PDA

View Full Version : Coolangatta

broncrider
03-22-2010, 18:05
I am looking at coming down for a temporary job for about a month. I will be working at the Coolangatta Airport. I was wondering who would be the best people to dive with while I am in the area.

Thanks for any info.

Smashee
03-22-2010, 18:17
Plenty of good places to dive down there. Kirra Dive, just down the road at Tweed Heads, run boats out to Cook Island, as does Chris Mair of Ocean Dive (my personal choice).
There's Sundive an hour drive south at Byron Bay and Herb of Palm Beach Dive, Currumbin runs a good boat, too. What sort of diving do you prefer?

broncrider
03-22-2010, 18:22
My diving experience is limited. I have never been anywhere except the limited vis lakes and quarries around Texas. So in answer to your question, Honestly I would have to say any diving while I am there will be new and I will be inexperienced.

The one thing I can say is I do have pretty good control of my buoyancy. I have never been ocean diving and my max depth is about 60ft. So I would be happy with some shore diving with a DM to help show me what to look for.

Smashee
03-22-2010, 18:42
For quick & easy dives, with plenty to see, I'd recommend Cook Island which doesn't get much past 15m and has plenty of life. A side trip to Julian Rocks (Byron Bay) would be a decent dive and bottoms out at 18m. Lots of wobbies, turtles, rays & reef fish all over. :-)

If you get the chance to go further afield, HMAS Brisbane about 2-3 hours North at Mooloolaba is a purpose-sunk wreck that's accessible to OW divers and some of the diving off N. Stradbroke Island is brilliant, with mantas, whales & Grey Nurse sharks depending on the season.

Shore diving is pretty much limited to the Gold Coast Seaway or the Tweed River, which is about 10 minutes drive from Coolangatta airport. Both sites are tide-dependent and should only be dived around slack-water, so check the tide times.

Look to pay about $100-$120 for a double boat dive with gear hire on top of that. Dunno about the cost of DM rental for shore dives, but I'd be happy to show you around, time & tide permitting.

broncrider
03-22-2010, 18:49
That would be great Smashee. I am looking at coming down about the 1st of may. I will be sure to let you know when I will be down. Thanks for all your help.

Smashee
03-23-2010, 15:55
That would be great Smashee. I am looking at coming down about the 1st of may. I will be sure to let you know when I will be down. Thanks for all your help.

No worries. Shoot me a PM a couple of days before you leave and I'll give you my contact details.

broncrider
06-14-2010, 16:42
Smashee,
my apologies I made my trip and was extremely busy the whole time. but I am going to come back for a vacation in November maybe we can hook up then and get some dives in. I appreciate your offer, I am just sorry I didnt get time to meet you.