PDA

View Full Version : When you are fishing with buddies...how do you get them to STAY WITH YOU in low vis?

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 10:42
I can't stress enough how your buddy needs to stay with you in low vis water when there are spearguns involved! I have the hardest time keeping one of my friends from just going fishing on their own once we have located the fish....how do you get it in their head that you can't shoot if you don't know where your buddy is????

greyzen
09-04-2007, 11:12
have you explained how painful and expensive mistaken them for the target can be?

I would seriously invest some "Hey, come sit down...we need to talk" time when you aren't gearing up to take the plunge.

Explain how emotional it will be for you to have to cut your spear out of their body while they kick and try for the surface, I mean you're hunt isn't over... theirs probably is though.

Illustrate how bad you will feel if all the blood they are spilling due to their inability to keep from running away will cause predators come around and how you've not prepared for those.

Kingpatzer
09-04-2007, 12:10
My basic rule if I have someone who is a buddy who refuses to behave in a safe and responsible manner, is that I'll express my concerns and expectations on the surface and give them one more chance (unless the behavior was exceptionally egregious). If they screw up a second time in the same fashion, I don't go down with them anymore.

Luckily, I've really never had to test my resolve around this. The one time I had a really bad buddy on a dive, he came up and started apologizing for not having his head on straight for the dive. It's hard to fault someone to badly who knows they screwed up.

Charlotte Smith
09-05-2007, 17:56
have you explained how painful and expensive mistaken them for the target can be?

I would seriously invest some "Hey, come sit down...we need to talk" time when you aren't gearing up to take the plunge.

Explain how emotional it will be for you to have to cut your spear out of their body while they kick and try for the surface, I mean you're hunt isn't over... theirs probably is though.

Illustrate how bad you will feel if all the blood they are spilling due to their inability to keep from running away will cause predators come around and how you've not prepared for those.
I think those were close to the same words I used but I am not sure I got my point across so I am looking for some speargun accident pics to show them......maybe that will work or they won't be diving with me anymore..

Osprey
09-06-2007, 09:20
Punch them in the face?

Seriously though, if they are too cocky/stupid to understand the dangers of getting jabbed with a speargun, that worries me. Because if you can't see him, he can't see YOU, and you're as likely to get stabbed as anyone. Totally unacceptable.

Charlotte Smith
09-06-2007, 09:29
I have thought about all of the scenarios and even though I have had the speargun go through my hand in an accident while loading it (Must have cut nerves because it didn't really hurt until it started trying to heal), I don't want to be shot...I can only imagine a leg, arm, or my torso getting shot.....anyway as soon as he leaves me despite my trying to keep up with him in tree-tops etc........I just go to the boat and wait.....The first time I didn't say a whole lot...this time I was furious!

greyzen
09-06-2007, 09:39
If you are looking for a more pressing method of delivery you can just refuse to dive with him citing the reasons are fear.

Also as a joke (keep in mind, the underlying truth might seep through) buy one of those retractable dog leashes/kiddie harnesses and threaten to use it on him.

Sometimes looking at the harness and getting a serious tone and saying "Am I going to have to use this? Or are you a big enough boy to police yourself?" will seep through and teach them some manners.

Charlotte Smith
09-06-2007, 09:46
If you are looking for a more pressing method of delivery you can just refuse to dive with him citing the reasons are fear.

Also as a joke (keep in mind, the underlying truth might seep through) buy one of those retractable dog leashes/kiddie harnesses and threaten to use it on him.

Sometimes looking at the harness and getting a serious tone and saying "Am I going to have to use this? Or are you a big enough boy to police yourself?" will seep through and teach them some manners.

Great idea! I bet that would work..he is a manly man(he thinks) and he would HATE to be put on a leash...BTW..this is not my husband, he doesn't like the deeper colder water in the lake so he stay about 20-30 feet shallower and waits with a stringer .....

BobbyWombat
09-07-2007, 11:47
Here is my suggestion:

Before entering the water, announce that you have a sudden and unstoppable desire to play "speargun roulette". Explain that you are going to have your buddy (and others) stand in a circle around you. You are going to be blindfolded, spin around a few times, and then shoot your speargun in a random direction.

When your buddy protests that this is a stupid and dangerous idea, you then can explain that this is not different that the situation he/she is putting you in underwater.

just a thought....:smiley2:

No Misses
09-07-2007, 13:18
Show him your hand and explain that you have no qualms about shooting somebody who gets in your way. Ask him, "Do you want to be next?"
Sorry, I had to go there:smilie39:

Seriously, I realise that I am a terrible buddy. When hunting, I will often swim off in whichever direction that I think will pay off. Maybe you have a little bit of that too? When you hit the water, do you discuss who will lead and who will follow? Maybe your buddy thinks that he is the leader. In that case it would be your fault for not keeping an eye on him. Just a thought.:smiley13:

Osprey
09-07-2007, 13:38
...BTW..this is not my husband

Thank God for that!

The leash is a good idea.. if he can't stick close, then we'll help! Haha!