PDA

View Full Version : Aeris XR1 battery problem

wisnu
03-18-2010, 08:27
I've posted same thread in other forum too, but no response. So, try here hope my luck.

I bought 2 Aeris XR1 2 years ago from Scubatoys for my daughter and my wife. Recently, after approx. 50 dives, both of them require battery replacement.
I have no problem for the first unit. Still working well until now (15 dives). But not for the second computer.
Just after 12 dives, the lo batt status was flashing again :smiley5:. I though, the battery quality was not good - so I replace with another new battery. Even worst now; it can only survive for 3 dives. :smiley19:
I don't think I made a mistake when I replaced the battery. I also replaced my Atmos 2 battery - and so far has reached more than 40 dives without any problem. I use exactly same battery for all, ie. Panasonic.

Thanks for any advise

Cheers
Wisnu

Foo2
03-18-2010, 10:11
No clue why that would be happening. I have the XR1 and the battery will last me one year typically. Maybe someone more tech savvy than I can help you out some more.

rayaa3
03-18-2010, 10:22
I know that this won't make sense for your situation, however, I had this same problem with my oceanic veo 100 (both mine and yours are made by Pelagic, and are very similar in many respects).

My problem was solved by using a very particular brand of battery. "Radio shack" "enercell" brand batteries.

I know that this SHOULD NOT be a solution for you, as you replaced two computer batteries, and used the same brand for both (Panasonic), and only one computer is having the problem. However, I figured I would pass on what the problem was in my situation. I tried energizer, and some other brand, before finding that radio shack batteries worked.

I don't think it's really about the 'brand' as much as it is the mah of the battery in question, the radio shack battery was 600 mah (milliampere-hour) after finding that the radio shack battery that worked, I researched the other batteries and found they were 550 or 575 mah.

I do think that Panasonic is one of the brands that oceanic/aeris recommends, so I would think it would be at least 600mah.

I think your problem might be different, but I hope this helps - our symptoms were identical though.

wisnu
03-19-2010, 07:38
All
Thanks for your response & comment.
I tried this morning with Sony but still no success. No radioshack here. I live in small city of tiny country.
I don't think the problem is battery; the other two Aeris have no problem with same batteries.
I've e-mailed Aeris but no response.

Trunk_Monkey
03-19-2010, 21:27
I know that this won't make sense for your situation, however, I had this same problem with my oceanic veo 100 (both mine and yours are made by Pelagic, and are very similar in many respects).

My problem was solved by using a very particular brand of battery. "Radio shack" "enercell" brand batteries.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when it comes time to replace the battery in my VEO 100 (which, by the way, I really like).

boat
03-20-2010, 09:21
wisnu,

I have an XR1 and haven't had very good luck with Panasonic or off-branded batteries. Sony or Energizer have been fine. I don't know if the newer XR1's are better or not but mine seems to go through batteries pretty quickly - it's about 4 years old now. Batteries are cheap though, so I change them after 25 on/off cycles.

Did you say you had problems with a Sony battery ? If so, I'd suggest there is a problem with the computer.