PDA

View Full Version : My first "real" dive, EVER, is this weekend...

Stuspot
09-04-2007, 15:57
:smiley20:

I'm nervous and excited. I got certified after I did my open water dives in August and now this weekend my dad and I are participating in a Trash and Treasure Dive weekend at the same lake.

It's about a 5 hour drive up there, to this lake in Northern Minnesota.

We plan to spend our dive time working on our buoyancy.

We'll wear 7mm suits--I think it's a shorty over overalls and they were such a bitch to get on last time. Ugh.

We will have all day on Saturday to dive and do our own thing and then Sunday morning, all the divers who are there for the weekend help clean up the lake and seach for hidden tokens or prizes or something.

When I was doing my open water dives, I rented the same equipment from them that I'll have this weekend and I had a pretty hard time descending so I had a lot of weight. I am hoping to get breathing figured out better this weekend so that I can just relax and have some fun, instead of always being worried about where I'm suppose to be and how to hover and all that. :smiley1:

Wish me luck! Got any advice?

Illini_Fan
09-04-2007, 16:05
Have fun, relax, don't feel pressured to participate in the clean-up unless you are comfortable with everything else, relax, have fun.

DevilDiver
09-04-2007, 16:10
Don't forget your new wetsuit!!

http://www.saynotocrack.com/img/fart_in_wetsuit.jpg

:smilie39: Just Kidding!!! Have fun and let everyone know how it goes..........

Coaster
09-04-2007, 16:17
Focus on your basics..7mils require weights...but avoid over weighting...and you may have to work to get down 15 ffw or so...where you can feel the compression on the 7 mil work for you. From the surface, remove the air from your BC, exhale, relax, and swim down if necessary. Sounds like you are going there to practice...and that is what I did...practice...to get the buoyancy close to perfect. It's more fun that way. Good luck!

ertechsg
09-04-2007, 16:18
LiKE Illini_Fan said relax,relax,relax it will help you.. drop weight ...use less air and injoy your dive more. So work on bouyancy but injoy your time under water HAVE FUN

Capt Hook
09-04-2007, 16:57
Just relax and enjoy.
And Congratulations on your cert.

kevinj1
09-04-2007, 17:06
you will have a blast----just enjoy and go with the flow...

lucidblue
09-04-2007, 18:50
Just relax, practice and enjoy yourself. Spend a lot of time on buoyancy.

thesmoothdome
09-04-2007, 19:06
Hehe....everyone else has already said it, so I won't say it again. As far as breathing goes, don't stress on it (see, I said relax, but didn't say relax :) ) SAC rates improve naturally as you dive more. Just enjoy the time you have underwater and always keep an eye on your gauges.

TexasFreddy
09-04-2007, 20:56
When you 1st hit the water in colder water your breathing rate goes way up, hang out @ the surface for awhile untill it settles down [your body gets used to the deep freeze it just jumped into] then descend, and have fun.:smiley2:

RECDiver
09-04-2007, 21:39
Relax and have a great time!

DivingsInMyBlood
09-04-2007, 22:06
hope you have a blast.

frankc420
09-04-2007, 22:12
Be safe and have fun! If you bring up 1 item you've done better than most of the people!

I've not had any issues putting on a wetsuit, but you could try putting a lot of lotion on your legs etc to help it slide on... it would be dual purpose, baby butt smooth skin and an easy on wetsuit.. err, easier on :)

ScubaGir1
09-04-2007, 22:26
Good luck, that sounds like a great cause!! :)
Wonder if they have things like that out here...

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 22:40
Once you get in the water it will all be fun! Just be safe.....Have fun!

finflippers
09-04-2007, 22:49
Congratulations on your OW certification and welcome to the wonderful world of scuba diving.

Divegirl
09-04-2007, 23:11
I am so excited for you, the first time is such an experience. Congrats on the cert.
TAKE YOUR TIME, don't let anyone rush you. Try to get in the water early so you can just
float there a minute and then only when YOU are ready.

TO COOL, i am so happy for you, good luck

Stuspot
09-05-2007, 12:26
Thank you so much, everyone, for all your replies of encouragement!!! :smiley20:

I think I will just try to relax and have fun!! :smiley2:

No seriously, that is my goal. Practice with the breathing and just enjoy the time with my dad. I am actually hoping that the water won't be all that cold, but hanging on the surface for a while is a good idea.

I'm really looking forward to it and I'll be sure to check back in sometime next week to regale you with stories of perch, bluegills and giant northerns. :smiley36:

Zenagirl
09-05-2007, 14:57
Definitely let us know how it went and how you felt about it! It's always such fun to hear about people's first "real" dive after certification. :D

Dakotadiver
09-06-2007, 17:35
Don't worry kid I'll be right beside you, looking for trash and treasure. Just remember to listen to old Dad.

cudachaser
09-06-2007, 18:29
Just think of how great in will be to dive tropical waters where 3 mil is "overdressing"!

Joe
www.cbscubaodyssey.com

blue37
09-06-2007, 19:08
Great posts... my wife and I will be taking our "first" dives next week as well following our certification in August. Great points on focusing on buoyancy... I hope to get better dialed in this time on weight.

Black-Gorrilla
09-06-2007, 22:27

:smilie39:
that picture is gonna be around till the end of time!! i love it!!

as others mentioned... have fun, and be patient with yourself. Enjoy.

divechaplain-sara
09-07-2007, 01:15
What do you mean first real dive? Did they let you use a similator for your checkout dives?:smiley2: You've already been making real dives. However, I totally understand that sense of finally being a real diver and it didn't come for me either until my buddy and I made our first dive sans instructor or a dive master. The thing is though, that you already are a real diver but these first independent dives are the ones where we "grow into our wetsuits" so to speak. YOU WILL DO GREAT!! I'm looking forward to hearing your report.

JFine
09-07-2007, 11:50
Have a great time. I remember my first dive after certification. It was a blast.

dallasdivergirl
09-07-2007, 13:33
Good for you!

Have a great time with your dad and have fun.

Stuspot
09-10-2007, 09:37
Well, we’re back and we didn’t freeze to death!! :smiley29: Fortunately, my dad, Dakotadiver, has a camper so we didn’t have to tent camp!! :smiley32:

We got in four dives, two on Saturday and two on Sunday. On Saturday, it rained all day long and the air temp was about 62 so it was hard to convince my swim suited, clothed self to take off my jeans and put on a wetsuit. Especially for the second dive. But we did and once we got in the water we warmed up—the water was around 70 degrees.

We did boat dives—one was to the far end of the lake so the boat guy waited for us and took us back but mostly he dropped us off and we made our way back to the dock. The visibility was relatively good for that environment—about 20 feet or so—but could be easily ruined if someone kicked up the silt that settles on everything that’s on the bottom of the lake. On Sunday it was sunny and about 70 so everything was easier, from better viz to wet suit donning to overall attitudes. :smiley1:

We saw a few northerns, bass, crappies and multitudes of bluegills. Bluegills everywhere in this lake. And every size of them too, from teeny tiny to a bit bigger than my hand. Just cute.

The goal was to relax and work on buoyancy. And I did have moments (minutes, even) where I was just slowly swimming along and everything was cool and I could see dad because we were just hanging out beside each other. The deeper we went, the easier it was to relax. We mostly dove in about 20 to 25 feet for all four dives. We got as deep as 31 feet but the thermoclime was right at about 30, so it got cold really quick at that depth! I tried to relax but did have quite a bit of busy brain time where my brain kept going, “Where’s dad? Oh, there he is. Ok. Am I sinking down again? Dang. A bit of air in bc. Where’s dad? Oh, there he is. Ok. Am I rising up again? Dang. Let out a bit of air. Where’s dad? Oh, there he is. Ok…..” This mind game got better for me as we went on but never completely went away. People tell me that buoyancy will be easier to control when we go to Bonaire and 1. go deeper and 2. are in the warm salt water. It better be true, people, because I am counting on it!! :smiley1:

As far as trash goes, this lake is getting to the point where it’s fairly clean! Which is a good deal. But we did manage to find one beer can. :smiley2:

It was raining a bit too much to play any of the reindeer games but they had volley ball and horseshoes, etc.

But the really cool part was the Treasure part!! During the first dive on Sunday, we were to search for weighted floats as we picked up trash and we found one, for which I won a backpack-style mesh bag!! And then I won a mask!! Woot!! My dad won several items, including a soft adjustable mask strap, which he gave to me for my new mask!! So there go three of the items on my “must buy” list for our trip!!! :smiley32:

Overall, it was a pretty good weekend, although it was sure good to get home to the warmth of fire last night. :smiley1:

Illini_Fan
09-10-2007, 09:46
Thanks for posting the follow-up. It sounds like you had some really nice dives and took it nice and easy. Great job. Plus winning some gear always makes for a nice weekend.

