PDA

View Full Version : Raja Ampat - looking for advice/information

beaner
02-26-2010, 03:50
Hi everyone,
I would like to take a trip to Raja Ampat by the end of the year and am looking for advice/information on how to go about planning it.
I don't know too much about the destination other than that it is a diving mecca and not to be missed if you can help it.
I live in Phuket, Thailand so it isn't too far and I want to make sure that I get there before I move away from Southeast Asia.
I am PADI AOW with 50+ dives.
Can anyone offer good advice and information on ALL aspects?
-Who to dive with
-How far in advance I need to book
-Where to stay (suspect liveaboard is really the only option?)
-Best time to go
-How to get there from Bangkok, Singapore or Kuala Lumpur (all direct flights from Phuket, this is why I mention these cities)
-Stop-over stay sugguestions
-Other things to do while there
-Things to watch out for (warnings)
-And any other important information?
I don't want to spend a fortune, but this is also a once-in-a-lifetime trip, so something in between, cost-wise, would be good. (I'm not even sure what costs are, so this is why I say in between low- and high-end).
Thanks ever so much.
And, of course (!), if anyone is interested in joining me!
Jenni

dawnvip
04-02-2010, 22:29
My hubby and I are planning on going to Bali and Raja Ampat in June. Hopefully someone will answer all your questions as I'd sure like to know too!!!

Travelnsj
04-02-2010, 23:35
I've been to Sorido resort (in the Papua area of Raja) three times in two years and going back in November. They also have the Kri eco resort which is a bit cheaper. I have three trip reports posted that should answer a few of your questions and ask if there is anything else.

chinacat46
04-03-2010, 14:20
Hi everyone,
I would like to take a trip to Raja Ampat by the end of the year and am looking for advice/information on how to go about planning it.
I don't know too much about the destination other than that it is a diving mecca and not to be missed if you can help it.
I live in Phuket, Thailand so it isn't too far and I want to make sure that I get there before I move away from Southeast Asia.
I am PADI AOW with 50+ dives.
Can anyone offer good advice and information on ALL aspects?
-Who to dive with
-How far in advance I need to book
-Where to stay (suspect liveaboard is really the only option?)
-Best time to go
-How to get there from Bangkok, Singapore or Kuala Lumpur (all direct flights from Phuket, this is why I mention these cities)
-Stop-over stay sugguestions
-Other things to do while there
-Things to watch out for (warnings)
-And any other important information?
I don't want to spend a fortune, but this is also a once-in-a-lifetime trip, so something in between, cost-wise, would be good. (I'm not even sure what costs are, so this is why I say in between low- and high-end).
Thanks ever so much.
And, of course (!), if anyone is interested in joining me!
Jenni

You have lots of options as Raja has been "discovered". Unfortunately it is still a PITA to get to.

There are many LOB's(Peter Hughes, Archipelago, Seven Seas, Raja Explorer, and many others) to choose from most are high end with some a bit cheaper. Land based you have Sorido and Kri resorts as well as the Misool Eco Resort.

You could go pretty much anytime but the low season is probably around mid April to mid August. Less LOBs during that time.

You have options to get to Raja. You can go from Bali, Jakarta, or Manado. If you have the time the diving around Manado is some of the best in the world too. I love to dive in Lembeh Strait and there is also Bunaken Marine Park as well as the Bangka area. If you fly into Manado you can go via Silk Air or Air Asia both fly out of Phuket and into Manado. If you fly to Bali you have many airlines to choose from. Getting to Raja basically means flying to Sorong(So Wrong). So first decide if you want to do a side trip/diving in Bali or Manado or go thru Jakarta after that you can figure out how to get to So Wrong.

So for stopover you choose Bali for both great diving and great stuff above water or Manado for the best "muck diving" in the world as well as some other great diving. If you've never been to Bali go there if you want to dive hit Lembeh Strait(Manado). I've done almost 300 dives in Indonesia and there are other great areas to visit Komodo is definitely another world class site. Wakatobi is another place although not the best diving in Indonesia definitely a great dive resort and still some awesome diving. Many options how much time do you have?