PDA

View Full Version : NC Dive Season?

LeeParrish
02-28-2010, 11:09
I hope to be picking up a business trip to the Wilmington NC area in mid to late April and was hoping someone could give me some insights on the local area diving season and what might be available at around that time of the year. Also any recommendations for dive operators would be great, I'll be solo so I need to find a scheduled trip that I can join as I can't afford to charter a trip just for myself.

comet24
02-28-2010, 11:19
Aquatic Safaris, North Carolina Wreck Diving (http://www.aquaticsafaris.com/index.html)

Lulubelle
02-28-2010, 16:28
AS is a good op, what you might run into is them not having enough divers to go out. Spring weather is also quite variable here and many a dive is called in the spring. Here is another op who has a 6 pack. Friends have been out with him and have been happy.

Home (http://www.spearitcharters.com/)

I dive mainly out of Morehead, so that is about as much as I know for Wilmington.

LeeParrish
02-28-2010, 21:53
Thanks all for the info. I may see if the trip can be moved out a little later in the year when the weather settles down. I'd hate to fly out a couple days early and having weather issues and wouldn't be able to go diving.

Lulubelle
03-01-2010, 21:00
Thanks all for the info. I may see if the trip can be moved out a little later in the year when the weather settles down. I'd hate to fly out a couple days early and having weather issues and wouldn't be able to go diving.

LP, I hate to break it to you, but it doesn't settle down. It is just random. One day the sea is like glass, the next you might have 6 foot seas. You just can't count on going diving if you only plan one day. Last year loads of dives got called, but loads went too. And right about the time the spring storms stop...hurricane season starts. Don't get me wrong, we have a lot of beautiful diving weather here, but we are not in charge of when it happens.

LeeParrish
03-02-2010, 17:18
Thanks, and good point, it will be a roll of the dice any way I look at it. I may go ahead and see if I can arrange to bring my gear and come out a little early. I'm sure I can find something to do if I can't get out to dive.

Lulubelle
03-02-2010, 20:44
Thanks, and good point, it will be a roll of the dice any way I look at it. I may go ahead and see if I can arrange to bring my gear and come out a little early. I'm sure I can find something to do if I can't get out to dive.

Plenty to do in Wilmington (which is why I prefer Morehead as I am practicing not doing when I go there) and the beaches are very nice.

Now if I was you...I'd come out, plan a couple of days in Morehead, and a couple in Wilmington, THEN work.

chicken
03-03-2010, 16:54
Last year I tried six times before actually getting out on the boat in Morehead. The first day was glass, second day a little rough (even saw blue vomit), third day blown out. The diving was so good I am planning another week this June.

I tried January, February, April, May, June, and finally made it out in July. The key to the NC area is to plan a trip of several days. I was shooting for a weekend and it was tough.

Lulubelle
03-03-2010, 18:10
Last year I tried six times before actually getting out on the boat in Morehead. The first day was glass, second day a little rough (even saw blue vomit), third day blown out. The diving was so good I am planning another week this June.

I tried January, February, April, May, June, and finally made it out in July. The key to the NC area is to plan a trip of several days. I was shooting for a weekend and it was tough.

:smilie39:

It's not my fault that my dive buddy brought along BLUE gatorade. I think I forgot to take my bonine that day. At least I didn't whine about it.

chilly willy
03-03-2010, 18:17
Blew blue did you Lulu?:spit:

PACKRMAN
03-03-2010, 18:23
What would you expect from a Heels Fan:smilie39:

Lulubelle
03-03-2010, 20:02

That was the color of gatorade he handed me.

Good point Packrman.

PACKRMAN
03-04-2010, 06:37

That was the color of gatorade he handed me.

Good point Packrman.

Of course, if you had picked a good team they wouldn't make you puke :icondrool: