PDA

View Full Version : Any one diving besides me??????????

Lake Michijim
04-13-2010, 19:31
I have already visited most of the local wrecks and taken fellow dive club members out to test new gear. I cannot believe I'm the only one diving. So who's out there doing what???? :smilie40:

navyhmc
04-13-2010, 19:42
I'm doing taxes, working and planning the first aid for a boy scout camporee...Not diving dammit!

Dove all the local wrecks already? I do believe that I'm begining to loathe you lake! :smiley36:

Lulubelle
04-13-2010, 20:09
It's still waaaayyyy too cold for me to dive. Last year, I started at the end of May...too cold. I'm aiming for June.

I am, however, in the final stages of planning some FABULOUS dive trips. Leading candidates include Bali land/Komodo liveaboard, Fiji land/GBR liveaboard, and the Galapagos. Little Cayman already booked for summer. There is going to be some serious diving going on this year.

in_cavediver
04-13-2010, 20:22
I'm heading to North Florida for some cave diving Thursday - does that count?

As for the lakes - I'd love to get out but for us who are several hours away - its a crapshoot this time a year - and a lack of charter operators running. Water temp is no biggie. Its not solid so we are good to go.

Lone Frogman
04-14-2010, 04:30
I'm diving most every weekend. In the cold quarry's in the south.

Lake Michijim
04-14-2010, 05:30
I'm doing taxes, working and planning the first aid for a boy scout camporee...Not diving dammit!

Dove all the local wrecks already? I do believe that I'm begining to loathe you lake! :smiley36:

Boy Scout Camporee? Wow, you are a brave man! My son is still a scout, but since he got into the Explorer program with the local fire department, scouts have gone by the wayside for him. I think he prefers the FD camp outs because they are in a warm building instead of a tent in the snow. They feed him pretty well too. Ha, an important perk for a teenager. They do a lot of interesting hands on stuff too. He did miss out the other night though. He should have been out in the water with me doing the line search (practice) with the dive rescue team. Some of the explorers were out clad in gumby suits. Interesting evening.:smiley2:

Scuba Pete
04-14-2010, 07:13
2 things. First In_cave you suck. I wish i were joining you.

Lake I gotta go out with you sometime. I am moving up to Volo in June so I wont be to far away. My weekends have been crazy with trying to find a house and my parents coming up to visit. I think May is looking good so far. April is all booked i think. I may just have to take a day off during the week to go.

bassplayer
04-14-2010, 08:20
Hopefully picking up a 7mm wetsuit this weekend. If this works out I plan on getting wet next weekend....burrr!!

navyhmc
04-14-2010, 09:49

Boy Scout Camporee? Wow, you are a brave man! My son is still a scout, but since he got into the Explorer program with the local fire department, scouts have gone by the wayside for him. I think he prefers the FD camp outs because they are in a warm building instead of a tent in the snow. They feed him pretty well too. Ha, an important perk for a teenager. They do a lot of interesting hands on stuff too. He did miss out the other night though. He should have been out in the water with me doing the line search (practice) with the dive rescue team. Some of the explorers were out clad in gumby suits. Interesting evening.:smiley2:

By a quirk of coincidence, I'm out there with an EMS explorer post-I get to sit back and advise while they do the work. But I still have to be there.

We also do the first aid for the district cold weather camp out called Trapper's Rendezvous. We too have a heated tent and the food's good: I do the cooking. This year, we had 4500 scouts attend.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
04-21-2010, 16:14
I'm heading to North Florida for some cave diving Thursday - does that count?

As for the lakes - I'd love to get out but for us who are several hours away - its a crapshoot this time a year - and a lack of charter operators running. Water temp is no biggie. Its not solid so we are good to go.

Just an FYI Windy City Diving is open and running charters. Last weekend conditions were 25-30ft vis with temps in low 40's. Too cold for me but I know you dry guys love it!

PvtStash
04-24-2010, 18:58
10 so far this year... jus' my local mudhole... (Whitestar Quarry)temps been ranging 42-49 degrees its not bad if the sun is out and there's little/no breeze..., but when the wind kicks up and the sun goes behind some clouds it can suck mightily...

crosseyed95
05-09-2010, 15:36
Bay of Green Bay

Went to the Hackley - Found the wreck on the new sonar but no buoy. Lots of fishing nets around so I think it got ripped off. Will be back later to redo since I don't like to grapple with nobody left on the boat.

Found the buoy on the Jenni Bell and got the float back on. Tied up and dropped down for the first deeper dive of the year. Visibility was 30+ at he surface with no particulates. Checked sub-surface buoy and all rope connections to make sure it's safe for everyone to leave their boats. After about 40', the visibility increased to about 50' but lots of particulates. Pretty good current running on the way down but only slight on the wreck. Temp was 46 surface, 41 below and 39 on the wreck. There were two thermoclines. One right above the Jenni Bell at around 85' and one at about 5'. But as you can see by the above, temp change wasn't enough to make it feel like the tropics.

