PDA

View Full Version : Strap

mrbeast1414
02-25-2010, 09:52
So i recently purchased Viper fins but when I was pulling them tight, the strap broke. The clip, had a piece missing inside. As my LDS is 30 minutes away, is there anywhere else that has replacement parts. thanks

ScubaToys Larry
02-25-2010, 10:03
Here you go

Scuba Gear and Dive Equipment with reviews on sale (http://scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=spring+straps&Submit=Go)

then never worry about a broken strap again.

navyhmc
02-25-2010, 11:44
Amen to that Larry! I replaced all my strap with springs and wonder why I did do it sooner. Makes all the difference!

awap
02-25-2010, 12:01
With rubber straps and plastic buckles, it is a question of when, not if, they will fail. If you go the spring strap route, make sure both the straps and the buckles are metal to get the full benefit.

brojack17
02-25-2010, 12:38
I bought the $20 springs at ST. I absolutely love them. I have my old straps in my save a dive kit, but I expect it to be for other people.

tfd86
04-05-2010, 12:13
Best money I ever spent, easy on/off and don't have to worry about breaking.:smiley20:

Flatliner
04-05-2010, 12:52
Yeah, what everyone else said...

I keep the old straps in the kit just in case but then I am paranoid...

brojack17
04-05-2010, 13:53
I keep the old straps just in-case OTHER divers need them.

gary1948
08-30-2010, 23:18
I broke my first strap at about 600 dives. Lucky for me I kept a spare strap setup on the boat. It took me about 30 seconds to change and I was ready to go again. When looking to buy fins a person should consider if he/she will be able to find parts easy. If not then buy a different set of fins. Buy the way that pair of fins I used with the replaced strap has given me many thousands of dive since I bought it. Of course I had to replace more straps over time.

comet24
08-31-2010, 01:01
Dive enough with plastic and rubber straps on your fins and they will break at some point. Spring straps are also easier to get on and off. I prefer the ones with metal connection to the fins. The ones that still have plastic buckles can still break.

Straegen
08-31-2010, 09:07
I stopped carrying spare straps after I fashioned a strap out of bungee cord on a dive and it worked brilliantly. Steel spring straps are nice and I love them on my Atomics, but actually prefer the bungee style on the Seawing Novas.

Rileybri
08-31-2010, 09:36
I stopped carrying spare straps after I fashioned a strap out of bungee cord on a dive and it worked brilliantly. Steel spring straps are nice and I love them on my Atomics, but actually prefer the bungee style on the Seawing Novas.

The only problem I see with that is the rubber strands inside the protective sheath break down and fail then you are left with the same issue. I have seen some people run some steel wire through it as well as a back up. There is not substitute for metal on metal spring straps.