PDA

View Full Version : Mine LaMotte

skdvr
09-04-2007, 16:30
I was just curious as to who else may have heard about the incident at Mine LaMotte and if not wanted to pass some info along...

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=128476

Phil

SteveC
09-04-2007, 19:52
Yea, I just heard about it too. That place is so dangerous I can't believe more people don't get hurt.

Kidder
09-04-2007, 20:12
that a bummer, it sounds like the second guy hit something. He dove and never came up.

cummings66
09-05-2007, 18:49
Quarries have been known for a long time as being dangerous for people diving off the walls above. It really depends on the quarry as to how much risk there is.

To me it sounds as if they got too close to the wall and hit it. I also think the crowd that goes there to swim has been asking for this, look at his website pics and you'll see the type of behavior condusive to problems. It's a party quarry during the summer and the fact they kept it going during the accident shows that well.

skdvr
09-05-2007, 20:07
It was kind of interesting to hear the owner in the interview on the News. He said What do you expect me to do. I have everyone sign a waiver and there are signs posted saying that it can be dangerous to jump. I have a buisness to run. If I close down then what am I supposed to do for money. That obviously is not a direct quote but that is basically what he said...

I have been to this place and it is amazing how many beer cans are down there. The time that I dove it was in the middle of the week so there was not a bunch of people out there. It was just me and my buddy diving and then about 15 people swimming and jumping off the cliffs. I have heard that on the weekends it is insane around there during the weekends...

Phil

snagel
09-07-2007, 19:59
Insane is an understatement. I thought I was going to do my first rescue dive there. I was waiting in the water for my dive buddies and a bunch of drunken kids were on the cliffs. One damn near fell off in front of me, not sure what kept him up. I thought for sure I was going down to get him, but he walked over to the grass and was passed out.

S. Nagel

scuba Widow
09-07-2007, 20:20
That is so sad my prayers go out to their families.

skdvr
09-08-2007, 08:45
Insane is an understatement. I thought I was going to do my first rescue dive there. I was waiting in the water for my dive buddies and a bunch of drunken kids were on the cliffs. One damn near fell off in front of me, not sure what kept him up. I thought for sure I was going down to get him, but he walked over to the grass and was passed out.

S. Nagel

That is really the problem with that place is that everyone goes there to get trashed. Not that there is anything wrong with getting stupid drunk, but I do not think I would do it around a bunch of 60ft cliffs, even if it is into water...

Phil

Kidder
09-08-2007, 09:39
Yup nothing like getting all sloppy and bouncing your head off of a rock wall. Its tragic, but human nature unfortunately. I think the owner needs to at least put up a sign saying drinking and diving has caused x number of deaths. Do not drink and dive.

beperkins
10-17-2008, 10:34
It sounds like somebody needs to buy that place and convert it to scuba only. Add air fills and clean it up? So close to St. Louis that it might be a money maker. I think the party attitude is all that keeps a lot of divers away.

snagel
10-25-2008, 07:16
Not sure about what is going on with this place since the incident last spring. But, for the owner, the money maker is the drunken kids. Not sure how true, but have heard it isn't (wasn't) uncommon for 400 kids to be there on a weekend (paying to get in). I would say in the owners eyes the income from the kids far outways the potential income from divers. But, I would love to see this place turned into a diving paradise. Just don't think there is a motivation for this by the owner.

A group of local divers did a lot of work last year trying to clean up part of the area for diving, but haven't heard much this year. If I remember right, the quarry is fairly shallow and literally littered with beer cans and sun glasses on the bottom.

S. Nagel

skdvr
10-26-2008, 01:05
Yes the place is extremely littered with beer cans, sun glasses, shorts, bikini tops. You name it and you could probably find it in there. It is a nice place to dive. It is fairly shally in the open quarry. I have heard that is one Hole to 80ft or so but never found that... Vis can be pretty good in there, but like Snagle said the money maker is the kids way over any amount of divers you could get in there... I wish that it was better suited for divers, but it will take a new owner for that to happen...

Phil