PDA

View Full Version : Sorrento Italy

Snake Wake
04-18-2010, 22:39
We (my wife & I) are heading to Italy next month and plan to dive in Sorrento Italy but have never dove in the Med. Has anyone got any experience in the Med or Sorrento, Italy. I have talked to a PADI dive outfit and all is good. But don't know about the water temp, vis and what to expect. We are use to the warm carribbean.

Snakle Wake

stewy42
06-04-2010, 12:32
We (my wife & I) are heading to Italy next month and plan to dive in Sorrento Italy but have never dove in the Med. Has anyone got any experience in the Med or Sorrento, Italy. I have talked to a PADI dive outfit and all is good. But don't know about the water temp, vis and what to expect. We are use to the warm carribbean.

Snakle Wake
hi snake
i dived in sorrento 2 years ago viz is 15 metres plus water temp was 24*C not a massive amount of fish life i was taken into a cave but my guide had said they get shoaling barracudas the outfit i dived with used 5mm full wetsuits there equipment looked in decent condition the guide was a good guy hope you enjoy it

Noob
06-04-2010, 13:37
I know its not Sorento but I swam in the Med around Piscara when I was there a few years ago. All I had on was shorts in September. Where I was at had some current to it too.

If your in Sorento watch out for Lemon Chello(spelling) its dangerous stuff.:smilie39:

mcr0112
06-20-2010, 18:33
Many years ago (mid 70's) I dove at Pozzuli (spelling?) just north of Naples. It is the home town for Sophia Loren. There was an ancient roman city that was sinking into the ocean. Depth was from the surface to about 25 feet. Vis was good some days and terrible others. Used just T-shirt and shorts for protection. I was in the area for 18 months and dove it many times from the shore. No guide just a buddy.

Lulubelle
06-20-2010, 18:44
I know its not Sorento but I swam in the Med around Piscara when I was there a few years ago. All I had on was shorts in September. Where I was at had some current to it too.

If your in Sorento watch out for Lemon Chello(spelling) its dangerous stuff.:smilie39:

There is some great diving in the Northern part of Italy (Elba, Portofino marine reserve, etc). I know someone on scuba board who does some wreck diving in the south. PM me if you want me to ask him about it.

Limoncello is not to be feared, you must be thinking grappa. Nasty stuff imho.