PDA

View Full Version : Best Budget Fins?

JipThePeople
07-12-2007, 23:20
My 18 year old son is in the market for a set of fins. He is going to get his OW Certification this summer but he is on a limited budget. Any recommendations?

mwhities
07-13-2007, 12:57
Depends on what budget means to you.

For me, I'd spend 60-100.00 on SP Jets fins. They'll last 10+ years.

Michael

Vercingetorix
07-13-2007, 13:04
The type of fin is dependent upon his swimming ability and style. For instance, if he is a strong swimmer, then go for a blade. If he's average, perhaps a split fin or hybrid. I pissed away $100 on a set of AquaLung Blades II. These are long and stiff, and I do not have strong legs. I was tired within 5 minutes.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I changed to hybrids and have no problems.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Don't skimp on personal gear (mask, fins, boots). Get gear that is comfortable and does the job. Otherwise, scuba becomes less fun.</DIV>

jacewindu
07-13-2007, 14:00
i agree on spending money where it counts. mask, bc, and fins are some of the things that matter most to making a diver comfortable in the water. a good pair of fins will last a long time, so it's worth it to get something good.

frankc420
07-13-2007, 14:47
Just browse the fins sections of this site: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Fins.asp

Anything they sell is going to be good. No crap sold at this store!

Joew
07-13-2007, 15:35
For a good value he might want to look at Mares avanti quattros or Scubapro jetfins. You should be able to pick up either of these for under $100. If he'll only be diving in warm water from a boat or easy shore entry then full foot fins might be a good option. They're usually cheaper than open heel fins and you won't need to buy booties.

dannybot
07-14-2007, 23:27
I have the Tusa Liberator X-10 fin, it's okay, I got my wife the Mares Avanti Quatro, she couldn't tolerate them, so we switched, she doesn't tire with the Tusa, and doesn't need to strain to keep up. I recommend the open fin for either, so you'll need booties too

bobbin-along
07-15-2007, 11:37
TheCortez is actually a decent fin, made by XS Scuba and around 50$. There are some in the local shops rental fleet and are quite popular to be picked out first. Considering the shop also has cressi and scubapro in rental it's not just a name identity thing.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The Oceanic Viper actually surprised me in how well it did when we tested out fins.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Or you can buy used there's nothing wrong with used gear.</DIV>

dk2943
07-15-2007, 23:03
The Mares X-3s are the best value. They are a competent fin for about $50.

dk2943
07-15-2007, 23:06
go with the Mares Avanti x3's you will not be disappointed. They are very similar to the highly rated Quattros, but cost about $50.

przeor
07-16-2007, 02:07
I'd say it's personal pref (like everyone else has said), but I enjoy my jet fins- you could get them on ebay for a good price (usually around $30). Add a pair of spring straps and you're set to go for the next 30 years!

frankc420
07-16-2007, 08:14
If your son doesn't have strong legs, I would highly discourage against purchasing Scubapro Jets. Flutter kicks do not work well with them, so he would have to use frog kicks to get around.

I personally own the OMS slipstreams, which are a clone of the Scubapro Jets, but lighter. I like to flutter kick and with these fins it wears me out to flutter, frog kicks however I can do forever it seems. I'm in the market for a pair of split fins just so I can flutter when I want! smileys/smiley1.gif

WaterRat
07-16-2007, 09:35
Jet fins are my fovorite as well. Good value, last forever, plenty of power and able to do any kick needed. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them or any one of the Jet Fin clones.

ScubaJW
07-16-2007, 16:12
Apollo biofins, so comfortable and easy to use. I hate Scubapro twinjets, the pockets are not as comfortable as my Apollo.

Joew
07-16-2007, 17:25
Apollo biofins, so comfortable and easy to use. I hate Scubapro twinjets, the pockets are not as comfortable as my Apollo.

Apollo makes nice fins, but they're pricey. The OP was looking for a good budget fin.

tx.lakerat
07-17-2007, 16:39
I LOVE my Apollo biofins.. no leg cramps and can get where I need to be in a hurry! I recommend them - well worth the money

ScubaJW
07-18-2007, 19:17

Apollo makes nice fins, but they're pricey. The OP was looking for a good budget fin.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Gotta love Ebay or Craigslist http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif</DIV>

94GTStang
07-19-2007, 00:24
I like my Aeris velocity (not full foot) fins. Seem to work great and they were under $100.

TAH 73
07-19-2007, 06:54
For a good value he might want to look at Mares Avanti quattros.
<DIV>Agreed, I have been diving Quattro's for 10 years and they are still one of the best reviewed fins on the market.</DIV>
<DIV>Under 100 bucks, and if you ever get rid of them easy to sell.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

frankc420
07-19-2007, 07:24
There is no such thing as a budget when it comes to Scuba gear! smileys/smiley2.gif

the gooch
07-19-2007, 10:06
I have a set of Mares Avanti X3's that I got for around $50. They have been a great fin.

ScubaToys Larry
07-20-2007, 20:24
Or there is the new oceanic split fins that Joe should get on the page this next week... They are about $99, then take your ScubaToys Forum 10% discount - knock off another 10 bucks when you hit 10 posts, and they are practically free!

