day...do it.....who really cares what anyone says...

Foo2
09-05-2007, 12:15
I'm glad that you posted a pic of those shoes....I had no idea what they were! They look like cool shoes...I don't see why they wouldn't work. Way to be creative!

|Scuba_Doo|
09-06-2007, 00:36
I'm really glad I found this place. Lots of nice and helpful people like yourselves :smiley20:

divechaplain-sara
09-06-2007, 04:09
I almost had to abort a day of diving because of no booties one day, but found a pair to rent. No reason to buy something new when you've already got something that will do the job. By something else new with that money instead.

deepdiver47
09-06-2007, 07:06

Fess up NitroWill that was you with the hot pink crocs in the Keys!
Be honest or I will post a pic. And yes, I was the guy pretending to be snorkeling near you only to have my camera ready and waiting. :smiley2:

|Scuba_Doo|
09-06-2007, 10:26
You people are really awesome :smiley36: If anyone of you ever transits at Singapore on your way to some Asian dive sites, do contact me and I'll gladly show you around my beautiful little island.

Bigg_Budd
09-06-2007, 10:38
Crocs rule. I own 4 pair.

NitroWill
09-06-2007, 10:40

Fess up NitroWill that was you with the hot pink crocs in the Keys!
Be honest or I will post a pic. And yes, I was the guy pretending to be snorkeling near you only to have my camera ready and waiting. :smiley2:

oh damn, i am caught! post the pic anyways :smiley29:

ScubaToys Larry
09-13-2007, 18:32
The only thing to watch with those types of shoes, is depending on how your fins fit, the shoes don't come up far enough on the front of your foot, and if the fin hits there, you'll get one heck of a blister! I've improvised before, had a rubbing fin problem, so just wore socks with them.

Now that was a good look for me!

|Scuba_Doo|
09-14-2007, 04:20
Thanks for sharing Larry. Yeah blisters can be a real pain in the butt :smiley5: