PDA

View Full Version : Tank Colors

danielh03
09-05-2007, 03:46
Hey guys, I see all these different colors on tanks, like candy red or neon yellow.... My question is how long do those types of finishes last, and how much more of a cost do you see on average?

Black-Gorrilla
09-05-2007, 06:23
cost is about the same.
i have a really nice, smoke color tank (shiny and sparkly) and it has a weird hue to it!
well, from the first day i went out diving, it started to get scratched against my brothers tanks and all of our gears.

loudgonzo
09-05-2007, 09:21
I have a nice shiny black tank with 2 stickers that I've yet to use, can't seem to get away from work or the house. But I don't expect it to be nice and shiny after the first use, hopefully next weekend.

JahJahwarrior
09-05-2007, 10:08
If by "last" you mean remain in perfect, factory condition, the answer is one, maybe two dives. :) If you baby them, they might look good for 4 or 5 dives, but eventually they'll hit something and scratch. If by "last" you mean how long will there be remnants of the paintjob on the tank, well it'll be there for all of time, but only in the areas where it can't hit things and get scratched off :)

If you want coloured tanks, then go for it! There's really no cost difference, and there isn't much of a problem with them, other than the fact that they do look worse over time than unpainted tanks, because they get scratched and look like they have a bad case of mange. If you dive saltwater, rinse them well after every dive, make sure that no salt water gets stuck under flaking paint, where it can corrode the tank faster. As long as you rinse the tanks, it shouldn't be a problem.

ian
09-05-2007, 15:13
If by "last" you mean remain in perfect, factory condition, the answer is one, maybe two dives. :) If you baby them, they might look good for 4 or 5 dives, but eventually they'll hit something and scratch. If by "last" you mean how long will there be remnants of the paintjob on the tank, well it'll be there for all of time, but only in the areas where it can't hit things and get scratched off :)

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Yep!

I got an AL80 with a clear blue plastic wrapper around it. It looked really nice in the shop. :smiley20:

After a few dives, it had some good diongs and scratches. I've noticed that the aluminum in and around the scratches and dings is getting that wonderful salt water oxidized aluminum look.:smiley21:

I may have to resaort to some serious elbow grease to remove the pretty coating.:smiley19:

On the bright side: lesson learned...never again...:smiley29:

Ian

Charlotte Smith
09-05-2007, 16:19
I have a clear coated al 63 and a clear coated al80 and they still look great, the colors are really pretty at first, but tend to start getting ugly after a few dives....

Capt Hook
09-05-2007, 18:19
Yeah, same here, my wife has a yellow 63cf that looks kind of funky after 8 yrs.

JahJahwarrior
09-05-2007, 21:47
And another problem is you cannot remove the paint very easily. If you do anything that will physically remove metal, like sanding it, you will be required by law to have it rehydrotested, and many places will fail it autmoatically, they get pretty touchy about it.

Also, the manufacturer sometimes sands tanks that are a little thick on one side, then slaps a coat of paint on them and off they go. So if you strip the paint chemically, you may find that your tank was sanded by Luxfer or Catalina or whomever, and you probably can't prove to the hydrotester that you didn't sand it, so you'll have to put up with alot of bullcrap in order to get it hydroed, potentially, even if you use chemical paint removers.

Lastly, you can always repaint it, but many places will also refuse to fill or hydro a repainted tank, because many paints require heat curing, and that will damage a tank, and they don't know if you heat cured it or not. Also, it'll just get dinged up again.

My advice: get the ones that have no coating whatsoever, but not the shotblast ones, but the ones that have lines around the circumference of the cylinder. Otherwise, get shot blast. If you can't get that, then get clearcoat. If you can't get that, get yellow, an dif you can't get that then start freediving instead :)

The "tank wraps" that are like mesh, they don't work. Rather, they work in your car and whatnot, but sometimes let the tank slip out of your BC, some pepole say. So many people put them on after every dive, to protect the tank in the car and in storage....but you'll still ding it sometime. Why go through all the trouble? just get a tank without a coating!

mike_s
09-05-2007, 22:17
And another problem is you cannot remove the paint very easily.

stripping tanks is easy. you just gotta know the easy way to do it.

Also, the manufacturer sometimes sands tanks that are a little thick on one side, then slaps a coat of paint on them and off they go. So if you strip the paint chemically, you may find that your tank was sanded by Luxfer or Catalina or whomever, and you probably can't prove to the hydrotester that you didn't sand it, so you'll have to put up with alot of bullcrap in order to get it hydroed, potentially, even if you use chemical paint removers.

