PDA

View Full Version : Underwater hockey?

MacDiver
02-24-2010, 12:56
Just wondering if there were any other underwater hockey players out there. It's tons of fun, and is a great way to stay in diving shape and be more comfortable when your mask gets ripped off underwater... :smiley36:

mrmccoy
02-24-2010, 14:02
Never herd of it, sounds pretty cool though.

MacDiver
02-24-2010, 15:18
Yeah, it's a sweet game. The wikipedia page has a good description of it. While I was there I saw a link to underwater ice hockey, which is played on the underside of the ice.
YouTube - Extreme Underwater Ice Hockey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58sa4r5k0zk)

Illini_Fan
02-25-2010, 09:53
My son has played at college -- although the practice time doesn't fit with his schedule this year, so he had to stop.

Seems like a ton of work and thus good exercise.

dkh6070
02-25-2010, 10:08
That seems a little extreme for me.

navyhmc
02-25-2010, 10:30
I remember playing that in the 70's. Not a lot of players in this area, but when I did play it, it was fun. Kind of a cross between water polo and hockey. Skin diving only when I played.

Though we played on the bottom of a pool-indoor pool usually. A great way to improve you breath holding that's for sure.

crandf
04-14-2010, 09:47
I tried it once, but never went back for the second session. Just didn't like the drowning sensation.

cbope
04-15-2010, 11:55
It's reasonably popular here in Finland. I did some dives last year at a large public pool complex and there was a team of ~10-12 yo's practicing in the same pool we were diving in. It's a serious workout. Not exactly my cup of tea though...

captain
04-15-2010, 20:10
My scuba instructor in 1970 made us play it for about 10 minutes at the beginning of every pool session.

josh7284
05-07-2010, 08:52
I've playe wti stiks that weren't but a foot long. is this still the regular underwater hockey of do the sticks get any bigger? anybody ever play in dive grear?

navyhmc
05-07-2010, 15:18
Playing UW hockey in scuba is down right dangerous. While you get the bottom time, you also get a tank to the head, valve in the face, maks broken, etc. Not good. Besides, with m-s-f, you have to learn breath control, and reamwork skills. It really, really sucks to be almost to the goal on a swim-away and be running out of air with no one to pass the puck to.

Lenaxia
07-30-2010, 12:18
Not underwater hockey but when I did competitive swimming we used to play underwater football.

We'd goto the deep end and our coach would toss a rubber coated brick into the pool and you'd have to carry it to the otherside to win. Tackling was legal, but you must release hold as soon as they let go of the brick.

Less risk of drowning, and you lean a lot about oxygen control while diving.

No fins were allowed either, straight up skindiving. The game was pretty epic and fun. Too bad none of my friends are good enough swimmers to play it anymore.

[edit] Whoops... sorry guys, I didn't realize I was ressurecting such an old thread until after I posted...