PDA

View Full Version : Emergengy Situations to Practice in Pool?

JipThePeople
09-04-2007, 22:31
Me and a dive buddy (both of us are certified) are looking to practice some emergency situations in the pool. Any recommendations on skills to practice in such an environment other than the usual breathing without a mask, removing bc and puting back on, etc. We are talking about out of air situations where your last breath is not a full one but an unexpected low amount and you are located a given distance from your buddy. I know, that good diving habits dictate that you remain very close to your buddy but we are wanting to simulate some difficult situations.

Given a full breath, I'm sure I could hold my breathe comfortably for 30-45 seconds, but inhaling and getting nothing (equipment malfunction for example) is something that could happen to anyone in any dive situation so we want to be prepared.

I have always pondered the scenario where you exhale and expect another normal breath but something prevents you from getting the next breath. This truly is worst case because not only are you out of air, but you have very little in your lungs to exhale in the event you had to perform an emergency acent.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

techgnostic
09-04-2007, 22:50
Once you run those scenarios, run them again, with eyes closed or mask off, to simulate low/no light. Unless of course the pool management will allow you to dump several tons of silt into the water before you start. You should also be familiar with dumping your buddy's weight by feel, and practice surface towing methods, and swimming assists, once you get some rescue training. It's good idea to take the rescue class, regardless of whether you expect to be in charge of an emergency situation. You can be your own first responder.

ScubaGir1
09-04-2007, 22:57
Well, one thing my OW instructor did with is underwater in the pool was:
We all got in a circle facing each other, then he'd randomly swim behind the students and turn off the air and you would have to buddy breath. I was a little nervous with it, but it actually wasn't that bad, it was nice to know exactly how it would feel/be like if I did run completely out of air.

You could also practice dragging each other, you know, unconscious diver, diver with a cramp, etc.

cudachaser
09-05-2007, 08:05
I would also practice a simulated failed BC at the surface (won't inflate)

Joe

Xspect
09-05-2007, 11:54
How about taking a stress and rescue course

Hollywood703
09-05-2007, 12:14
i have used the turn off air and simulate OOA. it gives the students a good feel of what it feels like, and what to expect. Also, making them turn it back on.....I make them do a single reg buddy breathe the length of the pool (very Slow) (simulating ascent). I like to do object recovery off the bottom......using blacked out mask....the have to recover an object in close proximity to them (lost mask etc)

JipThePeople
09-06-2007, 17:20
Thanks for all the great feedback!

cudachaser
09-06-2007, 18:32
See my title

i have used the turn off air and simulate OOA. it gives the students a good feel of what it feels like, and what to expect. Also, making them turn it back on.....I make them do a single reg buddy breathe the length of the pool (very Slow) (simulating ascent). I like to do object recovery off the bottom......using blacked out mask....the have to recover an object in close proximity to them (lost mask etc)

ianr33
09-06-2007, 19:14
Stuck on BC inflator. Press inflate button to simulate
Swimming with one fin (cross feet at ankles)

skdvr
09-06-2007, 19:20
Freeflowing reg is a good one to practice in the pool as well...

Phil