PDA

View Full Version : Headed to St. Croix May 1 - 8, 2010!

Rorschach
03-14-2010, 17:54
We're headed to St. Croix for our 4th trip there the first week of May. This was the one and only Sat. to Sat. itinerary to St. Croix on Delta for only 35,000 FF miles each I found last year, so I booked it! Now after the NWA merger the whole FF use thing has gotten a lot poorer . . .

Anyway, I'm sure we'll meet the Cane Bay Dive Shop crew again (like our last 3 trips). This time we're staying at 2Dive4.

Mitsuguy, we'll ask for you when we get there for local advice! Also, it looks like the bar & grill next to your shop is open again, is that correct? It was closed last year when we were there.

Here's a link to our 2009 St. Croix trip report.

St. Croix March 28 - April 4, 2009 Trip Report - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/303582-st-croix-march-28-april-4-2009-trip-report.html)

mitsuguy
03-15-2010, 04:20
We're headed to St. Croix for our 4th trip there the first week of May. This was the one and only Sat. to Sat. itinerary to St. Croix on Delta for only 35,000 FF miles each I found last year, so I booked it! Now after the NWA merger the whole FF use thing has gotten a lot poorer . . .

Anyway, I'm sure we'll meet the Cane Bay Dive Shop crew again (like our last 3 trips). This time we're staying at 2Dive4.

Mitsuguy, we'll ask for you when we get there for local advice! Also, it looks like the bar & grill next to your shop is open again, is that correct? It was closed last year when we were there.

Here's a link to our 2009 St. Croix trip report.

St. Croix March 28 - April 4, 2009 Trip Report - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/303582-st-croix-march-28-april-4-2009-trip-report.html)

That's a great place to stay! Great location, beautiful house too! The restaurant is back up and running eat at cane bay (http://www.eatatcanebay.com) It's different than before, but awesome!

If you need any info, please let me know, I'm always more than happy to help!

Can't wait to meet you guys! (Although I'd like to say I talked with you before, I just can't put a face to it)

You all should try some of the boat dives. As much as I love Cane Bay, there are some amazing things to see from the boat as well. Salt River, Vertigo and Ham's Bluff are just awesome, and the wrecks are pretty cool too...

Rorschach
03-21-2010, 14:28
Can't wait to meet you guys! (Although I'd like to say I talked with you before, I just can't put a face to it)...

hrmph! Not surprising given my username here . . . but you can follow the link to that other scuba forum and see some pics of me.

I'd like to say I could put a face with your name as well, but I don't think we crossed paths last year. I'm pretty bad with names but the only male employee we ran across at the shop last year was Max. I definitely remember the female captain, and two female dive guides, one blond, one redhead, and everyone had a great sense of humor and we had a lot of fun.

On our 2009 trip we did independant buddy team shore diving only, except for the night dive at the pier. I was the guy requesting the only 100 ft3 capacity aluminum cylinder available and teaching the folks there the 100 ft3 capacity aluminum cylinder requires a fill pressure of 3300 PSIG to get 100 ft3 of air available, stamped on the tank shoulder . . . we did a 94 minute night dive at the Fredrickstead pier and the ladies were freezing in 3mm wetsuits while I was in my 0.5 mm wetsuit telling them I still had air left, and we could have gone even longer if the tank had been filled to 3300 PSIG.

We also visited in 2006, and in 2002, our first visit when Derrick at N2theBlue was working at Cane Bay and he and Anne both were single but obviously simultaneously smitten.

Nice to know the bar & grill are open again, this should reduce concerns for vehicle security when doing dusk / early evening dives at Cane Bay. The place and parking area will be well lit and watched to some degree even after the dive shop closes for the day.

Rorschach
03-21-2010, 14:38
Forgot to ask - y'all still using an oil-free compressor (Rix IIRC) for all fills with a continuous blend system for Nitrox?

What's the cost for a Nitrox fill and what O2 %'s are available (might look for some 28% to 30% O2 range mix this trip)?

Also forgot to mention - one of the two owners of D&D is an old Jr. High & High School buddy of mine.

D&D Studio - Fine Art Photography (http://www.ddstudio.us/featuredartists.html)

mitsuguy
03-22-2010, 01:16
Oh, nope, just realized, you were here just prior to us arriving... Pretty much everyone you remember is gone except Lisa (blonde Instructor)...

No oil free compressor here - it's a standard compressor, but everything we fill is O2 compatible air, the thing essentially uses vegetable oil for lubrication, plus the filters we use... - we just do partial pressure blends, which is perfect for custom mixes like you want, of which we can do anything from 21-100% on request, but anything more than 75% is a huge PITA... :) Fills in the 21-50% range are $10... Unfortunately, O2 is expensive here... We'd do Trimix too, but it is way expensive, both gases are double to triple what you can get them for in the states...

and yes, the parking lot is always well lit now, as well as being busy until at least 9, sometimes much later... We have two of those 100's now (pretty sure we would have around that time too), but if you are doing 90+ minutes at the pier with 88 cu ft of air, are you sure you need the 100? I'm like you - I've only worn my wetsuit a handful of times, and others are in 3 and 5 mil full suits and still cold... ITS 80 IN THE WATER!

oh, and we're still a pretty comical bunch, probably more so than last time I would imagine...

