PDA

View Full Version : Experience booking Coz thru Orbitz?

Skinsfan1311
03-14-2010, 11:04
While searching on Orbitz, and utilizing the entertain200 coupon code, I found some fantastic rates on the air+hotel for the Wyndham resorts.
~$700.00pp for a week.

I'd appreciate any feedback from folks who've used Orbitz to book travel & accomodations to Cozumel.

Thanks!

rayaa3
03-14-2010, 13:36
Orbitz is great, as is the promo code you mentioned. Not really sure what kind of feedback you are looking for, but I've gone several times booking with orbitz, and in combination with the promocode, I can never find a better deal anyplace else.

It is worth mentioning that the resort you mention has an onsite dive operator. If you choose to go with a different dive operator, and they pick you up from the hotel boat pier (common practice in cozumel) you will be charged a small amount per person for using the pier (I think it's $2 per person, per day). It's common for dive ops to pickup from hotel piers, however, there's only about 5 hotels on the island that charge the pickup fee. It may not be a big deal to you, but though you'de like to know. I've never stayed there myself, so can't comment on the resort. The pier fee I've heard about from many other threads (you can do a little searchign and find them easy enough).

My only advice for orbitz: when you book with orbitz they automatically want to include your roundtrip airport/hotel transfers. This can be convenient for some. Personally I like to remove it, and pay for a transfer using the van at the airport. The fee varies by hotel, but I believe for the far southern hotels (like the one you mention) it was ~$9 per person to catch the van. On your way back, you can simply catch a cab, which is ~$20 from the far southern resorts. The cab fair is valid for the first 3 occupants, if you have a larger group, expect to pay more.

Anyways - never had a problem with orbitz themselves.

Hope this helps you.

Defman
03-14-2010, 14:03
Used them for that exact reason about a month ago, doing 7 nights in CZM in mid-April. Orbitz has been around long enough that they probably would have died by now if they sucked, so I guess that bodes well for them.

scubagirlj
03-14-2010, 15:13
watch out for the wyndham in coz- we stayed there a year ago nov and it was AWEFUL! i have had better food and more selection at a high school cafeteria-we stayed in the sabor(adult) section-room and grounds were lovely but that was it-staff was rude and unattentive, LOUD music until midnight by pool where there were no guests, just staff-drinks were weak and hard to get waited on even though there was no one else at bar(yes we do tip very well but it made no difference)-DO runs an AM & PM trip both about 45 mins BT, better off with outside DO as mentioned above-we did stay at the Occidental at Xcaret and it was fantastic, maybe think about going to the one in coz

Zeagle Eagle
03-14-2010, 17:06
While searching on Orbitz, and utilizing the entertain200 coupon code, I found some fantastic rates on the air+hotel for the Wyndham resorts.
~$700.00pp for a week.

I'd appreciate any feedback from folks who've used Orbitz to book travel & accomodations to Cozumel.

Thanks!
Orbitz is fine I have used them before and they usually get me a pretty good deal.

The Wyndham is nice; but, I have heard mixed reviews on their staff and their food (rude staff, bland food, weak drinks).

I can usually beat Orbitz's best deal in Coz with a discount they give us at the Casa Del Mar. It used to be $65 bucks a night plus taxes. I call them direct at the 800 number (google Cozumel Casa Del Mar) and tell them I am associated with Scuba Toys (what?). Del Mar Aquatics Scuba across the street also gives me a discount. Take the bus/van to the hotel just outside the airport baggage area and a taxi back to the airport.

Casa Del Mar is mostly scuba divers and fairly laid back. I don't do the all inclusive because we usually go into town for meals. I think the all inclusive adds $34 bucks per day. The food is okay to good, mostly buffet style and the service is good.

No in room wireless but they do have it in the lobby. They have a private beach also.

The Casa Del Mar is not on par with the amenities at the Wyndham but I go to dive and don't need the extras.

Del Mar Aquatics next to the beach loves Scuba Toys folks.You can store your gear in small lockers so you don't have to lug it to the boat everyday. Make sure and take a small lock with you to secure your gear although I have never had any problems when I didn't. I have been using them for 20 years now and they always treat me like a king. If you have anymore questions PM me.

Soonerwink
03-14-2010, 17:58
I used the coupon code to book the Park Royal in June. I was going to book the Wyndham, but we stayed at PR last year and my wife liked it so well she thought it would be worth the little extra to stay there again.

Diver Kat
03-14-2010, 18:07
I'm at the Fiesta Americana right now - 4th time - using the Orbitz code. We use it for hotel & car, rather than hotel & airfare. Deals have always been great. This trip was $78 a night - taxes included - for the hotel & car. Never any problems with Orbitz so far.

Skinsfan1311
03-14-2010, 20:28
Thanks everyone!!

mcr0112
03-15-2010, 01:46
Never used Orbitz for Coz but used them alot for air & car when traveling inside the US. Never had a problem with it. Have agreat time

scubarobin
03-15-2010, 08:58
never used Orbitz, always used Expedia or booked everything separately on my own (hotel, diving).
our next trip we booked airfare on Expedia, then booked Scuba Club through Island Dreams Travel scuba diving vacations, cozumel scuba diving, dive travel, dive resorts, diving trips (http://www.divetrip.com) as SCC is only booked by dive travel agencies. We really liked it last year so we are doing it again (our 7th trip to Cozumel)

robin

Skinsfan1311
03-15-2010, 09:39
never used Orbitz, always used Expedia or booked everything separately on my own (hotel, diving).
our next trip we booked airfare on Expedia, then booked Scuba Club through Island Dreams Travel scuba diving vacations, cozumel scuba diving, dive travel, dive resorts, diving trips (http://www.divetrip.com) as SCC is only booked by dive travel agencies. We really liked it last year so we are doing it again (our 7th trip to Cozumel)

robin

If it was just divers going, the Scuba Club would be the way to go. Unfortunately, we're outnumbered.

BubblesMcCoy
03-15-2010, 16:44
Just got back from a trip to Playa Del Carmen (just south of Coz) that we booked through Orbitz. Orbitz as usual was pretty easy, nothing against Expedia but Orbitz was a tiny bit less expensive.

We didn't book the airport transfer through Orbitz as it was way expensive. We intended to use the ADO bus, but bargained a decent price from a van operator. Was about $80 cheaper than what orbitz had quoted.

The prices for the excursions did not have as much of a mark up, but we booked through the hotel concierge simply to keep our options more flexible. Worked out great. Would definitely use Orbitz or even Expedia in the future.

Zeagle Eagle
03-15-2010, 21:06
I'm at the Fiesta Americana right now - 4th time - using the Orbitz code. We use it for hotel & car, rather than hotel & airfare. Deals have always been great. This trip was $78 a night - taxes included - for the hotel & car. Never any problems with Orbitz so far.
That's a good deal!

Soonerwink
03-15-2010, 22:27
We didn't book the airport transfer through Orbitz as it was way expensive.
I have found that if you purchase the transfers through your booking agent it is always much more expensive. Orbitz wanted to charge us 70.00. If I remember correctly, it only cost us 18.00 purchasing a ticket at the airport. There is a counter in the airport. Their are several venders trying to sell you their transfers at the airport, ignore them and go to the transfer counter. Going back to the airport just use a taxi, it is even cheaper. They are not allowed to pick you up at the airport, but they can drop you off.

scubarobin
03-16-2010, 09:24

robin

If it was just divers going, the Scuba Club would be the way to go. Unfortunately, we're outnumbered.

yeah, I totally understand that. When we were there a few guys had wives who didn't dive and they were perfectly happy to hang out at pool, go shopping, etc on their own since town is so close. But not everyone would want to do that as there really isn't much else to do there but sun or snorkel. It is walking distance to town which I like, so closer to activities on mainland. So its just a matter of what the non-divers want to do during the day....

robin

Skinsfan1311
03-16-2010, 09:51
We just booked, (using the Orbitz code:smiley20:) to book airfare and hotel, out of BWI, for $766.00 pp. That's for a "pool terrace" room at the Sabor.

I'm quite happy with the price. Airfare alone is typically around $350.00, so we're getting the AI room at around $60.00pp per night.

Orbitz was cheaper then a TA, Travelocity and the Wyndham directly. It may not be the best deal, but it's good enough for us!

Thanks, everyone, for your help!