I'm just a huge fan of splits. Not everyone is. Just those that know what they're talking about. smileys/smiley2.gif

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 20:38
I'm just a huge fan of splits. Not everyone is. Just those that know what they're talking about. smileys/smiley2.gif

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ok, I'll bite.When I started diving again, I immediately bought Avanti Quattros from you because that's what I dove with my last dry suit 10 years ago. While I notice they wear my legs a lot more than they used to (probably that old age thing), I'm still happy with their performance. How would a pair of splits compare to them? Can I frog kick in them? </DIV>

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 23:31
While on the topic of fins, maybe someone will be able to answer this. I havesize large bio fins and have not had a chance to check the fit with a new drysuit. The suit has size 9 soft soled boots attached; any thoughts on if they should fit or not. Before any comments, I am unable to try the suit on due to a recentinjury.

robo
07-31-2007, 09:14
I have some old Mares Avanti Quattro fins and they work well for me.

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 15:20
EBAY! you can usually find used fins dirty cheap on ebay. then if you don;t liek them...REBAY!

BSea
07-31-2007, 15:25
For a good value he might want to look at Mares Avanti quattros.
<DIV>Agreed, I have been diving Quattro's for 10 years and they are still one of the best reviewed fins on the market.</DIV>
<DIV>Under 100 bucks, and if you ever get rid of them easy to sell.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

I agree. I've had mine for about 10 years, and have not really considered anything else. I think the same could be said of the Jet fins.

medic001918
07-31-2007, 15:29
Another vote for scubapro jet's. They're a great fin. If you can afford it, add the spring straps and live happily ever after.

Shane

WaterRat
07-31-2007, 16:04
SP Jet's vote here to. There are usually used pairs all over ebay. They tend to last a long time so used is a good option with these.

Ron

nferra2
08-08-2007, 22:34
Larry, when are those Oceanic Split fins going to make it to the website? Would they be comparable to the Tusa Zooms, or would the Zooms be 30% better than the Oceanic splits?

namabiru
08-09-2007, 11:29
I have a pair of Aeris Mako fins, which are pretty inexpensive. I bought mine new/used privately, complete with spring straps, for $54 shipped.

What you might do is decide what you want, then post in the classifieds. I'd post on ScubaBoard, Divematrix, and here. Then you reach a wide audience. Chances are you can find something.

Or ring ST--perhaps they are thinking it is time to clean out the rental gear room, and might peddle you a set of used fins for a small price.

One thing about this would be your son could dive some more, decide what he wanted to get for sure, then start putting money away for a good set. That's kind of why I bought the cheap Makos--so I could dive and get experience. I like them, but I've decided my next set will be splits.

porsche060
08-12-2007, 17:11
always believe a good bc is most important

i agree on spending money where it counts. mask, bc, and fins are some of the things that matter most to making a diver comfortable in the water. a good pair of fins will last a long time, so it's worth it to get something good.

vel525
08-13-2007, 10:12
If you're on a budget you should get a pair of used fins on ST or SB forums. Of course there's also eBay. There's plenty of good options. My wife got a pair of use Cressi Frogs for about $15! I prefer jets or quattros. I only tried splits once and didn't care for them (that's cause i just like using frog kicks :D)
Good luck.

nferra2
08-16-2007, 16:11
Anyone have any impressions of the Tusa Imprex's. The seem like a decent buy on a budget.

namabiru
08-17-2007, 11:20
Yeah, there you go. Ebay would also be a good place to look. In fact, the fins I ended up purchasing were originally on Ebay (I saw them there), but didn't bid. Then they showed up on SB, for $10 below the original asking price.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy fins off Ebay, if you can see pictures and such.

Darth Fishhead
08-17-2007, 22:42
Im actually very happy with my Aqualung Blades 2. Compared to what others have said, I do have strong legs, (kinda don't match the rest of my flab) so I feel that I get a lot of thrust with them.

blue_passion
08-12-2008, 11:57
I know this thread is kinda of old but it has a good variety of information about fin preferences. As a few have said before, it truly is a personal preference. I bought a pair of Tusa X-pert zoom splits and I absolutely love them! I have wide feet and they are very comfortable.

Anyone else have more information about Aeris Mako fins?

frozenwarp
08-12-2008, 12:32
I'll throw another vote in for the Mares Quattro as mentioned there a good fin for a good price, I find them to be fairly good for control and still not too hard on the legs (although i love my SP twin jets) these are a bit expensive.
And another not the Mares are on sale a ST now

character157
08-12-2008, 12:40
These are the ones I am looking to get...

Aeris Velocity Duo Fin, Fins, Aeris, Aeris Velocity Duo Fin (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AerisVelocityDuoFin)

With the discount they are about $90. I do also like the looks of the Hollis fins but they are a bit more. It might be worth waiting to get exactly what you want in a fin rather than buy something you will want to replace in a couple of years.

BuzzF117
08-12-2008, 15:33
Yeah don't get stuck with fins you don't like. I have Tusa xpert zooms that I don't like due to my hip problem and I don't have the $$ to replace them so im stuck with em.

hooligan
08-12-2008, 19:14
I've had Mares Quattros for quite some time, but now those new Hollis fins might have me reaching for my wallet... Shhhh don't tell the wife.

abcitydiver
08-13-2008, 02:56
another vote for the aeris velocity duos. Great little splits and I bought mine at the LDS for about $75, as stated before: try ebay, but stick to the brands mentioned here ...and definately go for splits.

Aussie
08-13-2008, 07:35
I think the hollis F1 fins with their built in stainless spring are a outstanding fin for the price. I think they will be a fin that someone will buy and have for a lifetime (similar to SP jet fins)

Regards Mark

mrbheagney
09-02-2008, 18:53
You can get thzese really cheaply

beperkins
10-16-2008, 10:17
Tusa xpert zoom full foots are a great value and all the cressi open heel fins are fairly inexpensive.:smiley20:

shawnwill36
10-27-2008, 08:32
try the oceanic vectors or tusa liberators from scuba toys. they are under $30 and are great for starting starting out.