PDA

View Full Version : Best newbie books

Osprey
09-04-2007, 12:24
I'm talking the "you are learning from scratch" kinds of books. What do you recommend? What did you like, or dislike, about the book?

I have been leafing through Scuba and Snorkeling for Dummies, and I think it makes a great beginner book. Reviews said it was too basic and common sense, but I could see a lot of things I remember asking/wondering about back when I was first learning to snorkel and whatnot. I also like that it has really basic, clear visuals, I think that helps beginners feel more confident when they visit their LDS since they now have a better grasp on what's going on.

So... thoughts?

NitroWill
09-04-2007, 12:34
The NAUI MSD book is pretty good, a lot of great detailed information. Plus, if you ever decide to go that far youll have the book :) I used the book for my AOW instead of the advanced book as well..

Osprey
09-05-2007, 12:49
Very cool Will, thanks!

georoc01
09-05-2007, 13:24
I have Scuba Diving: A Trailside Guide and thought it was pretty good. Its independent of the certification orgs, but does use the YMCA tables..

http://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Diving-Trailside-Karen-Berger/dp/039331944X/ref=sr_1_1/105-9902917-4922024?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189016579&sr=8-1

RECDiver
09-07-2007, 18:16
Review your beginning text is a good start. The NAUI MSD text, NOAA Dive Manual is another. I also suggest "Last Dive" to divers and particularly DM candidates. You can look at the Best Publishing website for more ideas at www.bestpub.com.
BTW, don't forget to diving often. That's the best!

DevilDiver
09-07-2007, 19:38
I'll throw the PADI Encyclopedia of Diving into the mix. (I know everyone loves NAUI) But this is is good read to understand more about the ocean, dive theory, Bubble Formation and how the human body reacts to the underwater world.
Also ALL of the Fish ID books. If you are diving you might as well know what and where to look for fish...
There is a diver hand signal book I picked up a few year back that is great if you want to learn more in that area.

Hope these help!

Charles R
09-07-2007, 19:41
Doing it right is a great book also fitness for divers is another great book. and also recommend the encyclopedia of diving

mpd525
09-07-2007, 21:17
Diver Down is real good for learning how to avoid accidents, and Diving Science is pretty good also. For some funny reading material, Rapture of the Deep: And other dive stories you shouldn't know. It's pretty humorous, bout a guy who is a freelance dive instructor and dive master. Dive Training magazine is a great read too, lots of good info in it.

DevilDiver
09-07-2007, 21:51
Diver Down is real good for learning how to avoid accidents, and Diving Science is pretty good also. For some funny reading material, Rapture of the Deep: And other dive stories you shouldn't know. It's pretty humorous, bout a guy who is a freelance dive instructor and dive master. Dive Training magazine is a great read too, lots of good info in it.

Man, it's just like looking in the mirror. Diver Down is a good book. The only thing better than learning from your mistakes is learning from someone elses....

medic001918
09-08-2007, 03:09
Add another vote for "Doing it right: The fundamentals of better diving" by GUE. While it is completely a DIR book, the principles are well laid out and you can understand the importance of many aspects after reading the book. A lot of the information in the book is of high quality, even if you decide not to go the DIR route.

Shane

Osprey
09-09-2007, 00:03
All very interesting! Awesome! I heard great things about diver down, I should go pick up a copy..