Lots of silt on the wreck. More than I've seen in previous springs. Cleaned up area around artifacts since silt had collected about 3" deep around them. Did a quick tour of the wreck. Yep, nobody stole it :)

So, Jenni Bell is all set and good for anybody who wants to tie up.

crosseyed95

navyhmc
05-09-2010, 17:39
Now, that's what I like about a lot of divers! I nominate Crosseyed for a diver of the year award!

Lake Michijim
05-10-2010, 05:12
Thanks for the report Crosseyed! I'm looking forward to getting up that way during the next few months. I see that the reward for finding the FJ King has been bumped up to $2000.00. I really need to run the sidescan up that a way!

Paco
06-06-2010, 09:53
Jim,

I just joined this forum. Yes, I've been diving, too. Cozumel in March, twice to Big Cedar near West Bend, a couple times to Devil's Lake and a couple dives in a local quarry near Beaver Dam.

How are things with Deep Six?

Mike

Lake Michijim
06-07-2010, 12:40
Jim,

I just joined this forum. Yes, I've been diving, too. Cozumel in March, twice to Big Cedar near West Bend, a couple times to Devil's Lake and a couple dives in a local quarry near Beaver Dam.

How are things with Deep Six?

Mike

The Deep Six is alive and well. We've been hitting all the local wrecks. I did the Hetty Taylor and the Selah Chamberlin last weekend. Memorial Day we did the Island City and Mahoning. Some of the Guys and Gals did the Niagara too. We did the raising of the moorings in Sturgeon Bay too. I was down south for a couple weeks in May and missed out on a bunch of stuff. About the only thing we haven't done is update our website. have to get that done. :smiley36:

Jim

Paco
06-07-2010, 15:00
It's OK not to update the website if you're busy diving

Lake Michijim
06-07-2010, 20:33
I dove the Niagara this afternoon. LOTS of fish on the wreck. Alwife, suckers, Perch, Stickle backs, chubs and of course burbot. I fixed the guideline to the boilers which some knob cut last fall about three weeks ago. I am pleased to report it is still there. You'll find it at the north end of the boiler saddle near the mooring heading northwest initially. Bottom temp was 57 today. Really comfortable diving.

navyhmc
06-07-2010, 21:59
It's OK not to update the website if you're busy diving

I'm going to use that on the wife as to why I went diving instead of mowing the lawn! :smiley20: :smiley36:

Paco
06-07-2010, 22:36
I dove the Niagara this afternoon. LOTS of fish on the wreck. Alwife, suckers, Perch, Stickle backs, chubs and of course burbot. I fixed the guideline to the boilers which some knob cut last fall about three weeks ago. I am pleased to report it is still there. You'll find it at the north end of the boiler saddle near the mooring heading northwest initially. Bottom temp was 57 today. Really comfortable diving.

Glad to hear that. The last couple times I dove the Niagara it wasn't there. Hopefully next time I get a chance it will still be tied on. I've only been to the boilers twice. Thanks for doing that.

Lake Michijim
06-08-2010, 04:38

Glad to hear that. The last couple times I dove the Niagara it wasn't there. Hopefully next time I get a chance it will still be tied on. I've only been to the boilers twice. Thanks for doing that.

It's a clothesline thickness nylon cord and I have put rocks on it every couple of feet to keep it on the bottom. That way it's less likely that a fisherman will snag it.

mzbdiver
06-20-2010, 14:12

Boy Scout Camporee? You an assistant Scoutmaster Navy?

navyhmc
06-20-2010, 15:25

Actually I'm the committee chairman of an EMS explorer post. We do a number of the first aid assignments for our local council's larger events. Post 911 - has a nice ring to it. :smiley36: :smiley20:

BUT!!!! Next weekend is diving!!!! YEEEHAAA!

mzbdiver
06-20-2010, 16:32

Actually I'm the committee chairman of an EMS explorer post. We do a number of the first aid assignments for our local council's larger events. Post 911 - has a nice ring to it. :smiley36: :smiley20:

BUT!!!! Next weekend is diving!!!! YEEEHAAA!
Hopefully I'll be able to rejoice for the same reason

Lake Michijim
06-20-2010, 16:54
My son is still in scouts and has been luke warm to it. He has since become an explorer with the local fire dept which he loves. He's been to functions where he has to teach scouts stuff. Ha, he thinks that's great! I joined the dive rescue squad this year and my son kids me about having senority over me. Ha.

navyhmc
06-20-2010, 23:21
Good on both of you! Now, get him to be a surface tender for the dive team. :smiley20: