PDA

View Full Version : New Safety Valves

CWSWine
04-06-2010, 11:15
I'm getting ready to purchase some tanks and notice they had choice of valves. What do you think of these new safety valves?

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/5/6/2/8/valve.jpg

skdvr
04-06-2010, 11:53
Might be nice for instructors to get a good visual reference on their students.

Phil

BSea
04-06-2010, 12:40
As long as they don't introduce additional parts that might cause a failure, I don't see the harm. I do see the benefit, but if it's much of a price difference, I'd pass.

BubblesMcCoy
04-06-2010, 13:06
Nice product. I think I'd still be more comfortable just checking the pressure/flow during my predive checklist as I always do. Not sure that I'd not do the check just because the valve looked "on".

CompuDude
04-06-2010, 14:13
As long as they don't introduce additional parts that might cause a failure, I don't see the harm. I do see the benefit, but if it's much of a price difference, I'd pass.

Nice product. I think I'd still be more comfortable just checking the pressure/flow during my predive checklist as I always do. Not sure that I'd not do the check just because the valve looked "on".

+1 to each.

dkh6070
04-06-2010, 14:39
I've seen this on other application outside of scuba. It is only the handwheel in those cases and I could only assume it would be similar here. You could probably just replace the actual handle itself to be the indicator handle without regard to the valve unless they are trying to make money by only selling it installed on the valve.

ssmdive
04-06-2010, 15:16
Just seems like added stuff. I don't think it is too hard to check to make sure your valve is on before you go diving.

My fear is that people will stop doing the checks they should be doing because some added piece of gadget tells them they are good.

Example: How many people actually can run a dive table and do.... Vs how many just trust their computer.

So as long as it supplements good practices and does not replace them and it does not add a failure point.... I see no problem, but I also don't see much benefit.

navyhmc
04-06-2010, 16:58
I kind of like it. As the others have said, it would be nice for an instructor with students to be able to look at a glance and see where a valve is at but it doesn't remove the need to double check it. It would be nice as a confirmation, but I still think a good practice is a good old fashion hands on. Still if it's fail potential is low as well as the additional cost, go for it.

Tassie Diver
04-06-2010, 17:05
I like the idea - with the proviso that it doesn't increase potential fail points.

Dive supervisors would be able to visually confirm valves are on before their cattle (sorry, clients) jump off the boat...

Flatliner
04-06-2010, 17:09
It might be nice to have on my kids tanks. On my tank I'm not sure. I always take a few deep breaths from my reg watching my pressure guage right before I splash and I wouldn't be able to see the red or green if the tank was on my back anyway. If my tank is off, it's going to be because a well meaning DM turned it off. That's why the LAST thing I do is watch the guage and breathe deep.

cbope
04-07-2010, 12:21
Not sure I get your comment about a well meaning DM turning your valve off. I sure don't want someone else, even a DM for that matter, playing around with my gear. Especially if I have already gone through my pre-dive checks.

Why would a DM purposefully turn off someones valve? That's an awful risky thing to do, no matter who the person is or the reason behind it.

It might be nice to have on my kids tanks. On my tank I'm not sure. I always take a few deep breaths from my reg watching my pressure guage right before I splash and I wouldn't be able to see the red or green if the tank was on my back anyway. If my tank is off, it's going to be because a well meaning DM turned it off. That's why the LAST thing I do is watch the guage and breathe deep.

CompuDude
04-07-2010, 12:27
Not sure I get your comment about a well meaning DM turning your valve off. I sure don't want someone else, even a DM for that matter, playing around with my gear. Especially if I have already gone through my pre-dive checks.

Why would a DM purposefully turn off someones valve? That's an awful risky thing to do, no matter who the person is or the reason behind it.

DMs in areas with lots of "vacation divers" often do a final check to make sure people's air is on, as they check you into the water. Many even do it around here (SoCal... not nearly as many vacation divers as the tropical destinations). Problem is, sometimes they get it wrong. (per the reports I've read... it's never happened to me)

Flatliner
04-07-2010, 14:27
CD got it right. I have dove several places where the DM checks your valve right before you giant stride. I just wait to do my final check until after that. Nobody has ever turned mine off but better safe than sorry. The "well meaning" is because IF they turned it off, I am sure it wouldn't have been intentional.

captain
04-15-2010, 20:21
Another product looking to solve a non existent problem.

