PDA

View Full Version : ever been to villa blanca in Cozumel?

rayaa3
04-05-2010, 12:28
So - couple of the guys and I are doing a "boys weekend" in July, to Coz to do some diving (cheap fast trip). We are staying at Villa Blanca, based mostly on cost, and secondly on proximity to dive shops that I like to use.

I was wondering if anyone stayed there before and had any advice about good, reasonably priced food within walking distance (10 minutes walk) of the hotel. We'll likely go downtown on the last night and have something like guido's, or la mission. However, we are hoping to do a night dive Saturday night, so we will want to keep it simple. Also - someplace close for lunch in between getting back from the morning boats and going out on the afternoon boats.

Oh, and if anyone else will be there at that time, we'll be down July 9-12, diving on the afternoon of the 9th, all day on the 10th, and the AM boats on the 11th....going to use ScubaMau.

Ray

Defman
04-05-2010, 13:55
It's been several years, I only stayed there once, and the trip was shortened due to illness. Hotel is OK for a budget place, I got the "superior" room. TV in room, no phone.

I haven't been to CZM in about 5 years (solving that problem in 2 weeks!!) so I don't know what is or is not still there. Food next door at Hogtown Restaurant is pretty good, basic bar type food, and is usually where I spend my between dives time. Breakfast is awesome, banana pancakes ROCK!! I think some other stuff has popped up in the area too. Town is pretty close, so it's not too far. Stop by the grocery store and pick up some snacks.

TRACI
04-05-2010, 14:18
Even though you are not diving with Papa Hogs, they do have some excellent food, and very cheap! You need to try the poblano pasta, it is usually a special, they only serve a couple of times a week, it is yummy!

scubagirlj
04-05-2010, 15:28
saw a gigantic margaritaville about 100 yds away, as we slowly made our way south to dive sites-might have been a mirage though

rayaa3
04-05-2010, 15:57
everyone - thanks good suggestions all.

@Traci - yeah, sans Papa Hogs for this trip, as they don't do a 2 tank afternoon run, usually. I used Mau on the last trip, as I wanted to do a discover dive with the daughter (which we didn't end up doing) - but I liked them. Same boats as papahogs, same group size. VERY accomodating from a schedule/itinerary point of view, price is the same, and they don't charge me extra if I use plastic. PH is great, and I love the divemasters, when the wife and I go, and only do the 2 tank morning boats, then we'll likely return to PH.

We are only diving for a day and a half, so we are fitting in as much as we can...

Friday afternoon - shore check out dive for weight/gear check.
Saturday AM - boat 2 tanks
Saturday PM - boat 2 tanks
Saturday Night dive boat or shore depending on what's available.
Sunday AM - boat 2 tanks - that's it - no more diving.

Sunday night we'll likely play around town a bit. Then Monday after lunch, we fly home.

Defman
04-05-2010, 16:14
everyone - thanks good suggestions all.

@Traci - yeah, sans Papa Hogs for this trip, as they don't do a 2 tank afternoon run, usually.

hmmm... wonder when that started, they used to do 2-tank afternoons?

Diver Kat
04-05-2010, 16:42
It's been some years since we stayed at Villablanca, but the superior rooms were okay - big & basic. We were always on the main floor so we could walk out to patio door to the pool & gardens. Back then they only had a snack bar. These days I understand they have added a small dinner only restaurant, and there is now a small convenience store as well. The snack bar still serves breakfast and lunch. From the website, it looks like they've spruced the place up a bit. Papa Hog's has Hog Town Cafe for breakfast & Lunch and Blue Angel has a restaurant that I think does breakfast, lunch & dinner just a few minutes walk.

Villablanca Garden Beach Hotel, Cozumel (http://www.villablanca.net/Villablanca/index.html)
Papa Hogs Scuba Emporium of Cozumel - Mexico (http://www.papahogs.com/site/cafe.php)

DevilDiver
04-05-2010, 18:34
There is a small version of Mezcalitos next to Mau's that serves food also.

You can also order pizza and have it delivered to the Palapito Beach Bar acroos the street.

Margaritaville is about 15-20 min walk toward town....... There is is place called the No Name Bar just past Margaritaville that has realy good food also.

gee
04-05-2010, 23:53
Try lunch at Lapalapita (sp?)-it's just a few steps away from the dock you'll be using. Villa Blanca has an on-site restaurant. Another nearby restaurant is La Hach that I've heard is good.

For cost and diveop convenience you're made a great choice. Have a great trip!
So - couple of the guys and I are doing a "boys weekend" in July, to Coz to do some diving (cheap fast trip). We are staying at Villa Blanca, based mostly on cost, and secondly on proximity to dive shops that I like to use.

I was wondering if anyone stayed there before and had any advice about good, reasonably priced food within walking distance (10 minutes walk) of the hotel. We'll likely go downtown on the last night and have something like guido's, or la mission. However, we are hoping to do a night dive Saturday night, so we will want to keep it simple. Also - someplace close for lunch in between getting back from the morning boats and going out on the afternoon boats.

Oh, and if anyone else will be there at that time, we'll be down July 9-12, diving on the afternoon of the 9th, all day on the 10th, and the AM boats on the 11th....going to use ScubaMau.

Ray

scubarobin
04-06-2010, 09:22

Ray

you need the map:
MapChick's Cozumel map and travel guide (http://www.cancunmap.com/cozumel-map.html)

robin:smiley2:

rayaa3
04-08-2010, 09:14
Thanks for all the info everyone, it sounds like we won't go hungry.