PDA

View Full Version : why do you need a valve like this

bigman241
03-20-2010, 10:26
What is this valve for is it really needed. I asked the shop owner where we did our ow and he said so you had a back up reg. Why would you need 4 regs when diving.

H Valve Pro 200-BAR reviews and discounts, XS Scuba (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RtHValve)
Here is the link

in_cavediver
03-20-2010, 10:30
This is used to give redundancy with a single tank. Many intro to cave divers use this 'H' valve or a 'y' valve rather than doubles. The idea is you can turn off one 'post' and still get air from the second. IE, free flow reg means turn off that first stage and go to you other first stage.

To rig it, you need 2 first stages and 2 second stages. You split your LP inflators - drysuit,BC - between the first stages and you use only one HP pressure gauge. The hose routing/configuration is identical to that for doubles.

mm_dm
03-20-2010, 10:44
I met a couple of cavers that dove independent doubles and used these valves on their tanks, complete with additional 1st and 2nd stages as in_ cavediver described. Seemed like a hassle to me, but it worked for them.

comet24
03-20-2010, 11:54
These are normally used when you want redundancy on a single tank. I've seen a few on some wrecks off the East Coast. Each time it was a small person or a handicapped diver that didn't want the weight of doubles. Most people though go with doubles at this point.

navyhmc
03-20-2010, 15:22
They work for a redundant reg, but not for a redundant air supply.

And what everyone else said... :smiley36:

bigman241
03-20-2010, 20:55
Heck I do not want the weight of double 130s steel stanks. 43 each that is alot of tank weight. I see the idea behind it now. Better safe then dead.
These are normally used when you want redundancy on a single tank. I've seen a few on some wrecks off the East Coast. Each time it was a small person or a handicapped diver that didn't want the weight of doubles. Most people though go with doubles at this point.

Jack Hammer
03-21-2010, 06:10
Heck I do not want the weight of double 130s steel stanks. 43 each that is alot of tank weight. I see the idea behind it now. Better safe then dead.
Double 130's aren't as horrible as you might think, whereas I prefer double 100's (33#s each), my buddies who are similar in size to me (5'10, 180) like their double 130's. In the water their tanks feel similar to mine, outta the water they weigh 20 pounds more. Don't be in a rush to get doubled, doubles are like any tool, good for a specific application but not necessarily the best choice for all applications.