PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water soaking of camera housing

greylion
03-21-2010, 12:04
Right now I'm soaking my camera housing in the tub of fresh water after returning from a trip to Cozumel. I like to leave mine in there all day and work all the buttons while submerged several times during the soaking. I've found that doing this keeps all the buttons from getting frozen in place by salt deposits. I know it's a keen sense of the obvious, but I learned this the hard way with a previous housing that I didn't do this long soak with and I just thought I'd share for those that are kind of new to the underwater camera equipment preventive maintenance.:smiley20:

Nemrod
03-21-2010, 14:38
I soak mine for several hours with an occasional rinse under a faucet and then a final dunk in distilled water for a few minutes before putting away after a trip. I occasionaly work all of the controls to displace the salt and debris.

I especially like to rinse my wet mount lenses with distilled water and wipe gently with a microfiber cloth and let air dry.

I let everything dry on a towel before storage away.

N

Tassie Diver
03-21-2010, 16:29
I've heard some nasty stories about leaks during long soaks. So, I always remove my camera from the housing before a long soak.

CompuDude
03-22-2010, 00:38
I've heard some nasty stories about leaks during long soaks. So, I always remove my camera from the housing before a long soak.

Hopefully that goes without saying!

rayaa3
03-22-2010, 09:32
My camera setup is small enough to fit in a standard hotel wastebasket. So usually I would pull the plastic bag out, take it to the tub, fit it 3/4 with water and soak in that, come back in an hour and work all the buttons out really well. Worked for me, and freed up the tub/shower/sink for the wife to get all pretty'd up.

Tassie Diver
03-22-2010, 15:56

You might be amazed:smiley2:

CompuDude
03-22-2010, 16:30

You might be amazed:smiley2:

I doubt it. :smiley5:

Good tip for those who need saving from their own lack of common sense, though. LOL

pershing
07-18-2010, 16:05
Anyone uses white vinegar/water mixes for cleaning up before storage?

gee
07-21-2010, 11:27
I added vinegar to the rinse water once. It caused some discoloration on some of the control buttons of the Ikelite case.

naplestreasures
07-21-2010, 11:46

That and put a piece of colored construction paper inside to detect any leaks that may occur.