PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here been to Valhalla?

Tableleg
09-05-2007, 08:27
http://www.familyscuba.com/index.cfm?SECTION=696

Looks like it would be fun. Anyone have experience with this place?

JipThePeople
09-11-2007, 01:09
I am also looking for reviews from divers who have made the trip. Anyone out there actually dived Valhalla? Is it still open? Do I have to make a reservation with FamilyScuba.com to dive it?

Dive-aholic
09-11-2007, 12:08
I was there about 3 years ago. It's a fun dive to do...once. It's basically a water filled hole in the ground. The steps are interesting to get up and down while wearing a 7mm or dry suit (the water is 60 degrees) and the floating dock is...fun. Make sure you have someone standing on the other side to balance it out. I don't think Family Scuba does trips there. They own it, but trips are usually booked through other shops. Give Family Scuba a call to see if they have any trips coming up and find out the shop that's hosting it. Check out my website for photos of our trip.

Hemlon
09-11-2007, 12:09
I'm interested in diving it also!

BuzzGA
09-11-2007, 12:41
I had never heard of the dive until now...its on the list as a must do

RECDiver
09-18-2007, 16:52
I was interested in diving there until I read some reports of the dead rats floating in the water and running around the facility and the rattlesnakes that have been found in the facility, including one found in a divebag.

Venio
09-18-2007, 19:27
I was interested in diving there until I read some reports of the dead rats floating in the water and running around the facility and the rattlesnakes that have been found in the facility, including one found in a divebag.

Interesting! Has anyone tried to take a Geiger counter :smiley34: to the silo?!

diverdad
09-22-2007, 20:59
I have had several friends dive it and they said it was a pretty good training site for altitude and deep diving , but the up flow from the other divers bubbles was something to contend with. They never said anything about rats or snakes.

texdiveguy
09-22-2007, 22:44
Been a few times...great 'log book' dive....hope your in good physical shape!

Dive-aholic
09-29-2007, 12:01
I've been off the site here lately due to Internet access issues (finally resolved!), but I wanted to clear some things up. When I dove Valhalla a few years ago, we arrived early in the morning since we stayed in Abilene the night before. We had about an hour with the property owner and got some history on the place. When he purchased the land he had the water tested and it came back clean. He didn't own a dive shop at the time. In fact, he wasn't even a diver. He got certified and then did his first dive in the silo with his instructor. Somewhere along the line, he bought a dive shop and opened the silo up to diving. As a business owner, if there was any type of radiation, etc, I don't think the state would let him operate it as a dive site. Also, there are several more silos in the area that are water filled. Some of them have been fixed up to be people's homes, which was the intention of Valhalla's owner when he bought it in the 80s. As for the rats and snakes, they do get in there from time to time. I didn't see any during our trip, but it is a dark place and not air tight. It stays a constant temperature throughout the year. However, because there's no light in there, you won't find anything else living in there, especially in the water. I wouldn't drink the water in the silo, but it is safe to dive in.

diverdad
09-30-2007, 12:08
Thanks you for the first hand knowledge and report.

Tableleg
10-08-2007, 13:42
Well that's cool that there's other people interested in it! Would anyone be up to forming a group to go? I can only see one snag:

The group must consist of an instructor or insured divemaster who will be responsible for coordinating the diving activities and maintaining safety divers ready for any problems that might occur.

We would also need to talk a DM or instructor into going with the group. Any thoughts, suggestions?

JipThePeople
10-17-2007, 06:37
Rob Neto of www.southwestscuba.com was kind enough to let us feature his story on our web site, www.DallasDivers.com. The feature also has some pics from his trip. Rob is a great guy and like most people in our sport, very enthusiastic about sharing his experiences.

Dive-aholic
10-18-2007, 22:17
Thanks for the kind words, Chris!

Everyone should check out Chris' site. There's a lot more great information on it!

Lake Diver
10-24-2007, 10:50
Here's our info on the missile silo, VIDEO included!

Lake Diver - Valhalla Missile Silo Abilene, Texas (http://www.lakediver.com/map/texas/valhalla.html)

Bring a flashlight and some legs!

Tableleg
10-24-2007, 11:43
I really like your video!

What shop did you guys go with? Do you know if there are groups that regularly go that take tag-alongs?

Lake Diver
10-24-2007, 16:23
I think it was booked through the www.familyscuba.com (http://www.familyscuba.com) thing...PM ZeroViz on this forum - he's the one behind the camera in the video! - and he'll be able to tell you who they went through...