lucidblue
09-10-2007, 10:15
The goal was to relax and work on buoyancy. And I did have moments (minutes, even) where I was just slowly swimming along and everything was cool and I could see dad because we were just hanging out beside each other. The deeper we went, the easier it was to relax. We mostly dove in about 20 to 25 feet for all four dives. We got as deep as 31 feet but the thermoclime was right at about 30, so it got cold really quick at that depth! I tried to relax but did have quite a bit of busy brain time where my brain kept going, “Where’s dad? Oh, there he is. Ok. Am I sinking down again? Dang. A bit of air in bc. Where’s dad? Oh, there he is. Ok. Am I rising up again? Dang. Let out a bit of air. Where’s dad? Oh, there he is. Ok…..” This mind game got better for me as we went on but never completely went away. People tell me that buoyancy will be easier to control when we go to Bonaire and 1. go deeper and 2. are in the warm salt water. It better be true, people, because I am counting on it!! :smiley1:

My first dives after certification were in Cozumel. I didn't even really think much about buoyancy there... everything seemed to just come naturally. Looking back there are definitely things I could work on, but it was a lot easier than the quarry. My last 6 dives were at the quarry and it's been constant buoyancy practice (new gear contributed to this) each time. Bonaire should definitely be easier for you.

greyzen
09-10-2007, 10:27

Something that was taught to me was to count your breathing. It helps to slow and steady it down, and helps out on buoyancy quite a bit.
Just inhale/exhale on a set number (mine is 8, yours might be different)
So inhale 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...(exhale)...2...3.. .4...5...6...7...8.

Also, you'll notice a lot of people learn breathing control to do minute changes to their buoyancy... breath shallow if you are trying to descend, breath deeper if you try to ascend. Remember you only need to start the motion and then resume fairly normal count to keep going that direction.

(For example, take a deep quick breath, and you'll start rising... exhale normally and you'll still go up)

Hope it helps!

scubasavvy
09-10-2007, 12:50
Sounds like a great trip. It's a good thing you had the mind games going, though. I wish some of my buddies would wonder where I am...

ertechsg
09-10-2007, 13:33

Let me guess this is now you screen saver.:smiley36:

divechaplain-sara
09-10-2007, 17:42
Great report. Bouancy does get easier as you get more experience. However, part of being a good buddy is to remember to keep looking for your buddy rather than getting so relaxed or engrossed in your experience that you lose them. I think you are showing the signs of being a great buddy.

lucidblue
09-10-2007, 18:34

Something that was taught to me was to count your breathing. It helps to slow and steady it down, and helps out on buoyancy quite a bit.
Just inhale/exhale on a set number (mine is 8, yours might be different)
So inhale 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...(exhale)...2...3.. .4...5...6...7...8.

Also, you'll notice a lot of people learn breathing control to do minute changes to their buoyancy... breath shallow if you are trying to descend, breath deeper if you try to ascend. Remember you only need to start the motion and then resume fairly normal count to keep going that direction.

(For example, take a deep quick breath, and you'll start rising... exhale normally and you'll still go up)

Hope it helps!

I haven't tried the counting. Will definitely give it a shot next time I dive. Any tips for improving buoyancy are appreciated.

Travelnsj
09-10-2007, 20:29
The best way I learned how to control my buoyancy.....is to go limp!....About 5 years ago in Palau Keith an instructor who I believe was frustrated with my Buoyancy.....wrote in big letters...GO LIMP.....best diving advice I had so far!

FyVe
09-12-2007, 00:17

Let me guess this is now you screen saver.:smiley36:

rofl that thing is GREAT

DevilDiver
09-12-2007, 00:23
quote=Travelnsj;49278]The best way I learned how to control my buoyancy.....is to go limp!....About 5 years ago in Palau Keith an instructor who I believe was frustrated with my Buoyancy.....wrote in big letters...GO LIMP.....best diving advice I had so far![/quote]

Sorry to hear about the limp thing.... Hope you work that out. You can't dive all the time.............................................. .........:smiley20:

Travelnsj
09-12-2007, 09:36
quote=Travelnsj;49278]The best way I learned how to control my buoyancy.....is to go limp!....About 5 years ago in Palau Keith an instructor who I believe was frustrated with my Buoyancy.....wrote in big letters...GO LIMP.....best diving advice I had so far!

Sorry to hear about the limp thing.... Hope you work that out. You can't dive all the time.............................................. .........:smiley20:[/quote]

LOL...LOL...LOL....I owe you one!!!!!!