PDA

View Full Version : DIR setup, why does it go there? Posers beware!

frankc420
07-12-2007, 22:04
I've recently sold my jacket style BC and went with a BP/W. As I was putting it together I felt that a lot of the configuration instructions didn't make a lot of sense. Example, the knife, why would you put it on the left? Especially if your right handed...

I can see why you would put your lap buckle on the left strap, but why does the buckle go on the right side of your body? (going through the crotch strap)

As I was assembling my Drings, they are slightly bend at the side that goes under the strap, I set them up to be FLAT against the strap, but an instructor told me I had it on wrong that it's supposed to stick out... Why? Doesn't this defeat the 'streamline' concept?

I'm the type of person that wants to know the reasons behind things that I don't fully understand, so that I CAN fully understand!

frankc420
07-12-2007, 22:05
Btw, I have no idea how that posers beware got in the title, I think my computer was hax0red...

Joew
07-12-2007, 22:23
I am not DIR, so if my response is wrong someone please correct me. The knife is on the left side so that the buckle will hold the sheath in place. It should, however, be in a position where it can be reached with either hand. The buckle is off to the right so that it can hold a can light in place. Many people use a second buckle to hold the light in place, especially if they need to doff/don off their rig in the water. Also, having the buckle to the right distinguishes it from a weight belt buckle, which should be centered or slightly to the left. The shoulder d-rings are bent and should stick out. This doesn't really add any drag or entanglement risk, and makes it much easier to clip things off.

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 02:24
Joew pretty much nailed it.

Except the buckle thing. Buckle it where you want, and usually to the left of the crotch strap. The buckle to the right is for the canister light, not the waist belt.

At this level, you can tell the difference between a weight belt and a harness. And the weight belt is kept UNDER the other straps, so un-doing the wrong one isn't going to cause a problem... if one is going, they both are, generally. You DON'T want to lose a weight belt in a cave or deep with a deco obligation, so the usual warnings about ditchable weight in recreational diving don't necessarily apply in the same way.

Much of this is detailed in the Dress for Success book.

frankc420
07-13-2007, 07:31
Well, I did purchase two XS scuba weight pouches, I'm going to either put them on a cam strap or somewhere on my waist strap...

What would be the best choice?

cummings66
07-13-2007, 08:30
http://www.baue.org/faq/backplate_sizing.php?PHPSESSID=08ec93e14df54cdb4ea e652352c8ced9
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The buckle should be off to the right side, not to the left. Here's a picture as well as the link.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.baue.org/images/equip/waiststrapheight.jpg?PHPSESSID=08ec93e14df54cdb4ea e652352c8ced9</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.baue.org/images/equip/crotchlength.jpg?PHPSESSID=08ec93e14df54cdb4eae652 352c8ced9</DIV>

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 10:52
That's an old article. No one I know does it that way anymore.

cummings66
07-13-2007, 11:58
In my neck of the woods they all do. I wonder, could be a regional thing. Got a new link?

cummings66
07-13-2007, 12:15
OK, then. How about this webpage?
<DIV>http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html (http://www.gue.com/Equipment/C&#111;nfig/index.html)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>I don't think it's a big deal, but from what I can tell to be DIR means standardization and from the GUE site you see the thing is on the right hand side, not to mention they tell you it's placed to the right of the crotch strap.</DIV></DIV>

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 12:45
It's these sort of discussions that give DIR divers a bad name. LOL

Hey, we're neck-and-neck at 94 posts! I've got some work to do! smileys/smiley17.gif

frankc420
07-13-2007, 12:48
You guys in a race for the first $50 winner? :P

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 12:53
Well, I do need a new backup mask, and that $10 isn't going to get me all the way there!

(I like to think I have something to contribute, however)

cummings66
07-13-2007, 13:14
I'm just pointing out that he asked a dir config question and I gave the answer based on the GUE website, what can be more DIR than an answer straight from their pages?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>As I said, I don't honestly care one way or another, but the DIR answer is from their own page and not mine. Like it or not, that's how it is.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>People have got to understand DIR, it's a team concept, everything is standardized, same locations for almost everything and the same training. You can dive with a complete stranger and know his release is on the right side because that's the standard. You know his knife is right there by the crotch strap, etc.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That's the system, the concept. Teamwork and knowing each others gear config like it was your own.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm a nice guy, honest I am.</DIV>

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 13:48
I'm just pointing out that he asked a dir config question and I gave the answer based on the GUE website, what can be more DIR than an answer straight from their pages?
<div></div>
<div>As I said, I don't honestly care one way or another, but the DIR answer is from their own page and not mine. Like it or not, that's how it is.</div>
<div></div>
<div>People have got to understand DIR, it's a team concept, everything is standardized, same locations for almost everything and the same training. You can dive with a complete stranger and know his release is on the right side because that's the standard. You know his knife is right there by the crotch strap, etc.</div>
<div></div>
<div>That's the system, the concept. Teamwork and knowing each others gear config like it was your own.</div>
<div></div>
<div>I'm a nice guy, honest I am.
No arguments, there, you are 100% correct in your response, based on the available online materials. I'll have to ask my Fundies instructor (MHK) his take on the waist strap buckle issue when I start in Sept. There are certain elements that tend to be individual in nature, regardless of what the books say, as long as they don't actually affect the team and everyone is on board with it. (For instance, the use of a crushed neo drysuit instead of the officially-approved TLS350-type).

I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk, I'm just trying to answer questions based on my experience... I'm a nice guy, too... honest! :)
</div>

cummings66
07-13-2007, 15:48
To be honest, the stated reason to me doesn't make sense, it's to protect it from accidentally being opened by the crotch strap. Now if you mount it to the left there is no way on Earth it could ever be opened accidentally because the latch is on the other side.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I get that it's out of reach over there, and that it can also serve to anchor the can thus one part serving 2 functions, thus minimalist in concept.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'd love to hear the MHK answer, if anybody could explain why they put it there it'd be him.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In fact you should feel honored to have him instruct you.</DIV>