PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Sask Canada

larry pigeon
03-14-2010, 14:58
This is my fist time on a forum but I've been reading some of your every good advice and info.on all kinds of dive sites,gear,and the like.I recently received my resue diver cert.and would dearly love to continue on to dive instructor.As of all of you diving has become a major passion of mine.The problem I'm having though is that I'm extreamly alergic to neoprene(sick).I've tried skins and rash guards ,under a wetsuit to no avail.I still got a rash ,but not as bad. If anyone out there knows of a non-neoprene wetsuit,please pass that info this way.it will be greatly appreciated.thanks for the help.

sincerely,
Larry

GDC
03-14-2010, 18:03
Welcome Larry gald to have you on board

John Yaskowich
03-15-2010, 09:50
Welcome. I hope you find us to be a great bunch of enthusiastic divers.

You might want to post about your neoprene allergy to the Wetsuits sub-forum where it will get greater visibilty.

Daved
03-15-2010, 17:18
Rider Pride!!
just dive warm water--27c or above--no neoprene needed!

Vercingetorix
03-15-2010, 18:16
welcome to our happy little hovel

Tom H
03-17-2010, 20:33
Rider Pride!!
just dive warm water--27c or above--no neoprene needed!

Guess that means stay out of Last Mountain Lake in April... Seriously, welcome aboard. I lived a year in Regina 30 years ago. Not the best place for local diving, no?

Sask Diver
03-18-2010, 06:38
Hi Larry
Welcome aboard, if you get your alergy problem sorted out, maybe well see you out at white swan this summer.

scubadiver888
03-20-2010, 22:49
Larry, consider using a drysuit. You can get them in a variety of different styles. Obviously the crushed neoprene drysuit is not going to work for you but you might be able to find a membrane drysuit with an inner shell not rubber, latex or neoprene.

However, I'm not sure if you can find anything with neck and wrist seals that will not irritate your skin. Companies like Apollo (http://www.apollosportsusa.com) have drysuit seals which are latex free but they might be neoprene. I'm assuming if you are allergic to neoprene you are also allergic to latex and rubber.

Talk to your local dive shops and see if they can source out a membrane drysuit with allergy free seals. You might have to get the drysuit from one company and the seals from another.

P.S. how severe are your allergies? Exposure to neoprene will probably make them worse. If they can cause respiratory issues, this might be life threatening for diving.