PDA

View Full Version : Pets: My mom's sun conure flew away!!

ScubaGir1
09-06-2007, 00:18
My mom is so sad and heart broken :smiley19:
I feel so bad for her. Her sun conure was her baby. I personally didn't like that bird, he was mean to me, but I feel so bad for my mom :(

Has anyone had experience with getting a parrot back after it flies away?
She already put his cage outside, but no luck yet. It happened this morning.

scuba Widow
09-06-2007, 08:33
I am sorry to hear that...I don't have any suggestions to get him back...I hope she gets him back soon.

mwhities
09-06-2007, 08:51
Parrot soup!

Just joking. I thought they got attached to their owners so much that, if you were to give the bird away, it'd starve and die because it was lonely and missed the original owner.

Michael

Subaqua
09-06-2007, 09:02
Feel sad for your mom. Leaving the cage outside is a good idea. Maybe put her favorite food near the cage if that is not already done. Hope she'll come back soon

Osprey
09-06-2007, 09:15
Leaving the cage outside is fine, as well as food. Statistically, a lost parrot will not go farther than a few miles from the home. The best thing you can do is alert your local vets, shelters, and pet stores about the situation (people who find lost birds sometimes assume they can keep them. With the area knowing about the animal, it's easier to get your pet back). Are there words he knows? A specific pattern (more green than usual suns, etc)? Give them photos and tell them about these special traits

The next thing to do is go outside and start calling! Since he SHOULD be within the area (parrots are creatures of habit, unless something scares him into moving farther off, he shouldn't want to go far), you might be able to hear him, but keep an eye out, a scared parrot won't be yelling if he thinks he's in danger from a hawk or similar threat. Keep trying. He'll be listening for his flock- that's YOU!

What to do once he is home: Take him to a vet to get him checked out. There are mites, mosquitoes, and other birds carrying lots of unwanted things. Make sure the bird didn't get run into them!

Also, leg bands sometimes work for ID perposes, but microchipping can be a lifesaver too. There is some debate on parrots with microchips, so ask your avian vet for more information.

Good luck, you are in my thoughts!

ScubaGir1
09-06-2007, 14:11
Leaving the cage outside is fine, as well as food. Statistically, a lost parrot will not go farther than a few miles from the home. The best thing you can do is alert your local vets, shelters, and pet stores about the situation (people who find lost birds sometimes assume they can keep them. With the area knowing about the animal, it's easier to get your pet back). Are there words he knows? A specific pattern (more green than usual suns, etc)? Give them photos and tell them about these special traits

The next thing to do is go outside and start calling! Since he SHOULD be within the area (parrots are creatures of habit, unless something scares him into moving farther off, he shouldn't want to go far), you might be able to hear him, but keep an eye out, a scared parrot won't be yelling if he thinks he's in danger from a hawk or similar threat. Keep trying. He'll be listening for his flock- that's YOU!

What to do once he is home: Take him to a vet to get him checked out. There are mites, mosquitoes, and other birds carrying lots of unwanted things. Make sure the bird didn't get run into them!

Also, leg bands sometimes work for ID perposes, but microchipping can be a lifesaver too. There is some debate on parrots with microchips, so ask your avian vet for more information.

Good luck, you are in my thoughts!

Thank you for the help. My mom is miserable :(
I'm going home this Friday to help, I hope its not too late.
The summer heat has been pretty bad, and I'm sure there isn't much water.
The parrot is so attached to my mom, but something really scared her and she just took off squawking towards a huge park behind my parent's house.
The search will continue!

scuba Widow
09-06-2007, 14:36
Please let us know how this turns out.

scuba Widow
09-06-2007, 15:08
Sorry about the double post but I found this website that has some great tips on finding a lost pet bird.

http://www.cafabirdclub.org/lost.htm

ScubaGir1
09-06-2007, 15:24
Sorry about the double post but I found this website that has some great tips on finding a lost pet bird.

http://www.cafabirdclub.org/lost.htm

UPDATE!! My mom JUST found her bird!

So my mom has been out since 6am driving around and calling out for her bird. And all of the sudden Simone (the bird) responded back. So my mom stopped the car and got out and called for her again, and realized that Simone was in someone's garage! :smiley20:

The people said they were going to wait until today before they called animal control, they wanted to see if there were any posters up. My mom asked them how they found her, and they said that Simone had swooped down and landed on the woman's head and scared the crap out of her when she was going to her car :smiley36:

My mom is SO happy!!
I can't believe it, a little over 24 hrs. and she found her bird!!

dallasdivergirl
09-06-2007, 15:27
Great news!

I am sure you Mom & the bird are both relieved.

scuba Widow
09-06-2007, 15:32
That is great news!!!!!I am so happy for both of them.

Subaqua
09-06-2007, 17:33
This is great news! I'm so happy for you.

Osprey
09-06-2007, 23:23
Told you, LOL.

I'm glad he's back home, I hope he checks out ok!!

ScubaGir1
09-06-2007, 23:25
Told you, LOL.

I'm glad he's back home, I hope he checks out ok!!
Apparently, when my mom got her home, she ate and then feel fast asleep. Poor thing must have had quite a day :smiley2:

Osprey
09-07-2007, 10:42
LOL I Bet!! That's a big adventure no doubt about it :)

mwhities
09-07-2007, 11:28
So, no parrot soup? :(

hehe I'm glad they are back together.

Michael

Osprey
09-07-2007, 11:35

Don't jump the gun, any parrot owner will tell you several instances when they would love nothing more than a sample of parrot soup! LOL

Just look at my poor wooden desk :( It has strips taken out of it!!

quarrydiver
09-08-2007, 23:35
Glad to see the happy ending!

diverdad
09-09-2007, 16:13
i glad your mom got her bird back. it's nice to hear of happy endings once in awhile.:smiley32:

finflippers
09-09-2007, 16:19

Don't jump the gun, any parrot owner will tell you several instances when they would love nothing more than a sample of parrot soup! LOL

Just look at my poor wooden desk :( It has strips taken out of it!!

Our Umbrella Cockatoo that we used to have decided to try eating a small spot in the middle of the wall and even the bottom molding on the wall. Our poor couch didn't even stand a chance against her.

Cheddarchick
09-09-2007, 16:43
Yippee!!!