Splitlip
04-15-2010, 22:01

Agreed. I've seen them. Pretty cool. But for me there is no substitute for a pre flight, um I mean, pre dive checklist.

No Misses
04-16-2010, 11:10
I think that it is a great idea. It is so good that it should not be limited to only this aplication. Here are some more places where it would work.

Light Switch- Red for off / Green for on. How many times have you wondered. Is it daytime, or is the light turned on?
Faucet - Red for off / green for on
Car ignition - Red for off / green for on

The possibilities are endless

DivingCRNA
04-16-2010, 11:23
I'm getting ready to purchase some tanks and notice they had choice of valves. What do you think of these new safety valves?

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/5/6/2/8/valve.jpg

Just because the valve is open does NOT mean that there is gas in the tank...

Flatliner
04-16-2010, 11:55
I think that it is a great idea. It is so good that it should not be limited to only this aplication. Here are some more places where it would work.

Light Switch- Red for off / Green for on. How many times have you wondered. Is it daytime, or is the light turned on?

While I appreciate the sense of humor, I do see a genuine benefit to this for instructors etc. I wouldn't put it in the same category as tank bangers for instance...

CompuDude
04-16-2010, 12:34

While I appreciate the sense of humor, I do see a genuine benefit to this for instructors etc. I wouldn't put it in the same category as tank bangers for instance...

The one proviso many of us has made is this: It's not a bad thing as long as it doesn't introduce any additional failure points.

I have yet to see any information on this one way or another. If I had to make an educated guess, I suspect there is a gearing mechanism or some sort in there that could be considerably more susceptible to damage than a standard valve is (especially to impacts, like when a tank tips over and the handle hits something). If that's the case, I would MUCH rather have a standard valve instead of the added "convenience" of the visual indicator. This includes work as a DM, or standard diving, doesn't matter which. If it's possible for something to crack inside the indicator, and break pieces off later in such a way that operation of the non/off valve is impaired, that would be a terrible addition.

Flatliner
04-16-2010, 13:27

The one proviso many of us has made is this: It's not a bad thing as long as it doesn't introduce any additional failure points.

I have yet to see any information on this one way or another. If I had to make an educated guess, I suspect there is a gearing mechanism or some sort in there that could be considerably more susceptible to damage than a standard valve is (especially to impacts, like when a tank tips over and the handle hits something). If that's the case, I would MUCH rather have a standard valve instead of the added "convenience" of the visual indicator. This includes work as a DM, or standard diving, doesn't matter which. If it's possible for something to crack inside the indicator, and break pieces off later in such a way that operation of the non/off valve is impaired, that would be a terrible addition.

Agreed

Splitlip
04-16-2010, 16:17

:smilie39:

ianr33
04-17-2010, 07:08

Totally agree.

Will the different colors even be distinguishable underwater? (Red is the first color lost)

navyhmc
04-18-2010, 19:48
Just because the valve is open does NOT mean that there is gas in the tank...

Very good point. :smiley20: Does this mena I have to look at my SPG too?:smiley36:

CompuDude
04-19-2010, 22:30

Totally agree.

Will the different colors even be distinguishable underwater? (Red is the first color lost)

If you're more than 10' underwater and your air is still off, the valve already failed it's primary purpose of making sure it's on before you got in the water!

vegas911diver
04-25-2010, 10:38
/quote]

What a coincidence, that while I has taking my PSI Valve tech class, I received on of these valves with my order from XS SCUBA. I took the valve in to the instructor and we disassembled this valve and look specifically at this device. The green part slips on over the bonnet nut and the red part threads over that. The red sleeve rests inside the valve handle and actuates when the hand wheel is turned. There are no moving mechinisms, just simple threaded technology. It is a tough material and I do not see breakage as a problem, and if breakage where to occur, there is no interference with the opening or closing of the valve. The working opening and closing seat rests sealed inside the valve, by the bonnet nut.

vegas911diver
04-25-2010, 11:04
I found a schematic of a XS Din Valve with the outline of the installation of the on/off indicator. It should also be noted that this can be easily removed if it is not desired by the diver. But both me and the PSI Instructor are in agreement, that this really does not belong on a manifold or as part of a Tech Diving realm. But it is another adjunct, of the SCUBA world always trying to reinvent its self.