PDA

View Full Version : Question about wrist computers

fxstc
03-26-2010, 11:36
Hi all,
I'm starting to put together my equipment wish list and I'm wondering if it makes more sense to buy a wrist computer or dive watch. My thinking is that a watch will give me elapsed time, and possibly depth, but a full featured computer can be used as a primary, or a backup to a console when I get that down the road. I'm looking at Oceanic Geo 2.0, VEO 1.0 or Aeris XR1 or XR2. Any opinions would be appreciated, I'm doing my OW in Key Largo in May.
Thanks!

wheelman
03-26-2010, 11:53
IMO, no brainer... get the computer over a watch and get one that can do nitrox. On the brand portion, look for a good deal since the basic ones do all the same thing. I'm sure others have more detailed opinions on the ones you listed.

fxstc
03-26-2010, 12:19
Thanks wheelman!! I'm researching brands and models now.

mrmccoy
03-26-2010, 13:14
Being a new diver myself I would say computer as well. I always forget to look at the time I go under and come up so the computer is agian a no brainer! Don't have to worry about task loading!

BSea
03-26-2010, 13:34
You do know that they make dive computers that are also watches, right? And I'd suggest a nitrox computer as well. My preference is Aeris/Oceanic. I've owned an Oceanic Console computer, a Suunto wrist computer, and now I have 2 Aeris wrist computers. 1 is used for a backup when I go on a trip. If you go with the watch style, be sure your eyesight is good (and your under 40). It gets hard to see when you eyes start to go. I have to use a gauge reader mask now, and my eyesight was perfect till I was about 45.

CompuDude
03-26-2010, 13:39
Why not both? A Casio G-Shock can be a handy dive watch and only costs $50 or so.

Oceanic and Aeris are the same company, which is why the models seem so similar... they are.

I prefer Oceanic, but no idea why.

FoxHound
03-26-2010, 16:20
I have an oceanic veo 180, and a mares nemo wide, i like the wide because its wide and easy as anything to see and the buttons are large for gloves, but its a bit more conservative then my veo on repetitive dives. I use the oceanic as my backup, and id get rid of my nemo wide before i get rid of the oceanic, its a great computer.

But yes, a computer is a better route then a dive watch and get something nitrox capable, chances are its a course you will do in the near future.

rawalker
03-26-2010, 16:29
There are wrist computers and then there are wrist computers.

Some of the PDC Personal Dive Computers available today are the size of a dive watchs with all the features of a dive computer except 1, screen size. This may not matter if your eyesight it good but if not you'll appreciate a larger screen on a larger wrist computer.
The smaller watch sized PDC do offer full watch function. A good question for yourself if you are leaning towards these types are. Do you really feel comfortable wearing a PDC regularly as a watch and then relying on it as a computer?

I own an Atom 2.0 and rarely wear it as a watch unless I'm on a dive vacation. I also own a VT3 which I find much easier to see underwater. My computers are for diving and I still have a 200m rated Casio G Shock that has been to depth with me.

mitsuguy
03-26-2010, 18:21
I ALWAYS wear my Geo as a normal watch, and then dive all the time with it as well... It has survived 350 dives since October of last year and still works perfectly... it can be a little picky about batteries, but no big issue... have ordered the Geo 2.0 and will be getting rid of this one...

CompuDude
03-26-2010, 19:08
I ALWAYS wear my Geo as a normal watch, and then dive all the time with it as well... It has survived 350 dives since October of last year and still works perfectly... it can be a little picky about batteries, but no big issue... have ordered the Geo 2.0 and will be getting rid of this one...

I don't think you're a good example of an average diver, however, as an instructor who dives nearly every day. In your shoes, I might wear a computer as a watch as well. But for most people, computers and watches aren't really the same thing, and it's debatable whether subjecting a dive computer to the hazards of everyday wear is a good idea. (When you're not diving every day (or nearly), that is.)

fxstc
03-26-2010, 19:30
Thanks for the insight everyone. I don't think I'll wear the computer as a watch full time, but probably wouldn't wear a watch all the time either. I'm pretty sure I want a computer, now it's just a matter of choosing one. I'm kinda leaning toward a GEO 2.0

cgvmer
03-26-2010, 19:33
I have the mares puck, nice part it is a single button interface, and has a large display

fxstc
03-26-2010, 19:34
I have the mares puck, nice part it is a single button interface, and has a large display

So it's easy to use and understand?

Jack Hammer
03-26-2010, 21:02
There are plenty of good computers out there. If you are looking for versatility down the road then look for a computer that offers nitrox and a gauge mode. Gauge mode allows to use it as a bottom timer if you find the need down the road.

jpomerantz
03-29-2010, 15:32
I use an Aeris Epic. Love it. Easy to read and use even for my over 50yo eyes!

Jay

reactive
03-29-2010, 15:41
Hey dude,
I have a Geo 1.0 and its a pretty sweet little computer. I really like its smaller size when compared to some of the other larger puck models. The instructions suck, but if you spend a few hours playing around with it, you'll have all the functions memorized in no time. I've had it for about 2 years now and its been on 27 dives, and I've replaced the battery once (it has a user changeable battery, which is a plus). I say go for the Geo 2.0. The 2.0 added a few nice features for the same price that the 1.0 was. Now you can go forwards and backwards through the menus and in the future, if you decide to use nitrox, it allows you to input more than one gas type per dive. The best part is that if you chip in for the data cable, you can update the firmware as updates are released on Oceanic's website! (wish the 1.0 would do this :( ) Plus you can get an extra $100 off of it if you make 250 posts on this message board (which is exactly what I did when I bought my initial setup from scubatoys).

Good luck with your purchase and your cert!

fxstc
03-30-2010, 20:47
Hey dude,
I have a Geo 1.0 and its a pretty sweet little computer. I really like its smaller size when compared to some of the other larger puck models. The instructions suck, but if you spend a few hours playing around with it, you'll have all the functions memorized in no time. I've had it for about 2 years now and its been on 27 dives, and I've replaced the battery once (it has a user changeable battery, which is a plus). I say go for the Geo 2.0. The 2.0 added a few nice features for the same price that the 1.0 was. Now you can go forwards and backwards through the menus and in the future, if you decide to use nitrox, it allows you to input more than one gas type per dive. The best part is that if you chip in for the data cable, you can update the firmware as updates are released on Oceanic's website! (wish the 1.0 would do this :( ) Plus you can get an extra $100 off of it if you make 250 posts on this message board (which is exactly what I did when I bought my initial setup from scubatoys).

Good luck with your purchase and your cert!

Thanks for the input, I went to a LDS on Sunday so I could check out a few computers in person. I left with the impression that the GEO 2.0 was probably the right computer for me. I think that is the one I'll end up with. Of course, they had to show me a Galileo Sol, which is really really nice, but I can't justify spending the money on one of those yet. I'd just like to have a nice wrist computer for when I do my OW dives. I don't know how I can come up with 245 more posts by the time I want to make this purchase to get that discount, but I'll try :smiley36:

reactive
03-30-2010, 21:00
Thanks for the input, I went to a LDS on Sunday so I could check out a few computers in person. I left with the impression that the GEO 2.0 was probably the right computer for me. I think that is the one I'll end up with. Of course, they had to show me a Galileo Sol, which is really really nice, but I can't justify spending the money on one of those yet. I'd just like to have a nice wrist computer for when I do my OW dives. I don't know how I can come up with 245 more posts by the time I want to make this purchase to get that discount, but I'll try :smiley36:

You get a $10 gift card for making 10 posts. You get an additional $50 gift card for making 250 posts. You also get an additional 10% off for being a forum member. At the very worst, you can make 5 more posts and get the 10% off + the $10 gift card.

Glub000
03-30-2010, 21:22
There are plenty of good computers out there. If you are looking for versatility down the road then look for a computer that offers nitrox and a gauge mode. Gauge mode allows to use it as a bottom timer if you find the need down the road.

+1. I use a Diverite Duo. It has a large display, nitrox,gage mode and was fairly easy to learn. I believe Zeagle and Tusa use the same (Seiko) company.

BB1
03-31-2010, 16:32
Anyone got any thoughts and experience of the OCeanic VT3/Aeris Elite T3 (same computer)??

Looking for first wrist mount myself, criteria it must meet is nitrox capable and fit in a DSS bungee mount which limits the choices a little bit but I'm prepared to live with that.

Not sure I need air integrated really but if the price is close enough - why not?

Another option I have been looking at is the Uwatec Tec2G - supposed to have a good, not to conservative algorithm.

fisheater
03-31-2010, 19:39
I'm loving my VT-3 with DSS mount.

Smashee
03-31-2010, 19:59

Same here.

navyhmc
03-31-2010, 20:08

Same here.

I'd love to have a VT-3 to love....does that count?

BSea
03-31-2010, 20:44
Anyone got any thoughts and experience of the OCeanic VT3/Aeris Elite T3 (same computer)??

Looking for first wrist mount myself, criteria it must meet is nitrox capable and fit in a DSS bungee mount which limits the choices a little bit but I'm prepared to live with that.

Not sure I need air integrated really but if the price is close enough - why not?

Another option I have been looking at is the Uwatec Tec2G - supposed to have a good, not to conservative algorithm.
I have the Aeris. I just liked the layout a little better than the Oceanic. Other than that you might as well flip a coin. I personally like the wireless AI. It's been 100% so far, but I still use a SPG as backup. Previous to this I had a Suunto DS3. For some reason it would fail to sync to the transmitter about 1 in 5 dives. That's the reason I went with the Aeris. I had an Oceanic as my 1st computer, so I guess I went back to what worked for me.

EDIT: +1 on the DSS mount