Never heard that, but maybe it's true. I have had some weird swirl marks on a stripped tank.

My advice: get the ones that have no coating whatsoever, but not the shotblast ones, but the ones that have lines around the circumference of the cylinder. Otherwise, get shot blast.

You can get them galvanized hot dipped. that's the best finish to get for longevity. doesn't look the prettiest, but will last longer.

JahJahwarrior
09-05-2007, 22:54
stripping tanks is easy. you just gotta know the easy way to do it.

You can get them galvanized hot dipped. that's the best finish to get for longevity. doesn't look the prettiest, but will last longer.
You are correct on both counts, stripping is easy, most people run into trouble after that, but not all. You can avoid the trouble if you are willing to take your time and be careful. I also personally like the suggestion of hot dip galvanizing, I hadn't thought of that, and I think it would work great.

Here is what Luxfer says about repainting:
Luxfer Technical Bulletin on repainting 6061 alloy tanks (http://www.luxfercylinders.com/support/bulletins/20070116usa.htm)

They actually reccomend soft media blasting to remove paint, rather than paint strippers, as best as I can tell.

keyshunter
09-06-2007, 07:14
I have a clear coated al 63 and a clear coated al80 and they still look great, the colors are really pretty at first, but tend to start getting ugly after a few dives....

If you use your tanks hard, especially in salt water, you will find that the clearcoat will crack and chip just like colored paint. I had six Catalina clearcoated 80's, and salt water worked its way into the cracks then dried leaving salt deposits which looked really bad, despite my best efforts at removing it. To prevent the problem from getting worse, my answer was to strip the clearcoat with aircraft paint stripper. If someone gave me a new clearcoated tank today (I would never BUY a new painted or clearcoated tank ), I would strip it before it ever went into the water.

mike_s
09-06-2007, 07:15
I also personally like the suggestion of hot dip galvanizing, I hadn't thought of that, and I think it would work great.

I meant that as from the factory, but I'm sure it could be done afterwards if done correctly

Luxfer Technical Bulletin on repainting 6061 alloy tanks (http://www.luxfercylinders.com/support/bulletins/20070116usa.htm)

They actually reccomend soft media blasting to remove paint, rather than paint strippers, as best as I can tell.

hmm.... good link you found there.

I understand why that want soft meda blasting instead of paint removers/strippers. Most strippers are corrosive if not applied and cleaned properly afterwards. They don't want to suggest anything that could cause corrosion and cause liability on their part. can't blame them.

The times I've used stripper I've always been carefully to clean the tank afterwards.

keyshunter
09-06-2007, 07:18
[quote=mike_s;45673]

I suspect that that is to "cover" the potential problem Mike mentions above.

loudgonzo
09-06-2007, 08:17
well that sucks...i wish now I'd bought a plain non-colored tank.

JahJahwarrior
09-06-2007, 08:31
well that sucks...i wish now I'd bought a plain non-colored tank.

Don't fret, just mail your tank to me and go buy a new one. :)

As for what luxfer reccomends and why, yeah, they are covering their butts. I don't think using aircraft paint stripper will damage the tank. However, I also think that if you are going to drop the "luxfer manual" on the table to convince your store owner that you have done it right, you ought to have followed that manual. If you can show the Luxfer techncal bulletin and that you have followed it to the letter of the law, I think your store owner will have muchless ground to stand on :)

Of course, if your tank isn't a Luxfer, then go find your own manufacturer's suggestions.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 10:47
IMO the best "color" is brushed aluminum. No paint to chip off.

ccarter
09-18-2007, 11:12
IMO the best "color" is brushed aluminum. No paint to chip off.
Agreed, and it just looks better.

CompuDude
09-18-2007, 16:16
Yup. Brushed aluminum for aluminum tanks, hot dipped galv. for steel. I'll take Faber's painted tanks if the price makes it too good to resist, but other than that, it's all about the Galv. tanks for me. (or plain brushed Al.)

Of course, I own some colored aluminum tanks (a pair of black Al.80 doubles). But they were given to me, so I wasn't about to complain.

Mtrewyn
09-19-2007, 10:12
The brushed Al tanks hold better in the BC

crpntr133
09-19-2007, 22:50
Owned two yellow AL80's and sold them for two Worthington LP85's. Hot dipped galvanized and after a few dives they start to turn a nice shade of grey. Any AL's that I buy will be either shot or brushed finish.

scubasavvy
09-19-2007, 23:26
Its either brushed AL or yellow. I need all the color I can get here in Boston when vis is bad...

DZorn00
09-20-2007, 05:59
good thing I didn't buy that colored tank the other day..