PDA

View Full Version : Nylon webbing repair

kac215
03-07-2010, 14:50
Does anyone know who I should turn too (alteration shop, shoe repair shop, etc.) for sewing a 1" piece of nylon to a 2" piece of nylon. I need to make a repair to a Dive-Rite harness. Furthermore, what thread should I ask them to use?

Panmanmatt
03-07-2010, 15:03
You should be able to just get a piece of 2" webbing and replace the damaged piece.

If you want to go the repair route, look into canvas repair shops, they usually have the heavy gauge needles needed to get through the webbing. They should be able to match the appropriate size thread.

kac215
03-07-2010, 15:42
You should be able to just get a piece of 2" webbing and replace the damaged piece.

I have the webbing, It is a Deluxe Harness and has some parts that are sewn together that needs repairing because I cut the waste strap too short. I can use it but I just want it longer; I think I gained some winter weight. I could just use the 15 feet of webbing I bought and go with a traditional harness but I like the Deluxe Harness. Thanks, will look for a Canvas Repair Shop Monday.

fisheater
03-07-2010, 16:51
I've used local cobblers for heavy duty stiching on nylon webbing.

IrishSquid
03-07-2010, 17:17
I've used local cobblers for heavy duty stiching on nylon webbing.
Same here. I use the same alteration shop that sews patches on my leathers.

kac215
03-07-2010, 19:25
Cobbler-noun, shoemaker

Once I looked up the definition I realized that I was thinking the same thing. Thanks guys.

ScubaToys Larry
03-07-2010, 19:46
Automotive upholstery shops can do it too... I had one here in town do a lot of sewing for us.

kac215
03-08-2010, 10:37
Larry, what kind of thread did you have them use?

ScubaToys Larry
03-08-2010, 10:43
They had some nylon type stuff... very tough and waterproof. Just tell them what you're doing, and they'll probably know what will work best that they have.

BSea
03-08-2010, 10:45
I've done my own. It's pretty tedious, but it can be done. Get yourself some upholstery needles, and a pair of pliers. It also helps to to use super glue to glue the webbing in place to start. The glue is only to keep things in place till you get done sewing. I used clear fishing line for mine. You'll have to use the pliers to push & pull the needle. It's not that bad if it's just a small repair. I did a complete deluxe style harness doing this. It took me about 10 hours. But that was while watching TV at night over a couple of weeks.

EODiver
03-10-2010, 20:43
Don't use cotton, it deteriorates very quickly when constantly wet. Polyester doesn't like UV or chlorine. Use nylon (not nylon coated) thread and a heavy duty machine or hand sewn. If you hand sew, do yourself a favor and use an upholstery awl and watch a couple of youtube videos about lock stitches. It's not that difficult, but any sail maker or awning manufacture should be able to do it in a few minutes.

CompuDude
03-16-2010, 00:54
I've done my own. It's pretty tedious, but it can be done. Get yourself some upholstery needles, and a pair of pliers. It also helps to to use super glue to glue the webbing in place to start. The glue is only to keep things in place till you get done sewing. I used clear fishing line for mine. You'll have to use the pliers to push & pull the needle. It's not that bad if it's just a small repair. I did a complete deluxe style harness doing this. It took me about 10 hours. But that was while watching TV at night over a couple of weeks.

This will work.

But it's a lot easier to hand the guy at the shoe repair shop $2 and let him use the heavy duty machines. :smiley20:

BSea
03-16-2010, 10:07

This will work.

But it's a lot easier to hand the guy at the shoe repair shop $2 and let him use the heavy duty machines. :smiley20:If I'd known going in how long it would take, I'd have done it the way you suggested. But it didn't seem like it would be as labor intensive as it worked out to be.

However, the only place I asked was going to charge me a minimum of $15 (might have been more, he wasn't sure). So that's why I did it myself. Sure, for $2 it's a no-brainer.

Next time (if there is a next time) I'll do some more shopping for a cheaper upholstery shop.

cgvmer
03-25-2010, 13:50
I have used the local shoemaker (cobbler)

CompuDude
03-25-2010, 14:37

This will work.

But it's a lot easier to hand the guy at the shoe repair shop $2 and let him use the heavy duty machines. :smiley20:If I'd known going in how long it would take, I'd have done it the way you suggested. But it didn't seem like it would be as labor intensive as it worked out to be.

However, the only place I asked was going to charge me a minimum of $15 (might have been more, he wasn't sure). So that's why I did it myself. Sure, for $2 it's a no-brainer.

Next time (if there is a next time) I'll do some more shopping for a cheaper upholstery shop.

Yeah. I got an absurd "minimum price" estimate like that in an upscale show repair place in a fancy mall once. I don't go there anymore, even if it's convenient. Gotta find the little shop run by some old Russian dude, sitting there watching TV through the static on a little black and white 13" CRT television in the corner. LOL

mcr0112
03-29-2010, 04:14
I sew leather with a hand unit available at Tandy leather. I have repaired nylon straps with it. Takes a little practice but it works. I wear a holster every day ( two years) that I sewed up with kelvar thread. But the cobbler, tarp, or auto upolstery shop is easier & quicker.

naplestreasures
11-20-2010, 17:10
A cobler shop should be perfect for that. They sew leather shoes.