PDA

View Full Version : Zena Question

creggur
09-05-2007, 10:51
My wife has a Zena and loves it except for one thing. She doesn't like the location of the little pocket on the front, but doesn't want to take it off. Has anyone tried alternate locations for it?

I guess what I'm looking for here is how you configure your accessories for dives. She's got a retractor that she clips her console to on her left stainless D-ring. Where do you carry your knife and safety sausage during dives since there are only 2 D-rings? Any pics of how you have your stuff clipped off would be great too..

Thanks in advance..

Charlotte Smith
09-05-2007, 17:07
I have the same issue with that pocket! I have all of my other things clipped on and its really hard to locate the pocket quickly to get things in or out of it. I put my weights in the back pockets so I have the bigger pockets for other things....

scubabirdie
09-05-2007, 18:05
When I ordered my Zena last year I ordered it with the same zipper attachment that the Ranger LTD has. The zipper attachment system is inside each wing of the bladder and can accommodate a variety of different carriers i.e. pony bottles, spare air, etc. I have the additional pockets that can be zipped right on. The zipper system has really made my Zena quite versatile. I just returned from Cozumel and I used the zipper pocket on one side and on the other side I had the pony bottle attachment, which worked like a charm.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=LTDUtilityPocket

The only thing the pocket that comes with the Zena is good for, is to study how the Velcro tab is constructed that allows it to attach to the webbing. I bought a folding dive knife from ST, and wanted to wear it on the front of the vest. I bought some webbing and some Velcro and made my own holder for the knife. I then made 2 of the Velcro holders the same as the Zena puts on there pocket. It worked beautifully. Btw, I don’t really sew, so if I could do it I imagine almost anyone could.

You might check with the guys at ScubaToys and see if you can have the zipper system retrofit to the Zena. I use the pocket to hold my safety sausage, a pair of EMT scissors, and any other accessories I might have for that dive.

Zenagirl
09-05-2007, 18:44
I hate the little fold down pocket and took it off immediately after buying my Zena. I simply clip my safety sausage to a lower D-ring (with my H2Yo rattle), and my knife is attached to the webbing of one of my straps. The lack of pockets keeps me from carrying junk I don't need. ;)

I LOVE ScubaBirdie's method of the zipper system and might just have to ask the guys at ST about it...or perhaps they'll post here how they can do it and for how much. Or if it's a matter of ordering a part to do it myself. Larry?? Joe??

texarkandy
09-05-2007, 18:50
My daughter has a Zena. Has anybody thought about the benefits/possiblity of having two lower rear dump valves (one on each side, like my Brigade) on the Zena instead of just one?

scubabirdie
09-05-2007, 18:54
I have 2 lower dump valves on my Zena. What year did you buy your daughters BC? I believe all the new ones come with 2 lower dumps.

YellowfinKunkfish
09-05-2007, 19:31
I bought my Zena in April of this year, and it only has one rear dump valve. Would be nice to have two!

I don't like that pocket either, it's not really big enough to hold anything, and when it's opened up, it hangs down too far. By the way Creggur, you're wife's Zena should have 4 d-rings. Two are at the very bottom.

I'm going to eventually order the zeagle diver tool kit, and put that where the pocket is now. It has emt shears, zeagle knife, and slate. I didn't like my spg hanging so low on the bottom d-ring, so I bought a retractor that I could screw onto the front of the zena, to that little strip of material on the front. Just under the top d-ring. I have my octo on the d-ring on the other side. I try not to hang anything on the lower d-rings, because they are just too low. (I don't like getting caught on tree branches) My only problem now, is I don't really have a place to put a light. Primary OR backup.

texarkandy
09-05-2007, 19:38
I have 2 lower dump valves on my Zena. What year did you buy your daughters BC? I believe all the new ones come with 2 lower dumps.

bought it this year, sure would be easier to rinse it out with 2 dumps, not too mention the availability of it if her other hand is busy or if air is more to that side due to her orientation. Wonder if it can be retro-fitted?

YellowfinKunkfish
09-05-2007, 19:41

bought it this year, sure would be easier to rinse it out with 2 dumps, not too mention the availability of it if her other hand is busy or if air is more to that side due to her orientation. Wonder if it can be retro-fitted?

I was going to ask the same question!?

Larry? Are you reading?:smiley16:

creggur
09-05-2007, 21:15
OK just looked at the wifes Zena. Only see the two lower D-rings.

Do your Zena's have two stainless D-rings right above where the little pocket is? I just looked at the picture on ST and Zeagles website and they appear to be there. If so my wifes appears to be missing those two D-rings as she only has the bottom two... Interesting..

Think I'll shoot over to the Zeagle forum and ask Scott about this...hmmm..

For the record we got her Zena in July and it only has the one lower dump valve..

Thanks for all of the input!!! You gals rock!!

texarkandy
09-05-2007, 21:31
OK - just now had to pull ours out since we're all comparing notes:

4 metal D-Rings - (+ a total of six plastic "I guess you could call D-Rings" on the adjustment straps)
1 lower rear dump valve left hand side
2 tank straps -
2 rear trim weight pockets (dumpable)

Zenagirl
09-06-2007, 07:13
Hmmmm, I'm beginning to think that ScubaBirdie has a different bladder on her Zena than "standard". Perhaps to get the zippers?? I bought my Zena about 3 years ago, right after they changed it slightly (it's the updated model) and only have one lower left dump valve.

Oh Larry? Joe??

creggur
09-06-2007, 09:50
Scott just explained to me why My wifes doesn't have the upper D-rings, it's because the front panel is an XS...Oh well.

Zenagirl
09-06-2007, 15:36
Hmmm, so if she wants the upper D rings she has to gain weight and get at least a Small........

ScottZeagle
09-06-2007, 15:55
Hmmm, so if she wants the upper D rings she has to gain weight and get at least a Small........

I would NEVER explain it that way!!!

Zenagirl
09-06-2007, 18:30
Looks like adding the zippers and pocket isn't that big of a deal. :D I'm going to send my Zena to ST next spring (when I send my regs for service) and have them add the zippers and a pocket. YAY! :D

cutter77
09-07-2007, 02:10
Knife: Sheath stitched to left front vertical strap

Mirror: In sheath, stitched to front vertical strap

Whistle: Flat whistle moused over horizontal strap

Sausage: Folded long and flat, inserted into pocket and then flipped up under the vest

Light: Clipped off to lower D-ring

Console: Clipped across to upper D-ring for entry, tucked under bottom of vest during dive.

Extra Zip Ties: in back padding pocket

Small Backup Light: In top of right hand weight pocket.

cshel
09-09-2007, 20:20
I ordered a second pocket for the right side and the Zeagle Knife and Shear kit. I have my knife/shears on the top left horizontal strap. I've only used my pockets to collect items on my dives. I have a small back and shoulder piece and a large front panel. I had 4 metal D-rings and a single rear dump valve on the left side. I also have the lumbar pad which is super comfortable. I have a retractable clip on my console which I attach to the top left D-ring. Everything is in easy access. I added the alternate air source so I don't have an octo hanging. I went diving today and had a great time.

joemamma
08-22-2008, 21:10
Just ordered the wife a zena with the ranger ltd zippers attached from ST. She was hoping to get a second dump valve, but no such luck. But with being able to attach the zipper pockets, the wife is on cloud 9. She can't wait to get it and the get it wet! Too bad for her its her B-day present, and yes, shes gonna have to wait till her b-day to open it!:smiley36: ST ROCKS!!!

Diver Kat
08-22-2008, 22:10
Looks like adding the zippers and pocket isn't that big of a deal. :D I'm going to send my Zena to ST next spring (when I send my regs for service) and have them add the zippers and a pocket. YAY! :DZG ... did you get an idea of cost to add the pockets? Sounds interesting!

Zenagirl
08-23-2008, 08:07
Sorry Kat, I never sent my Zena in to add the zipper and a pocket. Frankly, I decided I didn't really need one since it might encourage me to start carrying junk I don't need.

Once Scott unveils the new "Zena Pocket" that Zeagle is working on, I'll definitely check that out and see if I want to re-evaluate my decision no pockets decision.

Honestly, I thought I'd want a pocket for sure when we went to Bonaire with it all being shore diving, but quickly realized that the only thing we "needed" to stash in a pocket was our little dry box, and my husband's Ranger pocket was perfect for that. ;)

Diver Kat
08-23-2008, 09:33
Sorry Kat, I never sent my Zena in to add the zipper and a pocket. Frankly, I decided I didn't really need one since it might encourage me to start carrying junk I don't need.

Once Scott unveils the new "Zena Pocket" that Zeagle is working on, I'll definitely check that out and see if I want to re-evaluate my decision no pockets decision.

Honestly, I thought I'd want a pocket for sure when we went to Bonaire with it all being shore diving, but quickly realized that the only thing we "needed" to stash in a pocket was our little dry box, and my husband's Ranger pocket was perfect for that. ;)I know what you mean ... I'm torn between wanting a pocket, but do I really need one! (Kind of like 1/2 the dive gadgets in my garage! :smiley9:)