PDA

View Full Version : cozumel rash

newbie144
03-21-2010, 07:48
I made my first dive with a certified instructor last week in Cozumel. A red oval-shaped solid splotch (about 2" by 1"") appeared on my left front side above my waist. It burns occasionally in that location and deep within. I also have had nausea. When I returned to U.S. the doctor, not knowing what splotch was, prescribed a topical ointment (hydrocortisone) and the antibiotic cipro. I did not have on a wet suit, but I did have a one piece bathing suit covering this area. The nausea has subsided mostly but the rash is still there. Any insights? Thanks!!

Sask Diver
03-21-2010, 09:02
I made my first dive with a certified instructor last week in Cozumel. A red oval-shaped solid splotch (about 2" by 1"") appeared on my left front side above my waist. It burns occasionally in that location and deep within. I also have had nausea. When I returned to U.S. the doctor, not knowing what splotch was, prescribed a topical ointment (hydrocortisone) and the antibiotic cipro. I did not have on a wet suit, but I did have a one piece bathing suit covering this area. The nausea has subsided mostly but the rash is still there. Any insights? Thanks!!
Jellyfish sting maybe?

Soonerwink
03-21-2010, 13:39
Sounds like a hydroid sting. A brown or black feathery plant. It is quite common in Cozumel. I got into some on Santa Rosa Wall while taking photos. It took a couple of weeks for it to disappear.

Rileybri
03-21-2010, 14:46
If the rash appeared during or following a dive you really should consult a DAN (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/) doctor. If you are not a member, or do not know, DAN is the DIvers Alert Network and serves as an emergency and non-emergency medical clearing house for information and support for divers. It is well worth having for just such an occurrence and god forbid much much worse. give them a call and find out what divers have to say about it.......Non-Emergency Medical Questions
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5:00pm (ET)

welcome to the forums....

newbie144
03-21-2010, 17:01
These are all very helpful suggestions. Will pursue further, so thanks for all your comments. I loved the dive but now know there are safety and medical issues to be aware of besides functioning gear!

boates
03-21-2010, 19:25
I had this happen to me, diving the Halifax harbour. Turns out I had a pin prick sized break in my skin, and the polluted waters had an entry. A dose of antibiotics fixed it. Itchy as... h, e, double l. I had a wetsuit on. I did contact Dan, after my GP gave me a (steroid)cream, which, didn't work, then showed him (via print out) what Dan said, that's when I got the prescription for the pills.