PDA

View Full Version : how to find used tanks

lespaulsf
03-17-2010, 14:30
Hi

I'm trying to find some used tanks but haven't had much luck yet. I have posted WTB before but not many people that already have tanks don't want to sell them. I'm looking for AL80's.

sterlinghe92
03-17-2010, 14:38
Check craigslist!

navyhmc
03-17-2010, 15:01
1. We don't sell tanks here, we hoard them! :smiley36:

2. As you're looking, remember you getwhat you pay for. Check out the multitude of threads about the 6351 alloy before you start looking.

3. Not a slam on my cave country bretheren, but if you see a steel LP tank for sale that is from areas where cave diving is king *cough* Florida *cough*, it's a safe bet that the tank has been overfilled a good number of times before being put up for sale. Not a deal breaker, but relaize that before going in. In this case, it may not have the endless life expectancy of a steel LP tank.

4, Good luck!:smiley20:

CompuDude
03-17-2010, 15:05
Check craigslist!

+1.

Avoid FleaBay. Shipping tanks tends to kill any savings, and it's better to be able to see the tank in person before exchanging money.

UCFKnightDiver
03-17-2010, 15:09

2. As you're looking, remember you getwhat you pay for. Check out the multitude of threads about the 6351 alloy before you start looking.

3. Not a slam on my cave country bretheren, but if you see a steel LP tank for sale that is from areas where cave diving is king *cough* Florida *cough*, it's a safe bet that the tank has been overfilled a good number of times before being put up for sale. Not a deal breaker, but relaize that before going in. In this case, it may not have the endless life expectancy of a steel LP tank.

tanks are still perfectly good!

navyhmc
03-17-2010, 15:26

tanks are still perfectly good!

Not saying they're not. I would say though that they are still good tanks, not perfectly good tanks-semantics I know. A perfectly good tank in my mind is one that has not been overfilled, has been well cared for and has been tested on a regular schedule. These tanks would be good tanks.

But, in the back of my mind I can't help but think that the total life expectancy of the tank will be diminished. Granted, the newer LP tanks have only been around for what? 10-15 years? So there is not a lot of data to prove or disprove that the tank life expectancy is less. I'm not familiar with whether or not the old steel 72's were overfilled years ago and what their life span was in that role. I do know that there are 72's out that that are 45+ years old that still pass hydro. Steel 63's that are 70 still pas for that matter. But I've not seen the data pro or con for overfilled tanks and life expectancy.

I still have one 6351 tank that is a circa 1980 tank, it still passes hydro and VIP's with eddy current. I can get it filled at the LDS that did the VIP and my favorite dive spot: Oronogo, so I keep it, but even then, I still worry about it a little. Granted it's no where near overused and hasn't been abused (one owner, me), but I still wonder a little.

It would be an interesting study and one would need to contact a number of technicians that have done a good number of hydro's on overfilled LP tank to see if while they do pass hydro, do they squeek past o are they well within the test tolerances.

And I do understand that those in the cave diving community do overfill them on a regular basis and have no problem with them doing it. Gas/Air is life and the more they have the better it is.

Not dissing cave divers or their practices.:smiley20:

chilly willy
03-17-2010, 15:30
Thread hijack......
What are you doing up this time of day Navy?:smiley36:

navyhmc
03-17-2010, 15:32
Thread hijack......
What are you doing up this time of day Navy?:smiley36:

:smilie39: Son is on spring break...:smiley36:

We now take you back to our regularly scheduled thread on lepaulsf's quest for used tanks. :smiley20:

comet24
03-17-2010, 16:00
craigslist is good for used Al tanks. Not so much for steel at least around me. Make sure to educate yourself a little. It will go along way to ensure you get a good deal.

lespaulsf
03-17-2010, 16:08
Hmmm ok. That's about the same thing I have found. Either cough up the money for new tanks from a local LSD or look on Craiglists for the very few and far between listings of tanks.

Thanks for the note about over filled tanks being sold.

inventor
03-17-2010, 16:22
I was also going to suggest Craig's List. I'd look to buy locally, think it's DOT regs, that make it about $50 to ship a tank. That pretty much kills the savings. Did a lot of on-line searching last year. All the eBay ones looked like dogs, or cost more than a new one, with shipping. Also, check local dive shops, they usually have a bulletin board kinda thing were folks post gear for sale and such.

CompuDude
03-17-2010, 16:39
I was also going to suggest Craig's List. I'd look to buy locally, think it's DOT regs, that make it about $50 to ship a tank. That pretty much kills the savings. Did a lot of on-line searching last year. All the eBay ones looked like dogs, or cost more than a new one, with shipping. Also, check local dive shops, they usually have a bulletin board kinda thing were folks post gear for sale and such.

UPS doesn't care that it's a tank (as long as it's not pressurized), they just care that they're heavy and the boxes are big. That's why it's expensive to ship them.

Otherwise, absolutely, I agree. Local is the way to go.

brojack17
03-17-2010, 18:32
There was a guy here locally that was getting rid of some tanks. I picked up two 80's for $185. He was on Craigs List but I haven't seen him since. I didn't save his info either. I know he's the shop teacher at Rogers HS. He said he had a bunch more and said he was going to post on the Tulsa Aquanauts page, but hasn't to date.

wheelman
03-17-2010, 18:49
This is a handy site that I hit occassionally to help aid the search.

site mash : scuba : combined classified and auction listings (http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?itm=scuba&cat=merch&fil=&pg=&state=&ys=&ye)=

Rileybri
03-17-2010, 18:58
I was able to my my 72's from my instructor. He did not know he wanted to sell any tanks till I asked him so it always good to ask. I have 5 72's now....

inventor
03-17-2010, 21:36
This is a handy site that I hit occassionally to help aid the search.

site mash : scuba : combined classified and auction listings (http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?itm=scuba&cat=merch&fil=&pg=&state=&ys=&ye)=

Good sir, that site has gone to my favorites. My landlady's gonna be pissed at you though.:smiley20:

You might also want to check areas with friends and family, and have them buy locally. A friend in Cali was going to do that for me, but I found tanks locally.

snagel
03-18-2010, 05:43
You might check with some of the local quarry's or dive shops and see if they are selling any used tanks. We've picked up several used tanks from Tina at Haigh Quarry (near Chicago). If you do this, check the dates on the tank....sometimes getting them rehydroed and checked adds up to a new tank.

Snagel

mrmccoy
03-18-2010, 07:55
I just picked up 2 AL80's for $70 off of craigslist.

cam
03-18-2010, 08:13
I got lucky and found a $40 AL80 tank on CraigsList, also. It passed hydro and VIP just fine.

The previous owner was a photographer displaced from FL to WI. Poor dude.

Still trying to decide if I should make an offer on his Nikonos rig.

lespaulsf
03-18-2010, 08:18
There was a guy here locally that was getting rid of some tanks. I picked up two 80's for $185. He was on Craigs List but I haven't seen him since. I didn't save his info either. I know he's the shop teacher at Rogers HS. He said he had a bunch more and said he was going to post on the Tulsa Aquanauts page, but hasn't to date.

If you have his info that would be great!

bigman241
03-19-2010, 20:15
pawn shops. was told all the big pawn shops in fl had the not sure about your area. One of my local ones said he would dig some out. I guess he had everything packed in the back he bought a few years back.

RoyN
03-19-2010, 20:19
+2 on craigslist

UCFKnightDiver
03-21-2010, 20:34
I just picked up an 80 this weekend for 30 bucks this weekend. :)