PDA

View Full Version : California Lobster

Beefcake
03-09-2010, 23:16
I am sort of in need of a road trip... I just looked up Cali's lobster regs, and it looks like the season is open until next Wednesday. However, I've heard that they are generally deep and scattered this late in the season. I've also heard that they are only likely to be found at night. I don't have night diving experience, and I'm not sure my boat is up for ocean use right now (dealing with some mechanical issues). What are the chances of successfully shore-diving for them during the day right now? How far south would I have to go? Any help will be appreciated so that I can decide between driving south or heading up to Puget Sound.

cmburch
03-12-2010, 09:29
Yes, Lobster season ends March 16, 2010. Need to go south of Santa Barbara County with San Diego County being one of the best areas and the Channel Islands.

Abalone opens April 1, 2010 north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Mendocino County is not that far away.

Obviously it is best to come when the season first opens for lobster in October. They are at shallower depths near shore then.

California Department of Fish & Game, Marine Region, Invertebrate Management Project: California Spiny Lobster Work Products (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/invertebrate/wp_lobster.asp)

At night, I have seen lobsters walk in line across open areas. It is interesting to see. Since they come out of their holes at night to eat, it is much easier spotting and taking them. They move deeper now. You would have more of a chance at 85'+.

Beefcake
03-12-2010, 22:34
Yes, Lobster season ends March 16, 2010. Need to go south of Santa Barbara County with San Diego County being one of the best areas and the Channel Islands.

Abalone opens April 1, 2010 north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Mendocino County is not that far away.

Obviously it is best to come when the season first opens for lobster in October. They are at shallower depths near shore then.

California Department of Fish & Game, Marine Region, Invertebrate Management Project: California Spiny Lobster Work Products (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/invertebrate/wp_lobster.asp)

At night, I have seen lobsters walk in line across open areas. It is interesting to see. Since they come out of their holes at night to eat, it is much easier spotting and taking them. They move deeper now. You would have more of a chance at 85'+.
Thanks for the info. I don't think I can get down there this week after all, so I'll have to plan for October. This is definitely on my bucket list.