PDA

View Full Version : Kettlebell

mrmccoy
03-31-2010, 05:39
I picked up a kettlebell last night and did a few of the basic exercises......wow!
Just about every exercise has some type of core workout involved. I could only find was a 15lb. at the store which seemed like it would too lite. It was a little lite at first but on some of the exercises it was about right for me.
I haven't really worked out on a regular schedule since high school but I have finally made up my mind to stay with it. I have about 3 weeks untill we go to Destin,fl to do some diving and would like to shed a few pounds by then and continue working out.

Back on topic:
I stumbled onto high intensity kettlebell training and figure I will give it a try.
Anyone else use a kettlebell on the regular basis ? Any tips?

Lulubelle
03-31-2010, 06:10
I picked up a kettlebell last night and did a few of the basic exercises......wow!
Just about every exercise has some type of core workout involved. I could only find was a 15lb. at the store which seemed like it would too lite. It was a little lite at first but on some of the exercises it was about right for me.
I haven't really worked out on a regular schedule since high school but I have finally made up my mind to stay with it. I have about 3 weeks untill we go to Destin,fl to do some diving and would like to shed a few pounds by then and continue working out.

Back on topic:
I stumbled onto high intensity kettlebell training and figure I will give it a try.
Anyone else use a kettlebell on the regular basis ? Any tips?

I think they are fantastic as most of the movements recruit every muscle in your body. You will need more than one weight though, depending on the movement you are doing. For a squat/swing for instance, 15 pounds probably isn't enough for you.

Biggest advice I can give you is be very careful with your back posture when you are doing swings, keep your back in the proper position, and with some of the arm movements over head, make sure you control your range of motion so that you don't torq out your shoulder.

I love them!

mrmccoy
03-31-2010, 06:17
The 15# was the only one I could find locally but they normally have a 25# which I will try to get the next time they have one. I think the 15# will be perfect for my g/f. YouTube has helped me a ton with some of the exercises.
I can feel it from the little bit I did last night.

I know 15# won't be enough for the squats and lunges but It will help me get the movements figured out.

Lulubelle
03-31-2010, 06:27
The 15# was the only one I could find locally but they normally have a 25# which I will try to get the next time they have one. I think the 15# will be perfect for my g/f. YouTube has helped me a ton with some of the exercises.
I can feel it from the little bit I did last night.

I know 15# won't be enough for the squats and lunges but It will help me get the movements figured out.

I was referring to the swing, you do a partial squat, kettlebell between the legs, then snap up and over your head. I use 25-30 for that but then again my trainer showed no mercy, he trains MMA fighters. It's hard from the first one. You will still need the lighter ones for the single arm/shoulder type things.

russp
04-28-2010, 14:59
A few of the kettle bell sites I found had the average man starting with a 35 LB bell but I went with a 25. It seems a liitle light for a few of the excersizes so I do extra reps but for other excersizes, I would have never gotten a 35 above my head. I guess if I really stay with it I'll pick up a few more sizes. I'm working off of a poster I found on Amazon.com with about 13 different excersizes on it.

mrmccoy
04-28-2010, 15:22
Youtube has lots of different variations of the common movements. The 15# was way too light to start with but ended up being perfect for my g/f.

vegas911diver
04-28-2010, 15:29
I work with some world class and former olympic athletes. They love kettleball classes offered by our PT staff. Have fun

brojack17
04-28-2010, 16:13
I workout with Kettlecorn.