PDA

View Full Version : Dry Suit Repair Question

Mrline
04-17-2010, 09:40
It is time to replace the wrist seal on my Bare NEX GEN drysuit and there is not enough rubbber let after removing the damaged area to glue a new gaskett onto. That said I was wondering if there is a special procedure for removing the old gaskett, such as chemicle or heat aplication? This will be my first time so I am sourcing the wrist gaskett from leisure pro, two for $28.00 and will use MEK as a cleaner, Cotol as an acelerator and Aqua Seal as an adhesive. This was the only procedure information that I have. NRS - Gasket Repair Instructions (http://www.nrsweb.com/repair/gasket_replacement.asp)

If anyone has some insight or experince with this please share it with me.

Flatliner
04-17-2010, 09:53
I am not sure that the aquaseal will hold up. A lot of dry suits use a heat activated contact cement so a heat gun might do the trick to loosen the old seal. If you are going to do anything beyond the wrist seal, I would suggest the airspeed press book on dry suit repair.

EDIT: I use the contact cement from OMS for my repairs.

ScubaToys Larry
04-17-2010, 10:00
If you decide that you want someone to do it for you, we do lots of dry suit replacement of seals... The seals are $28, and replacing them is $35. And yea, you need to carefully heat and remove, then get it super clean with solvents and then use heat activated glue on a template block to reseal... Then close them off, inflate, and spray soap to look for any bubbles or leaks.

Mrline
04-17-2010, 10:22
Thanks for the tip I looked for the book and it looks like it costs about $50.00 delivered. Anywhere else I might get it?

Mrline
04-17-2010, 10:35
How much is it to do both wrists and the neck?

Flatliner
04-18-2010, 16:19
To be honest, if saving money is a motivator you are better off to have someone like ST do it for you. I do quite a bit of DIY and only occasionally do I actually save money.

For instance, I am in the process of learning to service my own regs. I admit I bought all the tools I need and didn't skimp on that (even bought a larger ultrasonic cleaner) but I figure I could have sent my set to ST for the next 10 years or so before I break even.

That's OK, money wasn't my reason for learning...

fisheater
04-18-2010, 18:50
To be honest, if saving money is a motivator you are better off to have someone like ST do it for you. I do quite a bit of DIY and only occasionally do I actually save money.

For instance, I am in the process of learning to service my own regs. I admit I bought all the tools I need and didn't skimp on that (even bought a larger ultrasonic cleaner) but I figure I could have sent my set to ST for the next 10 years or so before I break even.

That's OK, money wasn't my reason for learning...

Good point.

It's like fishing to save money on fish.

Mrline
04-20-2010, 08:39
Good feedback I packed it up and sent it out yesterday after removing all the seals I realized this was a task best left to a person with more experince.

Is it possible to install neopreme seals instead of the rubber ones?

CompuDude
04-20-2010, 14:54
Good feedback I packed it up and sent it out yesterday after removing all the seals I realized this was a task best left to a person with more experince.

Is it possible to install neopreme seals instead of the rubber ones?

Yes, just tell whoever you are ordering the repairs from that you want to change to neoprene seals... if you're sure that's what you want.