PDA

View Full Version : Tanks--Duhh

mrbeast1414
02-28-2010, 09:16
Hey you guys,

Right after you got certified, did you rent tanks for a while or buy them right away? Right now, I am renting as they are pretty cheap to rent, but I was wondering how long after your certification did you guys buy your own tank. I already have everything else. :smilie40:

snagel
02-28-2010, 10:34
I bought one tank pretty quick after certification. Figured, I would start buying my money back asap. Got 2nd tank, used for a good price later. Purchased 3rd tank at a "going out of business sale" also for a decent price.

Snagel

scubastud
02-28-2010, 10:47
Tanks last on my list. I will pick one or two up if I see good deal.
Way I figure, have to get em filled anyhew, and the cost of renting a filled tank and paying for a fill, the difference is minimal.
Now if you prefer another size than the basic AL80 , or prefer steel tanks, well that is different.

LeeParrish
02-28-2010, 11:01
Since I do most of my diving when I travel, buying a tank wouldn't do me much good since I wouldn't take it anyway. If I did more local diving I might consider it, but since I'd still need to take it to get filled I find it just as easy and only a couple bucks more to just rent one at the local lake. Only downside is if I am there when they aren't open, or want to stay past closing time, but that's pretty rare for me.

UCFKnightDiver
02-28-2010, 11:17
Tanks last on my list. I will pick one or two up if I see good deal.
Way I figure, have to get em filled anyhew, and the cost of renting a filled tank and paying for a fill, the difference is minimal.
Now if you prefer another size than the basic AL80 , or prefer steel tanks, well that is different.

But with a rented tank you have to return it as well.

I rented, then bought doubles, and then was given 2 tanks by one person, one of which I sold, and one which is sitting not being used, then I was given 3 AL80's and 1 steel 95 which were out of hydro and vip and I'm using those. All in all, I've spent around 675 on tanks, and the doubles were 600 of that.

Vercingetorix
02-28-2010, 12:26
I bought a tank three months after OW; just in time for AOW. It has paid for itself versus renting.

I rented, then bought doubles, and then was given 2 tanks by one person, one of which I sold, and one which is sitting not being used, then I was given 3 AL80's and 1 steel 95 which were out of hydro and vip and I'm using those. All in all, I've spent around 675 on tanks, and the doubles were 600 of that.Wow. You got the right friends. Nicely done, sir.

nrembis
02-28-2010, 12:45
I lucked out awhile back and bought 16 tanks for 640.00 all in hydro and vis from an LDS going outta business, so I figure was well worth it :)....shouldnt take me long to get my money back......I rented for a long time though

jbres1
02-28-2010, 12:46
I purchased tanks soon after the OW class.
You need to figure out the cost of rental vs. the cost of ownership.

Rental =
$10.00 to $15.00 per rental

Ownership=
cost of a cylinder- $150.00 ( just put in for the cost of an al80) if you buy used base the cost on $100.00
cost of annual VIS - $15.00 to $20.00
cost of hydro in 5 years $20.00 ($4.00 per year)

Figure out how often you will dive either renting or owning.
Figure in the value of going diving when you want and not having to worry about getting the cylinder back to the shop right away.

To me the value of ownership was an easy choice.
Jim Breslin

fisheater
02-28-2010, 12:47
I bought my first tank within a few months of certification.

It's hard to get steel tank rentals around here, so purchasing made sense for me, especially considering the extra trips for pickup and return.

FishFood
02-28-2010, 12:55
Ive done both. Bought a couple AL80s when I first started. If I needed more tanks, I just rented a couple from my LDS ($6). Meanwhile Ive watched Ebay and craigslist and picked up a couple more tanks on the cheap. Still waiting on a good deal for some steelies... :smilie40:

Rileybri
02-28-2010, 13:02
I have been collecting LP st72's and now have 4 and a pony. all in all I thin I have spent $150 on tanks in the two years I have had my cert. including viz and VIP's.........