Rorschach
03-23-2010, 12:46
No problem, sounds like you're plenty flexible. There was a Rix and continuous blend system we saw in 2002, and I never looked again after that, just asked about air quality and last test cert.

I'm sure Lisa will remember us from last year. I forgot my mask and had to go back to our villa to get it on our last diving day there so it was me who was dingy (not like the boat) . . . that should jog her memory.

Some EAN28 would be nice for a first dive of the day down to the 130 FSW range on some days, and some EAN36 to EAN38 or so might be nice for extending EAD for some repetitive dusk and / or night dives there. We'll use the tanks provided at 2dive4 for air dives (like F'stead pier) filled at your shop since that's all part of the 2dive4 package. Last year all we used was O2 compatible air from your shop. Just nice to know what the available options are.

You'll enjoy meeting my good-looking dive buddy who sips air like a hummingbird while she uses her U/W camera. She still had 850 PSIG left in her standard aluminum 80 when we ended our F'stead pier dive. I just couldn't help but make a small Y chromosome jab as my wife's and our dive guide's teeth were chattering in their 3 mil full wetsuits. Water temp was 78 degrees F that night, it was 77 to 78 last year when we were there, first week of April.

This is partly why we're primarily independent buddy team shore divers these days. We like to take our time with 2 to 3 dives a day, sometimes 1 or zero on a given day, going at our own pace, instead of making 4 to 5 dives a day. Just a to each their own thing.

No need for helium, we're not trained or certified for helium mixes. Our top certs are ANDI TSD-3, we planned a trip to Bikini Atoll and agreed having the appropriate training first made sense. Never got to Bikini (and probably never will now) but it was fun doing our (beginner) tech cert dives on Grand Cayman as shore dives along the wall by the old turtle farm, shortly after sea swells had lifted most of the turtles out of the farm due to a tropical weather system. They were everywhere each time we dove!

longtailbda
03-23-2010, 20:06
We'll be leaving just before you arrive.

Rorschach
03-24-2010, 12:09
Hope y'all have a great, safe trip longtailbda!

If you do any 'back yard' diving and have time to leave a quick note on how it went, we'd appreciate it.

longtailbda
04-05-2010, 10:44
Hope y'all have a great, safe trip longtailbda!

If you do any 'back yard' diving and have time to leave a quick note on how it went, we'd appreciate it.
We're scedualed for 6 boats dives we're taking another couple so we'll spend a little more time onshore than usual. I'm hoping to sneak off and do another 14 or so shore dives:smiley2:. Will keep you informed.

Rorschach
04-18-2010, 05:33
Well, we decided 1 week on St. Croix was too short, but we couldn't swing 2 weeks since the next renter in the 2dive4 accomodations was arriving May 14, so we split the difference. Dave & Susan Mickley who own 2dive4 have been an absolute pleasure to do business with.

We'll now be on St. Croix May 1 - May 12, 2010. Airfare change via Delta was $100 per person and additional 7,500 Delta FF miles per person. Not shabby.

It also looks like the Nissan Frontier extended cab pickup I reserved via Budget when we made our intial reservations in July 2009 has been upgraded to a crew cab Dodge Dakota pickup truck. I get the same prior guaranteed rate for May 1 - 8 but have to pay the new per day rate May 9 - 12. Also kind of splitting the difference.

scubagirlj
04-18-2010, 13:47
how did you get to go for 7500 ff miles r/t? i was in the 25-35000 range-and i have over 100,000

Rorschach
04-18-2010, 16:22
Our original itinerary was booked for May 1 - May 8, 2010 in July 2009 @ 35,000 FF miles each, and was the only such itinerary on the Delta FF calendar for Satuday departure in all of 2010 for only 35,000 FF miles per person when booked in July 2009.

Changing the booking yesterday to depart May 12, 2010 instead of May 8, 2010 cost an additional 7,500 FF miles per person plus $100 cash per person.

I had over 100,000 Skymiles both when I booked the trip and when I changed the itinerary - now I have 92,000 or so left.

If you haven't seen what the latest rules are on Delta FF miles, it's WAY different than before the merger with NWA - basically each FF mile is worth a penny, but there are still occassions when you can't use FF miles at all.

Pay with Miles (http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_miles/pay_miles/index.jsp)

If our original May 1 - May 8 itinerary hadn't been booked under the prior Delta FF mile program, we probably wouldn't have been able to make the change for only 7,500 additional FF miles each plus $100 cash each.

If you look right now, you can book Delta round trip May 1, 2010 departing New orleans and May 12, 2010 departing St. Croix for just over $400 per person plus cash fees, so it's about the same as 42,500 FF miles each.

We kept exit row seats on all 4 flights even with the itinerary change!