PDA

View Full Version : Swimming with the Manatee..anyone ever done this?

creativenomad
04-01-2010, 07:19
I was thinking of going to Florida after I return from my vacation to see te manatee. I have always been intrigued by these wonderful creatures. Are the as harmless as they appear. Where is thhe best place to find them? Are they in other places besides Florida?

ScottZeagle
04-01-2010, 11:19
They are completely harmless.

I have swam with them numerous times in the Crystal River area of Florida.

They come up into the springs (where the water stays a constant 72 degrees) during the winter. The best time to swim with them at Crystal River, as best I recall, is between December and the end of February.

Hope that helps a bit...

Scott

Travelnsj
04-01-2010, 11:33
I swam with them last year (Feb) in Florida...the oceans temps were cool so there were quite a few sleeping beyond the ropes and a couple came out to play.

dkh6070
04-01-2010, 13:48
I did it at Crystal River. Completely harmless. While snorkeling you can just hang out and they swim up to you.

boates
04-02-2010, 11:06
you will enjoy your diving adventures much more, if you start to research marine life. Your attraction to the manatees conveys interest, yet no knowledge of them. The only incident I've read of a negative experience was 1 of a swimmer stroking a manatee to the point of it becoming aroused, resulting in the manatee hugging the swimmer till they settled on the bottom. Swimmer got away. Manatee not aggressive, just confused!

dkh6070
04-02-2010, 11:09
you will enjoy your diving adventures much more, if you start to research marine life. Your attraction to the manatees conveys interest, yet no knowledge of them. The only incident I've read of a negative experience was 1 of a swimmer stroking a manatee to the point of it becoming aroused, resulting in the manatee hugging the swimmer till they settled on the bottom. Swimmer got away. Manatee not aggressive, just confused!

Wasn't you, it was a friend right?:smilie39:

jet126
04-02-2010, 12:44
My dive buddy was up in Crystal River back in Feb - here is a link to his blog and also video clips. There are manatees year round but the "season" is pretty much over now.

Video Dude Productions Blog Page | Video Dude Productions (http://www.videodudeproductions.com/blog/)