PDA

View Full Version : nose water?

chewyjr15
09-04-2007, 19:55
so im practicing wiht my gear in the pool, and im using an oceanic shaddow mask and it seals well but when i flood it and purge it there is a really small minute amount of water in the nose and it really bugs me how do i avoid this?

drdiver
09-04-2007, 20:02
You are diving in a large amount of water. Don't worry about a little amount of water. Get over it. Go diving.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-04-2007, 20:04
i always get a little water there too, dont worry about it.

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 20:06
It is something you just have to ignore and go on ...if you are diving alot ....there will be SOME water in the nose of your mask......it just happens...

Kidder
09-04-2007, 20:32
Yup just about every time I dive

chewyjr15
09-04-2007, 20:34
thanks guys

gtjason2000
09-05-2007, 08:33
My instructor told us how he saw someone clear their mask faster than anyone he had ever seen. It turned out the guy would snort the water up his nose!

Charlotte Smith
09-05-2007, 08:37
My instructor told us how he saw someone clear their mask faster than anyone he had ever seen. It turned out the guy would snort the water up his nose!
Saltwater would sure clear up the sinuses......I can't imagine doing that! I had to use an irrigation thingy to clear up a sinus infection once and it burned......he must be tough.

If it was freshwater might be easier...if you didn't get strangled...

No Misses
09-05-2007, 08:50
I have a mustache, so there is always water in my mask (no seal at the bottom). I got used to it pretty fast. I have had other people comment on the fact that my mask is sometimes 1/2 full of water. It really does not bother me. The only time that it does is when I am inverted and the water is pouring in from what used to be the bottom :-) Happy diving.

finflippers
09-05-2007, 09:01
Try tilting your head further back and make sure you are blowing out until after your mask is completely reseated and you should be able to completely clear your mask.

DiverBob
09-05-2007, 11:57

Oowww!! That has to burn in saltwater... :smiley5:

Not to mention the gnarly micro critters you are giving a nice place to die in your sinuses!! Yuck! :smiley11:

Foo2
09-05-2007, 12:11

Not to mention the gnarly micro critters you are giving a nice place to die in your sinuses!! Yuck! :smiley11:

That was exactly my thoughts! I'm sooooo grossed out right now!

Damselfish
09-06-2007, 01:39
Try tilting your head further back and make sure you are blowing out until after your mask is completely reseated and you should be able to completely clear your mask.
what they said...unless you have an really leaky mask you should be able to get it completely clear. Still want to be able to be comfortable with some water in there though, stuff happens.

divechaplain-sara
09-06-2007, 04:04
When I started diving that was one of the things that bothered me the most. I haven't noticed in the past couple of years, so either I'm not getting that little bit of water in my mask (doubtful) or I've gotten to the point that it doesn't bother me anymore.

danielh03
09-07-2007, 01:15
I would venture to say I am the only one in the forum that absolutly can not stand water in the nose, but as a diver you just deal with it. i have to agree with everyone else when they say FIDO (forget it, dive on).

Buoyant1
09-07-2007, 06:58
It's annoying, but not a horrible thing... there was a time where this bugged me, but it's just a part of it.

I forgot to "lube" my mustache once and I had it the whole dive, and it wasn't a huge problem...

Phestr
09-07-2007, 07:05
I also dive the Shadow, and about every 3rd dive I have the same problem. I thought it was just the mask, but since it fit better than any other, I ignored it. Looks like I'm no the only one!

Disneymom
09-07-2007, 10:42

Not to mention the gnarly micro critters you are giving a nice place to die in your sinuses!! Yuck! :smiley11:ewww that is disgusting. Hope it doesn't change jwdizney's mind about diving....
please, oh, please don't snort the seawater!

Judestudio
09-07-2007, 16:58
I had the same problem with my X-Vision Mid mask, just couldn't get that last bit of water out from the nose pocket, didn't bother me too much though. But then I got my hands round an X-Vision Liquidskin, it sealed perfectly around my face and no water in nose pocket anymore! I'm not saying Liquidskin is the solution for everyone, but worth a try if you can get a chance.

WV Diver
09-07-2007, 20:39
Two things to try here. First be sure that your mask strap in properly positioned on the back of your head at the widest point and that your mask is not too tight or loose, more loose is better than more tight.

Second, and this will probably fix your problem. When you exhale through your nose to purge the water don't blow out like you are trying to launch the space shuttle. I see alot of folks blowing way too hard. You only have to do it very gently and continue to do exhale until you have replace the mask and gotten a good seal. Also tilting the head back too far or not far enough can cause some of this. Experiment, if the mask is a good fit it should clear completely.

Good luck.

mdwestgrl
09-12-2007, 21:15
I second the above, blow out a little more gently and it should help. I for one hate having any water at all in my mask so I know how you feel, I have a mask that fits me very well but can never get every drop out, there is always a little bit in the nose of my mask. So unfortunately you will probably just have to deal with it.