PDA

View Full Version : tsunami headed for hawaii

bigman241
02-27-2010, 15:23
Any off you guys from hawaii evacing. Have they said when or if a wave will hit. I was on msn.com and it seemed to be sure one would hit it said water was heading off shore which I case is a sign of one coming.

Hope you are all safe.

Splitlip
02-27-2010, 15:31
old news man.

Fart in the wind.

bigman241
02-27-2010, 18:29
I saw about a hour after the post it hit land something like a bad wave. Glad it was not bad. Guess the earthquake matched the 7th greatest at 8.4. SO alittle more then a fart in the wind but not a nuclear bomb either.

Splitlip
02-27-2010, 18:33
The first wave to hit the Big Island measured 1 meter, or roughly 3 feet.

Bigg_Budd
02-27-2010, 19:57
old news man.

Fart in the wind.

you are my damn hero, man...

Trunk_Monkey
02-27-2010, 20:36

I guess after what happened in Waipio Valley in 1946, they take stuff like this seriously.

It ain't easy getting outta that place quick (one really steep road that I have no desire to hike up).:smiley11:

bigman241
02-27-2010, 20:51
I think the 200,000+ dead from the the one in 2004 I think it was is still in everyone's mind. Plus hawaii being american they tend to care more about the people then most other countries better of leaving the island a day or two early then being tossed out into the sea in a 40 foot wave. Lucky it was not bad. I think it is one of those freak things they have no idea how bad it will be. Like in italy there are a few volcanoes that have killed entire town so they tend to leave when one start blowing ash

I guess after what happened in Waipio Valley in 1946, they take stuff like this seriously.

It ain't easy getting outta that place quick (one really steep road that I have no desire to hike up).:smiley11:

bpadivers
02-27-2010, 21:47
Dude, we could dive that tsunami

Splitlip
02-27-2010, 21:52
Plus hawaii being american they tend to care more about the people then most other countries

Sure as hell hope "they" do. The "people" are us (US).
Insert "Indiana" when you see "them" mention "Hawaii".

Hawaii is not another country.

Trunk_Monkey
02-27-2010, 23:28

:smiley2::smiley2::smiley2::smiley2::smiley2:

One of the reasons to go dive there. Totally different from the mainland, still the good ol USA.

inventor
02-27-2010, 23:31
Plus hawaii being american

Bit testy these days?:smiley31:

Diver Kat
02-28-2010, 09:22

But ya'll know Texas is ... right??? :smiley36:

Splitlip
02-28-2010, 09:29
I am very much aware of that!

bigman241
02-28-2010, 09:41
I know that what I meant was in the US and each state the government and people in charge care if "them people" Us Americans DIE. WHere as in alot of other countries they tend to care more about the bottom line and less about their people. Yes I knew hawaii was another state.

Plus hawaii being american they tend to care more about the people then most other countries

Sure as hell hope "they" do. The "people" are us (US).
Insert "Indiana" when you see "them" mention "Hawaii".

bigman241
02-28-2010, 09:42
:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: :smilie39:

RogerAg
02-28-2010, 12:53
Did I point out that my Condo in Kona Pacific is a "Civil Defense Building? When the sirens sound people on the beach head for my building.
Yes for just $100.00 a night you to can be safe.

Trunk_Monkey
02-28-2010, 14:08

Of course.:smiley20:

Quero
03-01-2010, 01:15
I was there in Hawaii at the time. Watched it on television. I actually got stuck in Hawaii because of that non-event, but better safe, than sorry, I guess. The last big quake from Chile 25 years ago sent a tsunami to Hawaii that caused dozens of deaths in Hilo, so this one was carefully watched. My flight was out of Hilo, but with the airport closed, I've had a 24 hour delay in my travel plans. I'm on my way back home as I write this from Narita (Tokyo) airport.

Jack Hammer
03-01-2010, 04:48
Many people living on an island get numb to frequent tsunami warnings where nothing materializes. That is why you hear of a large group of people ignoring the warning sirens and getting caught off guard when one does arrive. It's unfortunate but it's human nature.

navyhmc
03-01-2010, 06:18
Many people living on an island get numb to frequent tsunami warnings where nothing materializes. That is why you hear of a large group of people ignoring the warning sirens and getting caught off guard when one does arrive. It's unfortunate but it's human nature.

Others call it natural selection...equally sad, but nature is indeed a harsh mistress.

Nemrod
03-01-2010, 08:51
The 24X7 news talking heads are so ignorant and hype this crap up so much it is no wonder people are going insane and going postal. N

RogerAg
03-01-2010, 14:59
The 24X7 news talking heads are so ignorant and hype this crap up so much it is no wonder people are going insane and going postal. N

Most of the time, the warnings come to nothing. But that is because we don't have a precise warning system.
If we insist to ignore warning signs it is my thoughts that people get what they deserve. That means if they were warned and something bad happens because they ignored the signs then TO BAD!

bigman241
03-01-2010, 16:39
When we were in cayman there was a big storm headed there they where saying it would be a cat one hurracain. The guy told me on a tropical storm they go swimming. On a cat on hurricane they go surfing. A cat 2 and a cat three they just get drunk and have a bbq on the beach. He said normally they did nothing but have fun till it hit 3. I was scared to death it would get there before we left. Or knowing my luck hit the plane and drop us in cuba.

Trunk_Monkey
03-01-2010, 17:58
What I love are the bottom of the screen banners which proclaim - "Surges are Sweeping Ashore on Hawaii's Big Island."

Anyone who's ever been on the east coast of the island knows that there are almost always surges seeping ashore there.:smiley5: Some are much larger than what came from that earthquake.

bigman241
03-01-2010, 19:51
When I was watching fox they said a 3 foot wave is barreling down on the islands. We were in fl when I was a kid on the gulf side and there were waves bigger then that. But they called a local robbery/rape ending is the guy getting shot in the leg three times a shoot out to.
What I love are the bottom of the screen banners which proclaim - "Surges are Sweeping Ashore on Hawaii's Big Island."

Anyone who's ever been on the east coast of the island knows that there are almost always surges seeping ashore there.:smiley5: Some are much larger than what came from that earthquake.

Trunk_Monkey
03-02-2010, 13:27
When I was watching fox they said a 3 foot wave is barreling down on the islands.

Run for your lives!!!:eek2:

Jack Hammer
03-02-2010, 13:34
Media oversensationalizing these events is a part of what mekes people become numb to them and start to ignore the warnings that never materialize. Basically it's the modern equivalent of The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

navyhmc
03-02-2010, 14:08
Though in this instance, I can understand the caution: last time there was a similar earthquake in Chile, there was a devastating tsunami that accompanied it. As I recall, it wrecd havoc in The Cook Islands as well as Hawaii. So this time, I don't think they cried wolf as much as it was a xasw of Thank God it wasn't as bad as we feared.

Jack Hammer
03-02-2010, 16:33
Though in this instance, I can understand the caution: last time there was a similar earthquake in Chile, there was a devastating tsunami that accompanied it. As I recall, it wrecd havoc in The Cook Islands as well as Hawaii. So this time, I don't think they cried wolf as much as it was a xasw of Thank God it wasn't as bad as we feared.
100% in agreement with ya, an earthquake of that size warrants being taken quite seriously. Due to the depths of the waters around the Hawaiian islands it can be very difficult to predict what will or won't cause a tsunami to hit.

Quero
03-02-2010, 16:56
The thing is, there was a tsunami that arrived at Hawaii. It was simply a small one. The prediction was correct in terms of the time of arrival, and in fact, the size of the wave was never predicted to be large. The system worked, essentially.

navyhmc
03-02-2010, 17:20
The thing is, there was a tsunami that arrived at Hawaii. It was simply a small one. The prediction was correct in terms of the time of arrival, and in fact, the size of the wave was never predicted to be large. The system worked, essentially.

Not only that, but they have additional data to better predict the next one.:smiley20:

Tassie Diver
03-02-2010, 17:20
:smiley20:Very good point!

Jack Hammer
03-02-2010, 17:31
I'm not trying to knock the accuracy of this particular instance, I truly don't have the technological background to take any position with any authority other than non-scientific personal experience. I lived in Hawaii and went through dozens of tsunami warnings where we were given the time and size of the expected wave. in all but one absolutely nothing happened, and that one was nothing compared to what was expected. Again, I feel due to the size of this quake that the warning should have been taken much more seriously by everyone. Still, being correct some times is about as solid a position as "I had a broken watch once, it told the right time twice a day." :smiley36:

Trunk_Monkey
03-02-2010, 21:08

Not only that, but they have additional data to better predict the next one.:smiley20:

Quite true.

I just get a kick out of the constant news coverage for something like this. It's almost like they're disappointed that the story wasn't bigger, so they have to run banners warning of killer 3 ft waves.:smiley13: