PDA

View Full Version : Dan Tags?

georoc01
09-05-2007, 13:52
We have the thread on Dan Insurance Below..how many of you bought the Dan Tags? If not, what do you carry in case you become unconscious during diving?

I know I initially didn't. However, after watching a diver collapse on my last dive, I bought one for my BCD. It has my DAN info and their phone number on the front and my emergency info on the back.

If you dive with the same people every time and they would know that for example I have a travel pouch that had that info in the dry pouch in my dive bag, that would be great, but I realized that it seems to be the exception rather than the rule lately and the investment seemed worth it?

Zenagirl
09-05-2007, 15:02
My husband and I always dive together so we know where to find eachother's information.

Texas Girl
09-06-2007, 10:04
I have one on my BC, and when I get around to it, I will get one for my husband and son. It makes it very easy to find your BC among the racks of black ones. I do wish the tag was a little smaller.

Coaster
09-06-2007, 10:07
I wear one on my BC.

texdiveguy
09-06-2007, 10:11
I have one...but don't carry any longer on dives...its in my dive bag.

wxboy911
09-06-2007, 10:13
I don't have one yet but it makes sense to have it clipped to the BC. I have all my DAN info on the front page of my log book as well.

TxScubaBear
09-06-2007, 10:23
When I was in OW last year, our instructor pointed out the positives in wearing it on your BC, especially if you dive with some "new" folks that may not know what you keep where; for me the $20 bucks was worth the peace of mind, not only for me but my wife as well.
I know some folks gripe about the cost- guess what? It helps to support them; I had a medical question concerning deep dives yesterday and called them, nice to have a medical staff on hand to answer your questions when you need it.

Scuba-Bill
09-06-2007, 10:31
Would it be better to wear the tag on your person as opposed to your BC? If your BC were removed during rescue and/or transport to a medical facility your info might be missed.

Maybe a tattoo with the DAN logo and your info...ok, maybe not. :)

Just a thought...

TxScubaBear
09-06-2007, 10:50
The nice thing is the "neon" colors really are an attention getter...

Bill22
09-06-2007, 11:23
Would it be better to wear the tag on your person as opposed to your BC? If your BC were removed during rescue and/or transport to a medical facility your info might be missed.

Maybe a tattoo with the DAN logo and your info...ok, maybe not. :)

Just a thought...

Hmm not sure where else you could put it. I kinda like your tattoo idea though ;-) I've been thinking about what to get for my next one. Thanks! :-)

Xspect
09-06-2007, 11:55
I put my tags on my BC

Capt Hook
09-06-2007, 12:06
Never thought much about it, guess I should look into it.

scubasamurai
09-06-2007, 12:48
technically the bc is suppose to go with you, along with the rest of your equipment, so the recieving hospital can look at the equipment ( like they know) what happen to you might be related to equipment failure and look at your dive computer ( in theory). but a good point, plus working in the medical field, you know how many times in the thick of things people forgot to look for a medical alert tag??? lots of times. it is hit or miss, i guess that is why the tag is pretty large, slap you in the face kind of thing!!!

mentalmarine
04-04-2008, 08:06
Soooo, I realize that this thread is old, but I wanted to ask again do people think that it is worth it?

TxScubaBear
04-04-2008, 08:20
Sure- peace of mind for both me and my non-diving wife..
AND it helps support DAN's research for us as divers

CompuDude
04-04-2008, 15:30
I don't like stuff clipped to me unless it's needed in a specific location, so not for me. It's not a bad idea, however... one of these days I might get dog tags made with similar info, which can be worn under my exposure suit. You can get separated from a BC more easily than a necklace...

terrillja
04-04-2008, 15:45
I have the DAN tag+, always on my BC, so I have all my med info as well as a signal mirror. A cheap piece of mind.

MSilvia
04-04-2008, 15:46
We have the thread on Dan Insurance Below..how many of you bought the Dan Tags?
Not me.

If not, what do you carry in case you become unconscious during diving?
Generally speaking, a buddy. Now that you mention it though, it might be a good idea to make sure they know my DAN card is in my wallet. I may even make up some tank stickers.

jtkkym
04-04-2008, 17:09
I don't have one yet. I'm thinking about getting one.

Zyxistal
04-04-2008, 18:15
I have a medical alert tag (necklace) that I always wear regardless of whether or not I'm diving that has all the necessary information on it. I'd hope that at least one diver I'm with knows the number to DAN (its programmed into my cell phone as well as my wife's.)

fisheater
04-05-2008, 00:25
I have the DAN tag+ clipped to my lower, left D ring.

I also have lots of DAN gear tags on my gear.

cummings66
04-07-2008, 18:32
I don't carry much beyond what I need for a dive, but I do have ALL my DAN info in my logbook which I keep with me in the car at all times, mostly for the air fills if I get carded, which I rarely do.

Redfish
01-19-2010, 00:06
Old post but has anyone figured out the best way to mount the dan tag? I do not trust the plastic clip it comes with.

DevilDiver
01-19-2010, 07:22
For the past 2 years I have worn the Road ID when diving and/or traveling.

Link here:
Road ID® (http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx)

It is extremely durable and comfortable...never mind the fact that it might save your life someday, it can be laser engraved with your emergency contact information. It comes standard with two 3M reflective stripes to enhance your visibility and is available in six colors.

When customizing it I just used my DAN # and DAN's contact info, my personal information and emergency contact info is registered with DAN so if their is any issue I trust DAN to make proper contacts over a dive op or good samaritan in some foreign location or local lake.

I still give to DAN because it is a more than worthy cause and and the services and research that they provide is invaluable.....

rmkrause
01-20-2010, 19:19
I don't like stuff clipped to me unless it's needed in a specific location, so not for me. It's not a bad idea, however... one of these days I might get dog tags made with similar info, which can be worn under my exposure suit. You can get separated from a BC more easily than a necklace...

Your in luck - Road ID does make a dog tags version

Recon
05-28-2010, 16:47
Just revisited this thread the other day to remember what company you said makes the bracelet DD, and ordered it, and now i have it on my wrist, could NOT be happier with the RoadID® product.

~Recon

ontheheap
06-02-2010, 21:56
Did you just put the DAN info on the bracelet part? Like the phone number and your member number? (For the Road ID)

I keep meaning to buy the DAN tags for me and my wife but keep forgetting. We mostly dive together and keep our DAN cards in our dive logs but in an emergency who wants to be ruffling through a dive bag/log.

Recon
06-02-2010, 23:45
I put my name, birth year, my wife's name and number, my dan member number, the dan contact number, the phrase "CALL DAN!!!", and "NEVER GIVE UP" on it.

~Recon

ontheheap
06-03-2010, 00:01
I put my name, birth year, my wife's name and number, my dan member number, the dan contact number, the phrase "CALL DAN!!!", and "NEVER GIVE UP" on it.

~Recon

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Did you get the sport variety? And you've had no problems with rusting I assume?