PDA

View Full Version : Best custom wet suit Manufacturer

Kidder
09-05-2007, 22:39
I am going to be looking for a custom wet suit for my wife and was wondering who did the best with custom suits? ie: affordability and quality.

Flatliner
09-05-2007, 23:30
I dove with a guy who had a liquidfit. He seemed very happy with it. I think that most manufactures will do custom. You might try sending Larry a pm to ask what he could offer.

Zenagirl
09-06-2007, 08:33
I've always heard good things about LiquidFit suits as well.

Kidder
09-06-2007, 22:11
Liquidfit sounds good I'll check them out
Thanks for the replys

thesmoothdome
09-06-2007, 22:51
I have a place in San Diego called Sea-Me Repair, who makes custom suits and does repairs on dry suits. Quality stuff. Karen, the owner, has been doing work for me since the early 90s and I wouldn't go anywhere else. That said, it's not snazzy, slick work. It's functional and top quality though.

ChrisA
09-07-2007, 00:35
I am going to be looking for a custom wet suit for my wife and was wondering who did the best with custom suits? ie: affordability and quality.

You really want a local custom maker. How you are measured matters. Best to be measured by the person who will make the suit.

Oour local custom suit makers explains that the off the rack suits have to depend on "ultra-stretch" material in order to get the fit right but because custom is made just for you he can use stiffer neoprene that does not compress as much at depth and will last longer.

One more thing. She may not need a full custom suit. Many times an off the rack suit can be modified for not much money. Anyone who can make a custom suit can modify one. Ask. You can save about $100 this way.

skdvr
09-07-2007, 17:31

You really want a local custom maker. How you are measured matters. Best to be measured by the person who will make the suit.

Oour local custom suit makers explains that the off the rack suits have to depend on "ultra-stretch" material in order to get the fit right but because custom is made just for you he can use stiffer neoprene that does not compress as much at depth and will last longer.

One more thing. She may not need a full custom suit. Many times an off the rack suit can be modified for not much money. Anyone who can make a custom suit can modify one. Ask. You can save about $100 this way.

I second this. I would call a few of the LDS and ask them if they know of any custom wetsuit shops around. That may be doubtful in the Midwest. If not I too have heard nothing buy good things about lilquidfit. www.liquidfit.com

Phil

CompuDude
09-07-2007, 20:19
The BEST is a slippery term, because different people define what constitutes "best" in vastly different ways.

The warmest custom suits are made by www.wetwear.com, because they're the only ones still using Rubatex.

If you're looking for stretchy material, don't: it's not needed if the suit is fitted right. Stretchy materials deal with depth compression poorly... but they're comfortable, because the stretch compensates well for the fact that they don't truly fit you as well as they should. Warmth is less critical in a 3mm destined for wear in warm water than is is for a 7mm suit destined for use in cold water climates.

I will say I've heard good reports about LiquidFit's customer service, and people seem pretty happy with their suits, too. I've also heard good reports about AquaFlite (http://aquaflite.com/) as well.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 09:30
Do you think that getting measurements from a seamstress would suffice?

skdvr
09-08-2007, 09:50
I would talk to the manufacture and see what they recommend that you do. If they have a sheet on their website that shows you where to measure then you would be fine doing it yourself I would think. Otherwise I think that a seamstress would no what she is doing enough to do the measurements correctly. I would just make sure that I explained to the person doing the measurements that it is supposed to be form fitting. Give the companies a call and see what they have to say...

Phil

meesier42
09-12-2007, 21:24
I have 2 Oceaners, they are really quite good suits, but the "BEST" really comes down to the little things that the company puts into the suit. But when it comes down to it, the accuracy of the measurements and the person taking them is critical, specially in thicker suits. For reference, when I was measured for my suits there were at least 30 measurements. If the company that measures you out for a suit doesn't do at least that much I would be very leary about buying anything from them.

For example- each leg was measured separately, in length and circumference. With circumference measured at the ankle, below the calf, on the calf, bottom of knee, top of knee, etc. The more information they have the better the suit will fit. And make sure that you wear shorts and a t-shirt as any clothing in the way of the measurements will destroy the accuracy.

All that being said, unless you have a body shape that is significantly different than the "averagae" you can normally find an off the shelf suit much cheaper. The problem is that most LDS only carry the average sizes, and don't carry the wierd ones, like the XL short in womens. They can order it for you, but most will want to stick you with it even if it doesn't end up fitting well. Although I'll bet the guys at ST will go out of there way to help you out.

Kidder
09-12-2007, 22:51
I have 2 Oceaners, they are really quite good suits, but the "BEST" really comes down to the little things that the company puts into the suit. But when it comes down to it, the accuracy of the measurements and the person taking them is critical, specially in thicker suits. For reference, when I was measured for my suits there were at least 30 measurements. If the company that measures you out for a suit doesn't do at least that much I would be very leary about buying anything from them.

For example- each leg was measured separately, in length and circumference. With circumference measured at the ankle, below the calf, on the calf, bottom of knee, top of knee, etc. The more information they have the better the suit will fit. And make sure that you wear shorts and a t-shirt as any clothing in the way of the measurements will destroy the accuracy.

All that being said, unless you have a body shape that is significantly different than the "averagae" you can normally find an off the shelf suit much cheaper. The problem is that most LDS only carry the average sizes, and don't carry the wierd ones, like the XL short in womens. They can order it for you, but most will want to stick you with it even if it doesn't end up fitting well. Although I'll bet the guys at ST will go out of there way to help you out.

Wow 30 measurements! We looked at a lot of the standard sizes from a variety of different manufacturers. none fit poperly they were all either too loose or too tight in some areas. That was the other thing with LDSs that I didn't understand. They all offered to order something, but said we'd have to take it. Why would we do that? If we aren't totally sure. Do you know if this comes from the manufacturer or is it just the dive shop. At least with buying it online we can return it.