PDA

View Full Version : New Australian diver

BB1
02-22-2010, 19:23
Hi,

I first tried diving many years ago in St Lucia but had a miserable time on the "experience scuba" trip.

Recently tried it again and had a much better time - brother in law is a very good instructor - and went to Vanuatu in the South Pacific to complete my open water cert dives.

Enjoyed diving at Hideaway Island so much that we studied all week on holiday to be able to do our advanced PADI cert on the same trip - Awesome!!

Now back home in Australia and investigating the local diving scene while trying to work out what gear to buy. Got very PO'd with Australian LDS pricing as it appears to be between 100 to 200% of USA retail pricing http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/Standard Smiles/11.gif

Will be shopping at Scubatoys once I decide what I want!

Now looking forward to asking some really dorky "new diver" questions and hopefully wont get to roasted in the replies.

Smashee
02-22-2010, 19:32
Now looking forward to asking some really dorky "new diver" questions and hopefully wont get to roasted in the replies.

Hey BB! Nice to see another Brisbane diver. :smiley20:

Plenty of action happening round here with a good few active dive clubs in the area such as BSAC, VMR & UniDive. Fire away if you've got any questions!

PlatypusMan
02-22-2010, 19:48
Welcome! I just returned from a fun-filled and eventful trip to Western Australia, and can hardly wait to go back to OZ.

You live in a very dive-friendly part of the world.

PPM

BB1
02-22-2010, 23:27
Thanks Guys, Just drafting a bunch of questions ready for posting tonight (hopefully) about various pieces of equipment.

I have a plan coming together in my head with what I think I want/need, just going to ask for advice and opinions from the more experienced community on the forum.

Its a real shame that Australia is such as small market and it seems to be very hard to find gear to borrow/try out.

Smashee (love the tagline BTW) any links to websites for dive clubs I could join? Not sure I'm eligible for Uni - bit older now!

Smashee
02-23-2010, 00:02
Its a real shame that Australia is such as small market and it seems to be very hard to find gear to borrow/try out.

Smashee (love the tagline BTW) any links to websites for dive clubs I could join? Not sure I'm eligible for Uni - bit older now!

Yeah, it can be a huge pain trying to sort out stuff to try, especially if (like me), you're not a standard size.

As for clubs, Brisbane BSAC (As the current chairman, I'm going to be biased here!) offers regular diver training and a pretty full program of dive trips ranging from social shore-dives to deeper, more adventurous dives in the 50m+ range. We've got a pretty balanced range of abilities & experience levels in the club, ranging from novices up. Being a young club, we don't have much in the way of facilities (no compressor or boat yet) but some of our members have private boats that we dive from.

Club website (not updated as often as we'd like, I'm afraid.) Brisbane Bsac (http://www.brisbane-bsac.moonfruit.com/)
BSAC website - Scuba diving from beginner to expert - join the fun, join the club (http://www.bsac.com/)

UniDive are a university based club, but open to all. A number of our members also belong to them. I've not dived with them myself, but have heard good things. They have a boat and being a Uni club, the membership is mainly younger divers.
Unidive (http://unidive.org/)

VMR Lionfish is another one of the clubs a number of our members belong to. A more advanced club (AOW+), they have regular diving from private boats and a pretty active schedule. Their current president is one of our keenest members and an all-round good bloke.
VMR Lionfish Dive Club (http://www.vmrsandgate.net.au/lionfish/)

There's a couple of other private clubs operating in the Brisbane area as well as plenty of shop-based groups too. I really should get around to putting a list together of all the various groups around here.

If you want to get a more balanced view of what's around, drop by one of our Monday night pub meetings. Some of the members will be able to put you in contact with other clubs and give you more info. PM me for details or check our club website. :smiley20:

Tassie Diver
02-23-2010, 00:18
Welcome to another Aussie diver! When you get keen and start travelling, include Tassie in your list. We have great diving here.

Blue_Water
02-23-2010, 02:23
Welcome to the board.
Have you checked out http://diveoz.com.au/ (http://www.tassiedivers.com) tops local Australian forum

For gear in Australia have a look at DiveTub Home page @ the Dive Tub (http://divetub.com.au/)
They will price match the O/S shops and are heaps cheaper than the Aussie LDS's

Andy

below sea level
02-23-2010, 06:05
I'm always happy to welcome a fellow Aussie to the board so.... welcome!

I'll be Brisbane based as well when we move back home in a few years. That should give you time to find the best club. :smiley36:

BB1
02-24-2010, 04:39
Hey Guys,

Smashee, the Grand Central is close to my work and a fav for Friday lunch so will pop in 1 Monday night and say G'day. Will PM you when I can get down there. Uni dive looks worth a look as well - thanks for the heads up.

Tassie - sounds good but cold and me don't go real well together and I'm betting its a bit chilly down there.......

Cheers Andy, was planning on calling Divetub but not sure they can match LP's latest sale - massive price drops on lots of gear.

Below Sea level, Engelwood rings a bell. I used to spend a fair bit of time around Williamstown and Hammonton when I was shipping Harleys into England - fun times! You in that neck of the woods?

OK time to start posting questions all over the Gear section.......

Blue_Water
02-24-2010, 07:10
Cheers Andy, was planning on calling Divetub but not sure they can match LP's latest sale - massive price drops on lots of gear.

BB1

They have a policy of price matching any O/S site on the gear they stock, personally I have had great service from them and they have price matched everytime I have asked. Though I buy some gear from ST that they don't do. I will always try and buy local in Australia where I can.

Shoot them a list and see what they come back with.

Regards
Andy

below sea level
02-24-2010, 08:15
Below Sea level, Engelwood rings a bell. I used to spend a fair bit of time around Williamstown and Hammonton when I was shipping Harleys into England - fun times! You in that neck of the woods?

Englewood is about 2 hours north of Williamstown and Hammonton, about 2 miles from the GWB.

Smashee
02-25-2010, 14:58
Hey Guys,
Smashee, the Grand Central is close to my work and a fav for Friday lunch so will pop in 1 Monday night and say G'day. Will PM you when I can get down there. Uni dive looks worth a look as well - thanks for the heads up.

That'd be good, mate. :smiley20: We're usually found in the back "gourmet beer" bar.

PlatypusMan
02-25-2010, 17:15
Hey Guys,

That'd be good, mate. :smiley20: We're usually found in the back "gourmet beer" bar.

That would be Foster's and VB, right? :smiley29:

PPM

Smashee
02-25-2010, 17:25
That would be Foster's and VB, right? :smiley29:

I'd even take XXXX Gold over Coors or that counterfeit horse-water you call Budweiser mate! :smilie39:

We got Little Creatures, Stone & Wood, & Fat Yak along with about 7 different microbrews on tap & a shedload of bottled beers from around the globe. As the majority of our members are Brits & BSAC has a fine tradition of beer appreciation, we picked the pub with the best selection to meet in. :smiley20:

We've been described as a drinking club with a diving problem.

below sea level
02-25-2010, 18:54
The Grand Central? We used to go there several nights per week after work. You mean I could have been talking about diving instead of office politics? :smiley11:

BB1
02-25-2010, 19:05
I'm more a Bee Knee's man myself, closest thing to a Waggle Dance I used to drink in England. Though I much prefer fine Rum's these days - Not Bundy which is just for when I want to get mashed!

I'm already a member of a drinking club with a Motorcycle problem..........
I see a pattern forming here!