PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Northern California.

sihing_steve
03-15-2010, 12:14
Hey all,

Just droppin by to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Steve and I'm a "newly" PADI certified diver. I finished my cert in Sept 09, but have yet to go on a "real" dive trip.

Outside of diving I teach Kung Fu and Escrima, ride a Suzuki SV650s motorcycle, and work for a dive equipment company. Our company's name is "Affinity Devices" and we manufacture the "Buddy-Link" underwater communicator.

Buddy-Link: Connecting Divers... In the Blink Of An Eye (http://www.affinitydevices.com)

Drop me a line if you are ever in Northern California!

oniell121
03-15-2010, 12:26
Hey there. I'm in NorCal myself too. Where you at? I'm in Volcano east of Sacramento.

sihing_steve
03-15-2010, 12:55
@oniell121:

Santa Rosa, more or less. I travel a bit from Napa to Sonoma Counties.

fisheater
03-15-2010, 15:12
Welcome!!!

There's plenty "real" diving right here in Sonoma County.

Check our local dive club, the North Coast Divers. Welcome to The North Coast Divers! (http://Www.thenorthcoastdivers.org).

We go diving at least once a month and encourage newbies. We have neither dues, nor meetings, nor formal officers. Hope to dive with you.

Panmanmatt
03-15-2010, 15:44
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new cert. I'll have to check out your booth at BTS in a few weeks.

sfbluestar
03-15-2010, 15:46
I'm new diver too, at Redwood City.

sterlinghe92
03-15-2010, 17:18
Looks interesting but all it does is send a signal right?!

sihing_steve
03-15-2010, 17:50
Looks interesting but all it does is send a signal right?!

Hi sterlinghe92.

It is a two way, ultrasonic communication device. It will send and receive signals up to 100ft apart. (They are also depth tested and work up to 500ft deep.) Divers can signal and gain each others attention, but you cannot transmit voice or text if that is what you are asking. Divers are alerted, and confirmed of transmissions with a LED color sequence, and audible sound alert. The LEDs are auto dimming for dark light conditions so you won't get "blinded" in dark light or low vis conditions.

Once a successful communication has occurred, the devices will give an approximate range of how far your buddy is from you. There are over 500 private channels available so multiple groups can go diving without accidentally signaling the wrong group. However, there is a "broadcast" signal that will go out to all devices should one need to contact anyone in the immediate area.

Steve

sihing_steve
03-15-2010, 17:53
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new cert. I'll have to check out your booth at BTS in a few weeks.

Would be great to meet you Panmanmatt and thanks for the congrats!

I'll be the one with the short dark hair at the BTS show in New Jersey. :smiley20: