PDA

View Full Version : What on earth is: AAUS certified??

ScubaGir1
09-04-2007, 14:23
A potential Graduate Professor (for Marine Biology) just asked me if I was AAUS certified in scuba. I haven't responded to the email yet... I have no clue what that is LOL :smiley5:

Does anyone else know? Thanks!

-Becky

Illini_Fan
09-04-2007, 14:25
According to Google

http://www.aaus.org/mc/page.do

American Academy of Underwater Scientists

Organized in 1977, the AAUS was incorporated in the State of California in 1983. The Board of Directors, responsible for governing the coporation, consists of an elected President, President-Elect, Secretary, an appointed Treasurer, three elected Directors and four appointed Directors. The AAUS has five standing Committees (Standards, Statistics, Scholarship, Membership and Finance).
An Advisory Board of past board members provides continuity and a core of expertise to the AAUS. Membership in the Academy is granted to individuals in the member, associate member and student member categories, and to organizations currently engaged in scientific diving activities.

Scientific diving programs allow research diving teams to operate under the exemption from OSHA commercial diving regulations.

AAUS Member Organizations help protect themselves from possible fines and civil suits by their confirmed commitment to meeting AAUS requirements and adherence to a set of standards recognized as the "standard of practice" within the scientific diving community.

Following a consensual set of standards enables AAUS member organizations to enjoy reciprocity when collaborating on research projects with other AAUS member organizations. This reciprocity is the product of years of experience, trust and cooperation between underwater scientists.

scubasamurai
09-04-2007, 14:25
could this be it???
American Academy of Underwater Sciences (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6gAsd1GV.8AvbBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE5OHVpdjd oBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNwRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0Y5ODJfMTc1B GwDV1Mx/SIG=135be09bd/EXP=1189020288/**https%3a//web.memberclicks.com/mc/quickForm/viewForm.do%3forgId=aaus%26formId=17935)

ScubaGir1
09-04-2007, 14:30
Thanks for the help guys! :)

ScubaGir1
09-04-2007, 14:43
Is anyone a member or AAUS Certified?
I'd love to hear what exactly you do as a member (oh, and how much it is :D). Thanks!

cudachaser
09-04-2007, 15:58
AAUS divers are exempt from OSHA requirements for commercial divers

hydro
09-06-2007, 10:18
cudachase nailed it. Scientists and normal folks that had to do diving operations through some sort of formal organization had to abide by OSHA diving regulations before AAUS existed, which includes all sorts of tedious regulations not really applicable to the non-profit, educational, and scientific arena.

So a consortium stepped up and formed the AAUS to provide for a loophole for those particular interest groups when it came to the OSHA regulations. Now they only have to follow AAUS which is a bit more leanient for their purposes. I've met many NOAA divers that have to be AAUS certified, if you're doing diving work for an educational institution (eg, Texas A&M University), you're supposed to be AAUS. It's sort of a CYA thing.

To get/remain AAUS certified, you'll need to go through an initial examination, and a re-examination every 5 years if you're under the age of 40, every 3 years if you're over 40, or ever 2 years if you're over 60.

They do a medical history, physical exam w/ emphasis on neurological and otological components, chest x-ray, spirometry, hematocrit/hemoglobin, urinalysis (and if you're over 40, additionally they do a resting EKG, assessment of coronary artery disease per age, lipid profile, blood pressure, diabetic screening, and smoking status).

Mtrewyn
09-06-2007, 11:30
sounds like the medical physical that most adults should go through every year anyway, especially if there is a history of any health problem in your family.

ScubaGir1
09-06-2007, 14:07
Wow, thanks for the info :smiley20:

Kingpatzer
09-06-2007, 14:19
A potential Graduate Professor . .

Compeltely off-topic but . . .

If you're going into graduate studies, you will need to develop the habit of trying to answer your own questions. Typing 'AAUS' in Google yielded "American Academy of Underwater Sciences" as the very first result.

I'm not saying that asking here was a bad idea, but rather, I am trying to communicate that the expectations of graduate school will be that you can do research and that you'll be agressive in the pursuit of knowledge and understanding.

Graduate school can be a real grind, but developing solid research skills early in your pursuit will make it a lot easier.

Good luck!

JoeGilmore
02-29-2012, 23:11
I know this is kinda old thread but.... AAUS training typically includes Rescue, Nitrox, and Master, NAUI certification as well as "DAN for the Professional Diver", rebreather, blue water, scientific methodology, and sometimes tethered training.